“Superb food in simple surroundings” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Superb food in simple surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

You might expect a restaurant called the Assiette Anglaise in the heart of residential Islington to be painfully trendy, pretentious.and expensive. Not so. This is a lovely little eatery where the food is king and the service exemplary.

The French-influenced menu is quite short but offers more than enough for most tastes. As well as starters each, we ordered for sharing a plate of one of their speciality air-dried hams - utterly delicious and further improved by the appearance of a second, complimentary platter!

Every mouthful went down a treat in our party of six; quail in a mouthwatering jus, belly of pork, onglet of beef... and my own bouillabaisse which was unusually tomato-y in flavour and texture but all the tastier for it.

The wine list is extensive, although on Thursdays they apparently have a bring-your-own evening where corkage is just £3 (we went on a Wednesday, grrrr!).

Service by two helpful guys was highly professional in an informal kind of way. I couldn't help noticing that one of them stood back unobtrusively until there was a break in conversation before presenting menus, bills etc. That's class.

Bill came to about £45 a head - not exactly cheap until I realised almost half was down to my son and his expensive taste in vino which gets even more expensive when I'm paying.

If I had one criticism, it's that the decor is a bit stark, presumably to lend a minimalist bistro-ish atmosphere. But one man's stark is another man's cluttered and it did nothing to spoil a splendid evening's dining.

• Visited August 2013

95% Recommend
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Excellent food,friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I thought this restaurant was going to be overpriced and pretentious before I went. However it really was excellent. The staff were amazing. It is without a doubt one of the best meals/experience I have had.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dingle, Ireland
“The perfect Brunch or Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Delicious tasty food. Exceptional coffee, croissants and brunch. Great service. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Good value lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was our first visit and we decided to have the 2 course prix fixe lunch for £12 per person. I had moules in a cream, dill sauce followed by a pork chop, which was cooked perfectly with a crisp layer of fat and it came with greens. My daughter had pork terrine with melba toast followed by pillow light gnocchi. We shared a bottle of house red for £15.50 and as we had some wine left, we decided to have a piece of cheese with it - they charge £3 per cheese and this came with an apple chutney, bread and fresh slices of apple. The service was lovely and the set menu changes weekly. Really worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Suresnes, France
“A great tribute to a French cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I visited a restaurant with my wife on a our holiday in England. As a French couple and lovers of our cuisine and food in general, we absolutely fell in love with the place. Absolutely professional and the kindest staff, always helpful, nothing seemed to be a problem. The food was superb, definitely worth the price. We've got a lovely table by the window and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and cosy surrounding with a bottle of a red French wine. The experience was amazing. Thank you.

• Visited May 2013