“A wonderful week end” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Montpellier, France
“A wonderful week end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed 3 days at the South Place Hotel : it was great ! atmosphere, decor, staff were top rate. The rooms are tastefully decorated, clean, comfortable and cosy. The bathrooms are stunning ! with grey marble. The mini bar was maxi !
We didn't eat at the restaurant so can't comment on the food.
We would like to say a very special thank you to Saul who made us feel instantly at home, with a great sense of humor and whose priority it was to meet all our needs.
We highly recommend this hotel;
The Spanish guy who can't speak Spanish ...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Olivier R,

Thank you so much for your feedback, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much. Your kind comments were greatly appreciated by Saul and the entire team.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon - perhaps on your next visit you can try the restaurants.

Bruce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We celebrated our first wedding anniversary with a delicious brunch at South Place Hotel and were very impressed with the venue itself, the delicious food and the fantastic offer they have on the weekends - unlimited prosecco, bloody mary's or bellini's for £10 with your meal! My husband now thinks we should go there every weekend! Excellent place for an intimate meal like ours or something fun with a group. We are looking forward to our next visit.

Dear sucre1112,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback, it was great to read your lovely comments. I was so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your brunch so much - the Bloody Mary is a personal favourite.

I look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and stayed here for five nights. Staff were extremely attentive and helpful. In our first room, the TV wasn't working properly. They quickly moved us to a different room.

We stayed in a South Place King, which was surprisingly large. The decor is modern but comfortable. There are many thoughtful touches in these rooms, including a screen in front of the windows which completely darkens the room at night making it easier to sleep. You can turn the lights on and off from touch pads almost anywhere in the room, which was nice, too.

The bathtub is huge and a soakers dream.

There wasn't any in-room coffee, which was a bit of a drag one morning when we needed to get a really early start. (You can order breakfast brought to your room, but we'd forgotten to do that.) And we had to request an ironing board and iron, but they came very quickly.

The hotel restaurant is good, if a bit pricey. The bar scene was really hopping at night.

The neighborhood around the hotel is not a tourist area, but that didn't bother us at all. The closest tube stations are Liverpool, which connects to several different lines, and Moorgate. St. Paul's cathedral is a 15-minute walk away.

All-in-all, it was a very pleasant stay. We'd definitely do it again.

Room Tip: The hotel bar can get quite noisy on a Saturday night. If staying over a weekend, try to get a room...
Dear kathleen c,

Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time. I was delighted to learn that you had such a great stay at the hotel, and that the small issues you encountered were dealt with quickly.

We have had a lot of similar feedback regarding the tea and coffee making facilities, and we are in the process of putting these into all of our rooms.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel over the weekend as a birthday gift from him. On arriving the hotel, we were both very impressed by the reception and how amazing the hotel itself was.

The first problem was when we were checking in, and we were told we 'had' to pay a deposit of £100 for a mini bar and room service we had no intention of using. Nowhere does it state that we have to pay such a deposit, which is why it came as such a shock. Especially to an eighteen and nineteen year old. The next problem occurred when my boyfriend announced he could not pay the deposit because he didn't have that amount in his bank account (which is usual for an eighteen year old!), yet the receptionist still looked shocked by this. So I was made to pay a £100 deposit.

And on to the next problem. The money was quickly taken out of my account, and on check out I asked how long it would be for the money to be refunded to which I was told it would go in straight away as it was done on direct debit. I checked my balance, and still no money had gone in. Accepting that it was a Sunday and banks are shut, I left it hoping it would be put back into my account. Three days later and I am still waiting for the £100 to be put back in. I know £100 isn't a lot of money for most people staying at this hotel but for a nineteen year old, that is a lot of money and there are things I need it for.

Apart from that, the hotel itself was amazing, the room was huge and the bathroom was exceptional. But since our arrival, my boyfriend and I were made to feel unwelcome by the staff and the guests. We were constantly stared at and given funny looks, probably because we are not posh enough for such a hotel. And we weren't given a full tour of the hotel unlike many other guests.

Like I said, the hotel itself was amazing, but in all honestly, the staff should be taught to teach ALL of their guests properly and not to make them feel inferior and unwelcome because it did actually ruin the hotel for me.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my partner towards the end of summer as a treat, after reading so many great reviews on Tripadvisor and deciding that it must be very special. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed, especially for £350 per night.

I'll start with the positives - the staff. They were all very friendly, courteous, and polite. They're well trained, well presented, and clearly wanted to portray an approachable-yet-professional attitude, which they all did. If something was to let this hotel down, it probably wouldn't be the staff.

What did let it down, for us, was the facilities.

The room (advertised as a "suite") was very small - definitely not what comes to mind when one images a "suite" - it was the size of a standard double room in a Travelodge or Premier Inn. The carpet looked a little bit dirty and had a few water marks (or something) so I wasn't too comfortable walking on it barefoot. The furnishings and overall decor, although nice looking, were not amazing and I can't say we were stunned or in awe at the beauty of the room, which is a shame, because the pictures make it look romantic and extremely modern. One good point was the bathroom, which lovely, and had a constant supply of high-pressure hot water, although - bizarrely - the toilet was very high off the ground!

The technology built in to the room was largely unnecessary and really didn't add anything at all - in fact, we had lots of problems with the touch controls - they just simply don't work very well! It was a nightmare trying to control the lights' brightness, pulling the blinds down or up, and working the television. The TV also didn't work with any external devices although it was supposed to. To their credit again, the staff did try to help with the blinds and TV problems but the hassle wasn't at all conducive to a relaxing stay.

Another let-down of this hotel was its food.

We decided to order room service for a light dessert. Unfortunately the desserts were just "assembled" from pre-chilled ingredients and no actual cooking or true preparation had gone on. The front desk also appeared to have a slightly different menu than we had in the room, leading to some confusion on the phone over what I was trying to order.

Breakfast was also disappointing. The pastries were small and not at all remarkable... I could be very wrong, but they were very small, didn't seem freshly made and were certainly not warm. The bowl of yoghurt was large but very tasteless, even with its fruit compote on top. My partner, who had a cooked breakfast, was also unimpressed. A mandatory service charge for the breakfast was discreetly placed on the bill which I thought was pretty presumptuous.

One thing I was seriously unhappy about was an unannounced fire alarm test. We were jarred awake by a massively loud siren above the bed which caused a moment of panicked confusion as it had never been mentioned that a test would be taking place - absolutely not a nice way to wake up!

Overall I'm sad to say that I wouldn't return to the hotel. The little things let it down - not the staff, but everything else. It seems to me that it's advertised as a stylish and unique hotel, but to us, without any kind of prejudice, it was ordinary. Especially for the price paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here about a month ago and couldn't have asked for a better one night stay. Every little thing is thought of. The bathroom was fantastic and the extra large bath was perfect after a night at the theatre. As was a pair of slippers placed near the bed ready for our return. Just a couple of mins walk from Liverpool St Station. Perfectly placed.

Overall I would definitely recommend

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear dalehigham,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, it was great to read your kind comments, and we really appreciate you taking the time to write them.

I hope we can welcome you to hotel again soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Was here for a business event - didn't stay over, but the meeting rooms were interesting and well appointed. The meal was silver served in the meeting room - choice from a menu, of which I had scallops with belly pork, halibut and treacle tart (luckily, served as three separate courses). Excellent quality; superbly tasty. If this is representative of the restaurants, I happily recommend the place.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Clivel_98,

Thank you for leaving your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your meeting and the food.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon, whether that is for an overnight stay, or to visit one of our restaurants.

Bruce

Been to South Place Hotel? Share your experiences!