“A warm and stylish haven in busy London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of South Place Hotel

You added South Place Hotel to your Saves list
South Place Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 South Place, London EC2M 2AF, England (City of London)   |
Ranked #17 of 1,064 Hotels in London
“A warm and stylish haven in busy London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What an excellent Hotel: Been there for three nights and didn't regret it. Very comfortable and stylish rooms. Excellent tech equipment, decent internet speed, beautiful bathroom, comfy bed. The Gym is also very well equipped, Sauna beautiful and clean (tho I didn't like the gender segregation). The Bar is stylish, service fast and efficient. Friendly and competent staff all along. Great location with very short walking distance to Moorgate and Liverpool street stations.

Little minus for the expensive (yet wonderfully stocked) minibar and the touch-pannels which weren't always responsive enough (though I like the idea very much).

I have tried a few hotels of the same price range and I must say that I like the south place best, since it is the only one that really offers the perfect synergy of location, design, cleanliness and service.

In short, a great hotel offering you a warm and stylish haven in busy London. I would and will definitely go back next time I'm in London, be it business or pleasure. Keep up the good service!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sarah B, Director of Sales at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
It's really nice to hear you had such a wonderful stay at South Place. Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to enjoy your company again very soon.

Many thanks for giving us a try!

Best regards,

Sarah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was close to my London office where I was going for business meetings. It is also very close to both Liverpool Street and Moorgate tube stations and close to a large marks and spencers and other shops.

Upon arrival (approx 8am) there was no room ready for me to check in yet (given that check in time is at 2). However, the staff were great it getting me to their spa facilities asap so that I could at least take a shower after my long haul flight and get ready for my meetings. Then as soon as a room was ready, they swiftly cleaned and gave me the room (around 9am).

The decor of the hotel is very sleek and stylish, the rooms have high functionality and the beds are incredible comfortable. Given that the hotel is in the city of London, I was pleasantly surprised that it has a lot of character rather than just operating as a functional hotel for business travellers. The service was impeccable and I noticed that in the evening, the bar/restaurant area had a great buzz. I think the only thing I could ask for is if the room service portions could be larger for the price they charged (but then again, I do have a big appetite!).

Overall, I would visit this hotel again if I had a business trip to London as, whilst it provides all the business amenities (e.g. wifi, work space etc), it certainly has a more fun/funky feel to it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you Jaimie for your positive feedback. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and would be fond of returning with us if you return to London. I will be sure to relay the comments of our room service portions to the head chef and Front Desk team.

Best Regards,

Leuven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

A few months ago London was calling! It was time to put our frequent traveling to NYC on hold and explore some other metropolises. London it was. So first thing to do: pick a hotel. Not easy because I am a pretty demanding traveller. To me a hotel has got to have a distinctive personality and above all, the service is crucial to me. After elaborate research we chose South Place hotel, located in-between the East-end and the city.

First impression: Impressive! When you walk into the hotel a friendly attentive doorman greats you with a genuine smile. He opens the massive glass doors for you and the first thing that hits you is the unique hotel scent. That is something that definitely makes me smile. Check-in went smooth and easy, it was 11am and our room was ready. Big score, South Place hotel! Okay now the room, was it as remarkable as the overall design of the hotel? Well, yes and no. The marble bathroom is drop dead gorgeous. I am talking about a rain shower, huge bathtub, a double sink, enough storage space, attractive amenities. Do I need to go on? The design of the bedroom is clean and modern, but cosy and soothing at the same time. Although I loved the whimsical facilities and details (B&O tv, local art, stationery, sofa...), I missed an explicate and unique personality! Something that made the room even more exceptional, like the rest of the venue.

But wait, South Place hotel has so much more, it is a complete package. I fell in love with the bar and the restaurant on the ground floor. Perfect hide away to dine and unwind. And they have a secret hideaway too, Le Chiffre which is only accessible to hotel guests and locals. But this space completely misses its purpose, it's not a cozy retreat where guests want to be. Nope, it is pretty deserted and the vibe, well actually there is no vibe at all! Maybe it is its location on the first floor, too far away from the lively atmosphere of the bar.

My overall experience was a wow experience! South Place hotel is a remarkable hotel that understands the importance of details: the uniforms of the hotel staff, a doorman that picks up the cigarettes from the pavement, the scent, the lighting, the art, the food, ...! Yes, we found our London home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Delighted to hear you had such a positive stay with us. We are pleased to know you found the room a delight and made good use of our social atmosphere on the ground floor for dining and drinks.

As for Le Chiffre - your comments are spot on. In February we are introducing a 'Members Club' that will bring more life to this room and the Garden Bar, putting guests in contact with a smattering of locals that are well-connected creatives, entrepreneurs, and local business people.

We are thrilled you chose South Place Hotel for your stay in London and look forward to welcoming you back to see if you feel things are even better than the first time.

Best regards,

London, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at this fabulously stylish hotel this weekend, and wanted to take the time to tell the world just how good it is.
Reception staff were incredibly polite and welcoming and our check in was swift...we were shown to our room where I let out a small scream of delight when I saw it.
Enormous king size bed, with incredible flat screen tv and radio available. Good decor and lighting was impressive.
Bathroom was huge and slick. double sinks and showers! Amazing toiletries in abundance too.

Just gorgeous interior...
House keeping were very attentive and professional. It was just a dream.

I ate in the restaurant and had 3 course lunch with glass of wine for £15. A real bargain and good quality.

Gym, steam and sauna on site. There isnt a pool, but the reception staff said we could use a pool from an adjacent fitness centre.

The attention to detail was impressive, and was just a great stay in the heart of london.
some 3 mins walk from Liverpool street and the tube, ideally situated and just a pleasant and refreshing stay,

well done to all the team for assisting us with a glorious weekend.

will definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive feedback on South Place. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your giant bed, tasty food, and had a relaxing stay. We hope to see you back in the heart of London with us soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here as a surprise treat for my boyfriend at the end of November. I managed to get a good deal on the hotel and was very pleased with the size of room and bed. Very comfortable bed and extremely soft and lovely pillows. Bathroom was also enormous. Huge bathtub and a twin shower.
Absolutely love the furniture in the hotel and all the quirky design details. Can totally recommend the games room area (which seems to have a James Bond theme).
Restaurant served good food too. Had a lovely steak.
Location is not as central as some, but as we know and live in London anyway, it was just nice to experience a London stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah B, Director of Sales at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your stay at South Place, we’re so pleased that you chose us for your London ‘Staycation’ and that you enjoyed the food, the beds and the design details.

We have introduced an Offers page on our website that highlights our best deals, it would be our pleasure to welcome you both back again very soon.
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

A great two week stay just before Christmas. The common areas were comfortable, eclectic and fresh with an obvious attention to detail. Execution was surprisingly clean and seamless.My room decor was also a well conceived blend of traditional and modern with subtle, quality touches. The bed and high thread-count linens were some of the most comfortable I have experienced at a hotel. Housekeeping and the turn-down service were top notch.Internet access was solid. While the hotel is new and innovative and the room comfortable what really sets South Place Hotel apart were the staff, the bars and the restaurants. To a person, the staff were very attentive, friendly and helpful. I had absolutely no issues at all. All three bars were very popular and I found them a great place to meet people (I had a great time!). The bars were often very busy due to the regular after work crowd combined with the pre- and post-Christmas party goers. Despite the heavy volume, the bar staff provided prompt, courteous and accurate service. When not busy, I found the bar staff to be very pleasant and friendly. These are cocktail bars with beer available by bottle only. That said, the bartenders were very good mixologists and knowledgeable about their craft and ingredients. In the hotel I ate at the '3 South Place' restaurant. To find a restaurant this good in a boutique hotel was an added bonus. The food quality exceeded expectations and presentation was nice without being pretentious. The Angler restaurant was busy with parties on the nights I tried to eat there - maybe next time. There are also a number of good restaurants and bars in the area if you want to get out. The exercise facilities are basic but nice and the equipment is of good quality.

Two weeks in any hotel is a challenge but the staff made me feel like a welcome guest from check-in through check-out. I would definitely recommend a stay at the South Place Hotel or even just a visit to the bars and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Paul,

We are really glad you enjoyed your stay at South Place Hotel, particularly as you were with us for a longer duration and in one of our busiest times. It's especially useful feedback that you spent time in our bars and restaurants and were given good service and a taste of London's energy.

Our staff enjoyed your company and we hope to welcome back to stay with us the next time you’re in London.

Best wishes,

Sarah Buchanan
munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

A terrific 3 night stay over New Year..
Great food, service and extremely helpful plus excellent customer awareness!!
Looking forward to our return !
New years eve dinner was also exceptional!.
Top quality bathroom

• Stayed December 2012
Sarah B, Director of Sales at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for spending your New Year with us, we're glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal and your stay! We have plans for quite a few special weekends in 2013 and hope that you'll return to South Place for some more lovely escapes.

Been to South Place Hotel? Share your experiences!