“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis London Blackfriars

Save Saved
You added Ibis London Blackfriars to your Saves list
Ibis London Blackfriars
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8NZ, England (City of London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
UP TO 30% OFF THIS SUMMER
Ranked #191 of 1,075 hotels in London

1,133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

An excellent hotel located very close to Waterloo Mainline Station (10min walk), the Globe Theatre & Tate Modern (10min walk), West End theatres (via taxi) and access to the City via Blackfriars bridge (15min walk).

Staff were really polite on arrival and we were presented with a room key straight away. Room was very clean and well presented. The twin beds could easily be pushed a foot apart if required. The breakfast for £8.95 was quite varied and plentiful and if you chose, you could have fruit, cereals, cooked breakfast & toast with coffee & fruit juice.

The only two minor gripes were:

1). The bed as it seemed to have two mattresses, so when you moved around in bed, the two mattresses moved which meant the bed itself also moved which we then had to keep putting the beds back into the correct position.

2). The light on the outside of the bathroom, my roommate didn't realise I was in the bathroom and so turned the light off leaving the shower in darkness. A pull switch inside the bathroom area might be of benefit.

All in all an excellent hotel and one I'll definitely use again should the need arise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive comment following your stay in our hotel. I was really happy to read that you have enjoyed staying with us ! Thank you as well for the various improvement points that you took the time to mention. We strongly believe that such feedback can help us improve our guest experience !
Isle of Wight
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Just spent two nights at the Ibis Blackfriars over the bank holiday weekend and overall was very happy with the experience.

Hubby and I were very impressed by the standard and range of the breakfast for the money (much less than regular London prices) and the hotel's public areas. Budget hotels tend to scrimp on the lobby and decor but the hotel was lovely with chic and modern touches to make it look more expensive than it really was.

The rooms were as you would expect from the chain with basic decor, a basic but comfortable bed and the "pod" bathrooms. But they were a good size and in our case there was a great view towards the Oxo Tower, National Theatre and London Eye. One thing I would say was the bed base creaked and made a cracking sound - we were worried it would break while we slept!

In terms of location the hotel was actually very well placed. A short walk from blackfriars rail station and southwark tube station, the hotel was also about five minutes away from the South Bank and 20 minutes from St Paul's. so while not immediately central, it was close enough.

I would stay there again, although I must say there are other places the other side of the river I'd rather book first.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for your message. I am really pleased to see that you have been impressed by the design of our hotel. Thank as well for having highlighted the quality of our breakfast ! I hope you will give us the chance to welcome you again in the future !
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I would like to share your impressions about the hotel since I was first in London and it was a business trip. I'm with my wife and another friend stayed in this hotel for 3 nights last week (August 14-18). I loved its location not far from center 15-minute walk from the London Eye and the metro is 200 meters from the hotel itself. Staff of the hotel was on a high level, the hotel itself is new and the rooms are new, clean and well maintained, the only cons is a refrigerator and a safe which is not present in the room. The hotel has a bar where you can sit with a partner to discuss about business and drink a beer or other drinks. Not far from the Hotel there are local pubs where you can eat and drink the local beer of different varieties. The hotel has free wi-fi at a moderate speed which operates for 24 hours after the time needed registration . if I go again in London then come back to this hotel and also advise others as low price and quality the best .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I would like to thank you very much for having given us a 5 out of 5 for your stay in the Ibis London Blackfriars. I am really happy to read that you have been convinced by our value for price paid ! To follow up on your remark, let me take the opportunity to mention here that we have some safes available at the reception and our team will be more than happy to leave one at your disposal for free. I hope we will get a chance to welcome you again in the near future !
Craiova, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This Ibis hotel is a good hotel, has a great location (20 minutes' walk from Big Ben and 2 minutes' walk from Southwark underground station) and the staff is friendly and helpful.

Although the room is rather small and so is the bathroom, the furniture looks good and the TV is one of the latest models on the market. The bed is very comfortable and that's really an important part of the room, it allows you to have a good night sleep. I liked that I had HD programs available and also a lot of inputs for the TV (USB, HDMI, etc.). The room is modern and nicely arranged, there is a small desk near the window, there are 3 power outlets. There is free WiFi available in the entire hotel, only that you have to register every 24 hours in order to activate it, and the speed is not that good. If you want good speed, then you would have to pay £5 per day. But the free WiFi works OK, I mean you can check your email and visit web pages without issues.
The breakfast offers a variety of food for you to choose from: beans, sausages, omelet, croissant, milk, cereals, fresh fruit, jam, butter, salami, things like that. Although, as you can see, you have quite some options to choose from, there are the same each day. The room where you have breakfast is located near the reception desk but is modern and looks good. You can also have lunch and dinner in there and the food is quite good (comparing to other restaurants in the area). The food menu doesn't have a lot of options and the prices are a little big, but the atmosphere there is pleasant and quitter than the pubs and restaurants in the area.

Some bad things about the room would be that there isn't actually a closet, only some shelves, there isn't a fridge, the door at the bathroom closes with a big noise and the floor in the bathroom squeezes kind of loudly when you walk on it.
Another bad thing is that there is quite some noise around, especially if you have your window open, but I guess that comes as natural for a hotel located in the center of a busy city as London. If you want a quiet place, then you go somewhere at the edge of London, but then again, you are not close to the attractions and famous buildings anymore. So, in a nutshell, I think the noise is a price that you pay for being in the heart of the city, no matter at what hotel you are staying. However, the windows at this hotel are good noise isolators, so if you close them, the room becomes quiet.
The view was not top class in terms that I couldn't see London Eye or Big Ben or something like that, but it was not bad either, I asked for a room with a view and the receptionist was kind to give me a room at the 11th floor where I could see far away to a lot of nice, big and famous buildings (the OXO Tower, for example, could be seen very clear).

On overall, I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to visit London and have a stay in the middle of London, as I think it also offers some quality besides position and all at a good price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a high floor in order to have a nice view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Mircea, thank you so much for this detailed review following your stay in our hotel. I was really pleased to read all the elements which have participated in making your stay with us enjoyable. Thank you as well for the points of improvement that you have mentionned. This is indeed for us very valuable feedback that can help us improve further the experience of our guests in our hotel. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again !
South Morang
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Nice quiet hotel. Great breakfast. Very close to train station. Whilst the hotel has over 200 rooms. You wouldn't know they were all full. Holds the capacity well. Negative - no fridge. First place I have ever stayed at without a fridge. Staff are great and helpful. Stayed three days. Would come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathy, thank you very much for your review. I am pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay in the Ibis London Blackfriars and that you would consider coming back !

Been to Ibis London Blackfriars? Share your experiences!