“A gadget lovers dream” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 1,073 hotels in London
UK
“A gadget lovers dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Staying at the South Place Hotel was a true 5* experience. The service we encountered on our recent trip on the 2nd November was absolutely flawless. It honestly couldn't have been better. We arrived just before 12 noon fully expecting our room to not yet be available, but fortunately for us a room was available immediately and the lady at the check-in desk personally showed us up to the room on the 6th floor.

The room was perfect and the bathroom was particularly indulgent, with a very large Philippe Starck designed bathtub complete with a powerful and hot rainforest style shower. The room and entire hotel was spotlessly clean, and we didn't hear any noise at all from other guests during our stay - so the room must be very well soundproofed. The view from the room window wasn't particularly inspiring, it looked out onto the inner courtyard with outdoor bar visible below but it let in a lot of natural light and had a large mirrored artwork opposite; but given that the hotel is only 6/7 stories high and surrounded by other buildings I don't imagine any room in the hotel has particularly stunning views.

I booked via a hotel comparison website and forgot to specifically request hypoallergenic bedding as my partner suffers from allergies. As we were leaving the hotel to go to the theatre we requested for the standard down-filled duvets to be replaced with hypoallergenic duvet and pillows and upon our arrival back to the hotel the lady at the reception desk recognised us and confirmed that they'd been changed. My partner noticed that the hotel also offered complimentary hair straighteners available from reception as apparently these days hair driers are no longer enough! It's little touches like this that made the service really stand out as being particularly good.

As a lover of technology this hotel was perhaps the most impressive I've ever experienced. The room comes with fast free wi-fi, a superb high-end Bang & Olufsen TV (complete with complimentary movie rental), Sky Sports and international TV channels, touchscreen bedside DAB and internet radio with iPod dock, and stylish bedside wall panels allow you to control the rooms lighting, air conditioning and even open and close the rooms black-out blind. I now wish I had some of these features at home! A panel built into the large desk easily allows you to connect and charge gadgets (USB, ethernet, HDMI, etc).

We didn't have breakfast included in our rate so I can't comment on that, although we did try the all day brunch in the '3 South Place - bar and grill' restaurant in the lobby. It came with unlimited Prosecco for an extra £10 each, which was well worth it. It was incredibly noisy in the restaurant, but I'll not downvote the hotel experience because of that.

I'm already awaiting our next trip to London just so that we can stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear amarshall1,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I was really pleased to read that you made the most of the facilities and that the in-room technology made your stay even more fun.

Whilst it is true that we are surrounded by buildings due to our location in the city, do please let our Reservations team know if you would like to stay in a particular room or part of the hotel, and they will do their very best to try to accommodate you.

We look forward to welcoming you at the hotel again soon.

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Have stayed at South Place several times this year, initially because my usual business hotel nearby was fully booked. Luckily for me, as South Place has now become my hotel of choice in the City. Yes it is a bit more expensive than I used to pay, but it is definitely worth it. And whilst it is located in the middle of the financial district, it has a different vibe than your average City hotel. Good sized rooms, wonderful bathroom and great guest facilities. Pretty much everything has been thought of - except the provision of coffee / tea in the room, which I agree with other reviewers, is something one would expect at this price (rather than pay for room service I popped across to Pret a Manger for a cup of coffee!).
On one of our visits in July, we stayed over a weekend and did encounter a couple of problems with the Terrace bar being closed for private functions (and no pre-warning) and excessively loud music until 9pm from one event on a Sunday evening, and when trying to prepare for important meetings the next morning, the 'boom,boom,boom' of the music was pretty unwelcome! However, the hotel staff responded well and genuinely wanted feedback to help them improve their customer experience.
To make up for this, on our last night, which also coincided with our wedding anniversary, the hotel management offered us dinner in Angler. We had a wonderful three courses, matched with some amazing wines and now I have become hooked - excuse the pun! Angler is now my restaurant of choice for both business dinners and special meals with friends, when in London, and I have eaten their twice just in the last few weeks. Their Michelin star is well-deserved.

So at the end of the day, what makes South Place special, is the level of service and attention to detail from each member of staff. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Myself and two friends stayed here for a Saturday night in October. The hotel is in a fabulous location very close to Liverpool St Station or Moorgate given you good options on the tube. We were fortunate enough to get an extremely good value rate (which turned out to be a mistake on the website but our bookings were still honoured). We were looked after by the wonderful Saul on arrival who could not do more for us. He really was a gentleman who aimed to please.

Our rate included a set dinner and also the breakfast bellini brunch the following day. The food was great at both and the unlimited cocktails that go with the breakfast brunch really are unlimited. The only problem was that at check out I was going to be charged for dinner - so I had to explain about the room rate again. I then had to explain about the brunch again being included again (this rate had been confirmed in E-mails from the hotel prior to our arrival and also at check in on our arrival). The reception girl was very pleasant and sorted this immediately - I then reminded her that the brunch was also included. The receptionist called over a restaurant member of staff and explained about myself (and 2 friends) having the brunch included - so she did her best to ensure that we wouldn't have to bring up this with the restaurant staff that this was included in our rate. However - when we got the bill, everything was on it. I then had to explain that we had it included and that the only extras were for two friends who had come to meet us at the hotel and I listed out exactly what they had. The bill arrived again and it was still incorrect. Finally, the third time the bill was correct but the waitress was none to pleased with the fact that she had to correct the bill two times (this was not our fault!). Whilst we were sorting out payment between the two girls who were not included, the waitress decided we were taking too long and banged down the credit card machine on the table and walked off clearly annoyed- instead of politely telling us she would be back in a moment. This experience at payment was the only disappointment with what was a fabulous brunch (we had all been discussing how we would make this brunch a regular feature of our future visits until the debacle with the bill and subsequent attitude from the waitress). We still probably will come back again as we really did enjoy the brunch, the hotel was great and all the other staff were fantastic, I just don't think this waitress was a people person!

As for the hotel rooms - they were large, everything you needed was in the rooms - the black out feature was fantastic and guaranteed a great sleep. No noise.....great bathrooms and toiletries. Also, I was up early that morning and as I sat in reception waiting for a friend to arrive, I was asked if I would like a complimentary coffee - one of the few nice little touches that the South Place Hotel offer that you don't get in chain hotels etc

I would definitely recommend this hotel - however if I could make one recommendation it would be better communication between the restaurant and reception when people have items included in their rates. It was a little bit embarrassing having it come up as an issue more than once especially when we had ensured prior to our arrival that there were definitely no issues etc - aside from that - everything was perfect and all the lovely staff to be commended, especially Saul!! (with the exception of the above mentioned waitress!!)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The title says it all, really, but if I have to elaborate: Everything about this hotel is spot on. Every little detail oozes class, from the cutlery to the hi-tech key cards. People drawing comparisons to the Hoxton Hotel should be slapped back to their senses – South Place Hotel is way ahead in every aspect. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear arneson,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Top notch for everything. Lovely, lovely staff who were obviously enjoying their work. We had an amazing room. Wonderful service. Nothing was too much trouble. Delicious, relaxing breakfast. Well done to everyone involved with South Place Hotel. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: Save up for Suite 610. Fabulous.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lollymlg,

Thank you for your kind comments, I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much, and our staff were thrilled to read you kind comments.

I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Antigua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

South Place Hotel is not like other London Hotels. It is set in the heart of the City amongst bankers and traders, but yet despite being City Slick it still keeps it’s Hoxton cool. I honestly do not know where to start to describe the best part of this hotel.

I stayed in October with my wife for a city break, when you arrive the welcome is genuinely friendly and helpful, but casually efficient. You can have fun and good banter with the staff, they are not programmed robots like most London hotels. But do not get me wrong, they are well trained, they know everything about their product but they manage to keep their own personalities and are clearly encouraged to do so.

Our room was fantastic, very modern with all the gadgets and more than what you would expect. The garden outdoor bar is a nice escape from the crowds and a cool place for a cocktail with the heaters letting you forget about the horrid cold closing in on London.
The cocktail bar downstairs is extra special, it was packed Thursday and Friday but quieter Saturday (as expected in the City). Cocktails are amazing. Angel, head barman is genius and I encourage everyone to take the time to talk to him, we tasted many great creations from him. I can truly say this is the most exciting cocktail bar I have been to in years.

Bar snacks are amazing, as is the breakfast and room-service from the downstairs kitchen. The brunch on a Saturday is a must, £20 two courses of exactly what you want to eat after a great night cocktailing and for an extra £10 bottomless mimosa’s and bloody marys (plus more). We got our monies worth.

The highlight was the chef’s table in Angler, 9 of us ate 7 courses with wine pairing. Being treated to Michelin star food with a view of the kitchen was truly fabulous. I won’t bother boring you with the details, just book it. In fact stay at the hotel and book everything, there is no need to leave, I didn’t find better restaurants, bars or staff during my month back in UK.

I apologise for making my review so long, there were certain things I couldn’t leave out! To wrap things up I will say that you cannot touch what makes South Place Hotel Special, it is not the fantastic food, service, cocktails or décor. It is the vibe that comes from the right balance of everything. I am truly impressed and so happy I stayed there. Well done SPH and thank you to ALL the staff who made our stay so special.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SGRocks,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such generous feedback. I was delighted to learn that you had such a wonderful experience during your stay - it certainly sounds like you made the most of your visit!

The entire team were so pleased to read your comments, and look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon.

Chard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon after a fairly riotous night in Bridge,Canterbury. Greeting us at the front desk was Saul looking like he'd been to a Los Beatle lookalike competition. Upon seeing
my walking aid Raul offered to show us the disabled room to get a comparison - he seemed to genuinely want to get everything right for us. The purpose of the visit was to help my son Tom move into his new flat and we'd promised to get him a new duvet and curtains, however time was running out and explained our dilemma to Raul who with his staff went into overdrive. They found out which Argos was open, then booked us a cab at a good rate. All this took a fair bit of time and I would have to say I have never had such good service at a hotel anywhere in the world. Nothing was too much trouble. Top this off with a fantastic bed, superb bathroom, and an excellent breakfast and you truly have a five star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter F,

Thank you so much for leaving such lovely feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. We are so proud of the great service we provide here and the whole team were thrilled to read your kind comments.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Bruce

Been to South Place Hotel? Share your experiences!