“Good food, but expensive and service not-so-great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Burger & Lobster

Burger & Lobster
36 Dean Street, London W1D 4PS, England (Soho)
+44 20 7432 4800
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #596 of 17,938 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Soho
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good food, but expensive and service not-so-great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I visited here with my girlfriend for an evening meal in April 2013.

We'd wanted to go here for ages as we'd heard such good things about it.

When we turned up we were told there was about a 90 minute wait for a table (unless we could find a seat at the bar). Fortunately, after deciding we would wait and have a drink, a couple of bar stools became available and so we were actually able to get seated relatively quickly.

We ordered a few drinks and our food.
In case you aren't aware - the menu is pretty fixed. You have burger, lobster, or a lobster burger. I actually think that's a nice touch. No fuss here!

The food arrived promptly, and we really enjoyed it. And, from chatting to those around us, so did everyone else.

Unfortunately there was one member of staff who let the place down for me. Most of the barmen and, particularly, the woman who took our names at the door, were great - smiley, friendly, polite, helpful.

However one barman seemed to have decided he had the hots for my girlfriend. Naturally, I don't blame him. But on seeing that a lady is accompanied, most gentlemen in this situation would ease off.

Unfortunately, not this chap.

So we spent the entire evening, trying to enjoy our meal, with him trying to wave and smile and make conversation with her. Which, to be honest, she started to find annoying towards the end. But it moved from annoying to rude when any request from me would be greeted with a grunt (such as a request for some glasses of water, to which the response was 'uhh, yup') and furthermore when he came over to enquire as to how our meal was - completely ignoring me and talking only to my girlfriend.

For what came to a £70-odd bill - for which I paid - I would've appreciated to have been treated with a bit more respect than have some immature barman try and hit on my girlfriend. (Who, if you're reading this, wasn't interested).

So - great food, great atmosphere....don't take a hot chick.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
“A meal worth the miles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was coming by London en route to Amsterdam and one of the recommendations for lunch was B&L. I was taking the tube and having got off at the wrong station, i walked over a mile plus before i finally reached B&L at Dean Street. It was 15 minutes into its opening hours and already the place was more than half filled. Seeing the happy lunch crowd, i prayed the food would be worth my mile walk and boy was it worth it. The waiter gave my lunch partner and i the 3 main courses they offer - grilled Lobster, cheese burger and a lobster wrap. ONLY for variety's sake, we ordered a grilled lobster and a cheese burger. )!*(#&$)! Why didn't we just ordered 2 lobsters instead?! I am not saying the burger isn't good but hey, you don't go to a ramen shop for fried rice do you? Anyway, both dishes were good, really good. Even the salad accompanying the mains were gladly chomped down. At 20 pounds per main, it is considered cheap in london so i can understand the number of positive reviews this place is gathering. Pop by B&L if you are in london, you probably love it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went to burger and lobster with friends a few weeks ago for dinner and it was delicious. As other reviews have said it can be a bit of a wait 45 minutes -1 hour on a Friday evening for a table. However, there is a good drinks menu and the cocktails are delicious so it wasn't really a problem. As indicated in the name the menu consist of lobster, lobster sandwich or beef burger. I got the very filling lobster sandwich which is a brioche sandwich filled with a creamy meaty lobster filling with chips and a salad. It may not look like much but neither I nor my friends could finish the sandwich. My friends who got the lobster were able to finish theirs however you can pick the size of your lobster. My tip would be to ask for garlic butter for dipping if you did not order lobster as the lobster sandwiches don't automatically come with the garlic butter.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Great concept and all for 20 quid!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Booked a table of six at a relatively early time on a Wednesday night. First thing you notice is the sheer number of people filling up all the tables, as well as the entire bar area. Atmosphere is fantastic, and once we sat down, we felt relaxed and very comfortable around our table despite the noise levels.

Ordering is very straight forward - burger or lobster? Most of us opted for the Lobster, which comes with a neat little salad and chips, and all for 20 quid! Lobster was really nicely steamed and the accompaniments were great.

Our waiter was friendly and very chatty, and made sure our drinks were always topped up.

All in all, a really enjoyable meal - simple food, well executed, and certainly the sort of meal we look forward to experiencing again in the near future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Be prepared to queue but food is worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This place has received so much hype that I thought I decided I must jump on the bandwagon and try it out for myself. I went with a friend on a week night and the wait was around 40 minutes so we got ourselves a drink at the bar first. When we finally got a table the service was pretty quick to serve you and the food came out fast as well. The lobster was pretty fiddly and messy, but very tasty especially with the butter sauce. Twenty pounds for a full lobster and chips was good value and I enjoyed the meal. I didn't get to try the lobster roll but would definitely return for this as most people claim this to be the best of the three options. If you haven't been already and are prepared to wait around, it's definitely worth a try!

• Visited December 2012