“Nice steak” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comedor Grill & Bar

Comedor Grill & Bar
176 Upper St, London N1 1RG, England (Islington / Clerkenwell)
+44 20 7354 2843
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Comedor Grill & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 17,940 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Argentinean, Latin, South American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Islington / Clerkenwell
Description: Hola. I'm Federico Perez Dias, the Head Chef at Comedor. We're an Argentine Restaurant on Upper Street, Islington serving a range of classic and modern South American dishes. As you would expect we take our meat very seriously. We have 8 different cuts of steak on the menu, but also offer a range of fish, chicken, lamb and vegetarian options.
Hereford
“Nice steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I came here for a late lunch on a recent visit to London. We found it on tripadvisor after reading all the reviews. We both had fillet steak and although it was perfectly cooked and the chips were to die for the steak was quite salty and it had a herby sauce on it which was quite overpowering. I like to taste my steak as it is and have the choice to put my own sauce on if I want to do so. So this spoilt it a bit for me. The cut, size and how it was cooked was lovely though and I would go again.

Visited July 2014

• Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
“Below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I visited this restaurant with my family and we're all big fans of nice food.

The firsts were bland. The plantain with cheese,in particular, tasted of paper.

The meat was extremely disappointing. Overcooked and hard. One of us had the fish (we have a non-meat eater in the bunch) and it was absolutely disgusting: fatty, runny and tasteless. Thankfully we had chimichurri in abundance and drowned everything in it.

We were also not that thrilled with the atmosphere.

On the plus side, they serve a mean Pisco Sour and the service was excellent.

Do not recommend and will not visit again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely staff and delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

This place deserves five stars with everything. Staff is lovely. Food is delicious. On Monday's they make 50 % discount on steaks, so prices are very reasonable. If you want to go on monday, it would be better to make a reservation.

London, United Kingdom
“Nice food but awful service and treatment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I took a group of friends to this restaurant as I had visited it a couple of times previously and everything had been great (service, food, atmosphere). I promised my friends it would be a great dinner, so we all went there.

We advised them we were going to use a Tastecard, which always offers a 2 for 1 on all starters, mains and desserts. This is their rule and this is what every restaurant follows if they are covered under Tastecard.

We ordered some starters, empanadas and the provoleta. The empanadas were delicious, however the provoleta got cold very quickly so it became rock-solid and very difficult to eat eventually. It should be served with some heat under it so that it stays liquid for longer.

We decided to go for meat as we thought it would be their speciality. We tried two different options, so four in total. We found that one of the types came as a very small portion and the other one as a bigger one. The meats were good but nothing spectacular.

To finish off, we ordered the desserts. Some alfajores, which were delicious.

When we ordered the bill we found an unpleasant surprise. The restaurant had not applied the discount on all dishes agreed by Tastecard, only on two items: one starter and one of the meats.

We were surprised as every restaurant (even Comedor on my previous visits) has agreed to apply the offer on starters, mains and desserts, but they didn't this time. We asked to speak to the manager in duty, who said "they changed the terms recently".

I asked them WHEN exactly did they change them and he could not tell me, as I said I had been there in two other occasions and the discount had been applied correctly. He hesitated and advised for us to check their website as he said it was stated there.

We checked the website but nothing was shown there. He then said we should check the Tastecard website. Again, no information about any changes whatsoever, it advised "starter, main and dessert" were included.

He was arguing with us for about 20 minutes (no exaggeration) in front of all other customers, which was very embarrassing for us as it looked as if we did not want to pay. On top of that, he was putting in our mouths words we never said.

After all the show, he agreed to offer us the discount as per the Tastecard terms to which the restaurant had agreed on, but after all the experience and the unpleasant discussion, we decided never to come back to this restaurant again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ComedorGrillAndBar, Guest Relations Manager at Comedor Grill & Bar, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for taking time to leave your comment - it is extremely helpful, if not always pleasant, to hear such frank views. We work very hard to provide the best possible service and, while adverse events are very rare, we regret every time when a client like you has to suffer a less than perfect evening at Comedor.
The waiter who was serving your table was wrong and shouldn't have argued with you. In addition to reprimanding your server, and in order to avoid anything similar from happening again, we revisited two training modules for all staff: customer service dealing with complaints and the details of the promotions currently available at Comedor.
We hope that, in time, you will consider visiting Comedor again. If and when that happens, we will be delighted to hear from you!

Kind Regards
Comedor Team
London
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband and I came here on a date night based on previous reviews. From the outside, the restaurant doesn’t look like much, but is homely and welcoming once you’re in. I say it exceeded expectations, as the menu read a bit “flat”, in that the descriptions do no justice to the food when it comes out. The presentation is outstanding, and the balance in each dish was superb. Even the bread was elevated, with a range that included these amazing cheese rolls, with a side order of roquefort butter that I could have literally earthen by the bucket. We also had empanadas that came with this amazing side called “aji”, kind of a tangy slaw, YUM! My husband had the seared tuna that we agreed was as good quality as your top Japanese eateries. For our mains, we shared the beef casserole with gnocchi, and the chicken mendoza, that were both rich but had a really light touch & the balance of flavours were excellent. We’d definitely go back, it’s a really original menu, and a really decent price for what you get. My only weeny niggle is they took ages to take our drink order when we first arrived, not great on a hot evening, but forgivable.

• Visited July 2014