“My favourite restaurant in london” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,311 of 17,929 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“My favourite restaurant in london”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Superb food and outstanding service. I had a birthday meal planned back in January where there was a party of 20! We was informed right away when we arrived that if we could come back in 45 mins - 1 hour then they would make enough space for us to sit together and not be laid sporadically around the restaurant. I found this very honest and satisfactory as many places wouldn't go so far to make the effort. An hour passed and we arrived to find out that chicken shop kept their promise!

So on that front the service was outstanding and made our time there as enjoyable as the food. The food was delicious and the serving portion was ample - (we always have to end up taking a doggy bag for the journey home)

I'm coming back on Saturday and I cannot wait!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

herts
“Nando's for the 21st century”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I remember my first trip to Nando about 12 years ago. I was underwhelemed by the high price for what was esentially chicken and chips. I could have a got a kfc bargain bucket for that price I thought, it will never take off.
When I arrived at the chicken shop my thought process was broaldy similar; more expensive than nandos for essentially the same product; it will never take off!

But I left thinking it actually will. the chicken is chiken size not the tiny birds that Nandos provide, succulent and well seasoned. When you actually consider all the sides you get at nandos to make up for the tiny birds the chicken shop was better value. The chips are also worth a mention as they were delicious.The only downer preventing a 5 out of 5 was the fact that the staff apart from the irish guy who may be the manager are a vacouous at times and the menu on the wall is too small if your sat at the bar.
Give it a try
Iit might actually take off!
it leaves nandos looking like the new kfc ie out of date

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Chicken in the dark!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Loved it - Tasty, messy ,food overload, great BBQ sauce..

Disliked it - too blooming dark, too blooming noisy (music) and too blooming quick; our food arrived practically the minute the waiter had walked off and way before our drinks!

Maybe worth a visit but we definitely won't be shouting about it!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Chick Chick Chick Chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Yeah My Family and I are regulars at this basement eatery down the Highgate Road. The Site used to be a no goer and other Restaurants never survived ! Now Chicken is the food of the moment and Chicken Shop is packed out and if you get there too late there is a massive queue and a long wait !

Last night we arrived at just before 7pm and we were lucky to get a table of 4 straight away - being a regular we were looked after so well ( Thank you Suze ! ). We had the full works - Chicken ( Nicely cooked and well burnt on the outside ) , Chips , Salad with Avocado , Corn on the Cob , Cole Slaw and the best Apple Pie and Ice Cream !

Great Wine ( Barbera del Piemonte , Amonte 2012 ) which was perfect with the Chicken and I was given a Watermelon Sour on the House which was delicious !

Almost 20 pounds per head including drinks and tip is pretty ok and makes Nandos look unexciting ! We love the Chicken Shop Kentish Town its worth a quick visit if you want a good solid quick fun meal in a buzzy place !

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santiago, Chile
“Just genious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

what really amazed me is the idea. Essentially everything is the ambient here. The menu is chicken (1/4), chicken (1/2), chicken (whole). The dessert is a fabulous apple pie (there are other option but this was excellent). To drink (for a proud italian that's ok!) even a Moretti, strange choice for a place clearly remembering something very yankee.

Not very much, isn't it? However, this has been of my more delightful experience in that area of the town. Chicken Shop is in a basement, the furniture is brilliant. There is a big table where to sit and watch the chicken roasted. The waiver is clearly trained to chat with customers, smile to them and ask if everything is ok. Go there, is an experience apart from others.

And congratulation to whoever designed this place: he is clearly a genius! I'm sure it will be everywhere in town in a few years.

• Visited May 2013