“Still one of the best hotels in London” 4 of 5 stars
Review of South Place Hotel

You added South Place Hotel to your Saves list
South Place Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 South Place, London EC2M 2AF, England (City of London)   |
Ranked #17 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Basel, Switzerland
“Still one of the best hotels in London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed at the South Place again following our visit in July 2013, and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. The staff at the hotel are lovely and incredibly friendly, providing a level of service which is akin to the stature of the establishment.

We stayed in a double deluxe room and were wowed again by the design, practicality, spaciousness and luxury of the room. The only minor complaint is the wall panel controls, which have been noted by other guests. They can be hard to navigate, and its best not to touch the door controls for fear, as in our case, that the busy light is turned on and your room is never cleaned! More direction in this case should probably be provided.

We also took the opportunity to try out the members bar on the 1st floor. The space is incredible - it houses a pool table, football table, record player and mini library which make it a perfect place to bring guests. On both the Friday and Saturday night mind, it was completely empty which is a real shame.

As per July, we would recommend the South Place and look forward to coming again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Luke W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, we really appreciate it, and I was thrilled to read that you had such a great time on your return visit. Our team takes great pride in providing each guest with consistently great service and were delighted to read your kind words.

I have asked our Front Office Manager to re-train his team to ensure all the controls are fully explained upon check in so that guests are aware of how sensitive they can be.

We are also working on a calendar of events for guests and Club members at weekends which I hope you will be able to explore when you stay with us next time.

Warn regards,
Bruce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Having, until recently, lived in London all my life I'm still getting used to visiting the city as a 'tourist' and staying in hotels but having discovered the South Place Hotel that chore has now become markedly easier.

Stylish and 'trendy' without being too in your face about it, South Place reminded me of some of the more interesting Manhattan Hotels i've been lucky enough to check out. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were great, looked great, had a nice big bed and even better a lovely big bath, lots of little features, often with a nice twist, that showed an attention to detail.

The only problem I had was with the lighting system that resembles something from Star Trek, looks awesome until you stumble around in the middle of the night turning everything on because you're a drunk idiot and can't figure it out (i'll concede this is more a user problem than anything the hotel should be down voted for...).

Sadly we didn't get to eat in Michelin starred fish bar but grabbed a quick meal in the ground floor restaurant and that did us just fine. The ground floor bar was pretty cool as well, nice place to start a night and there was very good music too from the DJs, not something you'd normally expect to say about a hotel.

It's in a great location too, within walking distance or a short cab ride of most of London's generally more interesting places, Borough Market, Spitalfields/Brick Lane, Dalston etc. So lots to see and do whilst you're staying there. Anyway fully recommended, will definitely stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear johnpower L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to try 3 South Place and the bar. Music is a hugely important part of the hotel and I’m so pleased that you liked it.

It is a shame that you were not able to try Angler, but I hope that we will be able to remedy that upon your next visit to the hotel.

Yichang, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

It was my first time staying in South Place Hotel and it was fabulous!First of all, the location of the hotel is absolutely great,very convenient as it is 2 min walk from Liverpool Street tube station down a straight road. I have not had the pleasure to dine at the hotel so cannot comment on the food there. I can comment on the rooms though and ours was fantastic!It was the most basic of rooms the hotel offers and yet it felt luxurious,with extremely comfy and large bed, beautiful,soft,fresh linen, huge tv with movies on demand, mood lighting and electric blinds. The marble bathroom with installed speakers so you can hear what's playing on tv, and a walk-in shower was absolutely amazing.The staff were very polite and explained about all the dining options, bars,etc. We were extremely happy with our stay at this hotel and recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Iness18,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I was delighted to read that your stay was so enjoyable.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon and that you can try our restaurants and bars on this occasion.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Spotless, large room and bath tub, modern, quiet hotel.

One thing to note if you book with a debit card they take £100 deposit from you upon arrival in case you use anything from the mini bar - it is immediately credited back into your account upon departure. When I was booking I did not notice anything on the website mentioning this. Other than this could not fault the hotel. Was a lovely stay and the receptionists were friendly, chatty/helpful and surprisingly laid back..

Cleanliness is a massive thing in any hotel I stay in and I have to say this is probably one of the cleanest/well kept hotels I've stayed in. Didn't use the sauna (or realise it was free upon booking) but was told upon arrival it was 24 hour and we were welcome to use it at any time free of charge. Would definitely return.

Location is ideal. Great stay at the South Place!

Dear Claire D,

Thank you very much for your kind words, I was delighted to read that you had a lovely time when you stayed at the hotel.

The £100 deposit is a standard charge which applies to all guests and is common throughout the hotel industry. Payments can be taken from a credit or debit card and are refunded fully upon checkout. Following your feedback we are adding information about the deposit to our website in the rate policies section, as well as the booking confirmation emails so guests are aware of this prior to booking and checking in.

I do hope we will see you again at South Place Hotel soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed at South Place hotel on a mixed business/pleasure trip and found the whole experience superb. I had little interaction with the hotel staff (because nothing went wrong!) but ate in both restaurants and found the staff there both professional and friendly. For me the highlight of the hotel is the sheer quality of both the basic design, and the in-room amenities and services - up to date and well thought out.
The restaurants are both excellent, and a big contrast - the downstairs one noise and lively, the rooftop one quieter as perhaps befits its Michelin star status.
I had no issues with sound though given the sheer volume of happy conversation and music on the ground floor I can imagine it might be a problem for some...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Otoman,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I was so pleased to read that you had such a great stay, and were able to visit both of our restaurants.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Sherborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Oh my word, our stay at South Place could not have been better. Having been brought up in a 5 star hotel as a child I have always been pretty fussy but the staff at South Place made our stay wonderful.
We were there for my niece's wedding and nothing was too much trouble. The staff have been so well trained and seem to anticipate your every need without being perched on your shoulder.

The rooms are luxurious, and the food (we only ate in the brasserie downstairs, need to return to eat in the fish restaurant) was superb!

On leaving I mentioned that I would be returning for a girls weekend and the member of staff on reception commented that be sure to mention that when booking as they would organise us some massage and beauty treatments.

Can't wait to go back. Not the cheapest but certainly worth every penny!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear E J W,

Thank you so much for your kind words, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback, coming as it is, from an expert.

I was thrilled to read that you and your family chose South Place Hotel for such a special occasion, and that you had such a great time when you stayed. I highly recommend Angler, which won its first Michelin star last year.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you return.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Just back from SPH after an overnight on Moday.
All i can say is what a place. From the style and staff this place gets a solid 5 from me!

I have been lucky enough to stay at a few nice hotels across the world and would have to put South Place Hotel very near the top of that list.
You often find with some style type hotels they can be very bland and lacking atmosphere.... Well not here.

Everything just seems to be right, from the wonderful staff, to the food and everything in between. Also anyone who gives you access to your own turntable in the games area is a winner for me!!

I could wax lyrical about SPH for a while but why dont you just get booked up and see for yourself...........You wont be disappointed!

Cant wait for my return.

South Place Hotel you are a breath of fresh air in the London Hotel scene. Credit to all involved!!

Dear Grant M,

Thank you so much for such an enthusiastic review. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay so much, and were able to explore the entire hotel. We’ve had some great feedback about the turntable and we are always keeping an eye out for new records to add to our collection so look out for them on your next visit.

Bruce

Been to South Place Hotel? Share your experiences!