“Great Night Out” 4 of 5 stars

+44 (0)203 640 7330
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushisamba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,114 of 16,890 restaurants in London
Cuisines: Sushi, Brazilian, Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Great Night Out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

On the 34th floor of the Heron in the heart of the City off London, SushiSamba offers a wonderful atmosphere. The decor is very contemporary and really well done.
The bars has great cocktails: tasty and beautiful.
The crowd averages from mid-30s to late-40s, which made us feel right at home.
The food is fabulous. Just as the name suggests; japanese/south-american fusion. The sushi is delicious, however that should not be the reason for going there as the other dishes are truly spectacular. The chilean sea-bass is most definitely a must.
Service is good. Our waiter was helpful, pleasant and full of suggestions. However, it was very busy and they did forget to bring one dish and we had to order a bottle of water a couple times before it finally made its way to our table.
Great selection of Saki including a delicious sparkling version.
The only downside (hence 4 stars as opposed to 5) is the music at the dining area which is definitely way too loud for conversation.
Reservations are required and they offer some very strange hours such as 4pm or 2am. We had to wait almost months for a 10:30pm slot. That puts me off in terms of going back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

74% Recommend
“Terrible bar staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Unattentive, unforgivably slow service.
Yes the setting is nice, more so when the balcony is open. However if you leave your customers hanging at the bar for over 30mins without even an acknowledgement then it doesn't matter how nice the view is, you'll be so bored and frustrated that you'll move on.
I have been twice and whilst the first time I put down to a busyish Friday night, I went recently on a Saturday afternoon and found the service was even slower despite 3 men behind the bar and a queue not even one deep. The problem?One painfully slow drink made at a time. Lack of queue management, e.g. the poor guy next to me was already waiting when I turned up and all he wanted was 4 bottles of beer!; failure to know which section of the bar they were serving, failure to work down the line. No surprise that I left embarrassed at having suggested the venue.

Visited October 2013
“Simply stunning from start to finish.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

A first time visit and an amazing place to boot.The service was superb,the food was excellent and the setting was beyond our expectations.We were totally blown away by the entire experience and cannot wait to visit again.Still can't quite wipe the smiles off our faces!!Many,many thanks.

London
“Go for the view but the food is seriously overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Its like being the child with Willy Wonka zooming toward the glass ceiling as your stomach drops to the ground and the City of London is laid out before you and glass lift hurtles towards the 38th floor. The restaurant itself is also impressive a glass atrium with views for miles on two sides (not all sides though), but it will depend greatly on where you sit as to whether the impressive view will be your meal companion. We were luckily to be seated by the window with a breathtaking view of London.

I really wanted to give this restaurant a better rating and the reason I haven't is purely because our charming waiter explained the concept of small plates based on sharing and suggested we had at least one from each section. Needless to say neither the concept was foreign, or was my surprise that a plate from each section was unnecessary when we only ordered four dishes and it was plently of food for two. We were told that they brought everything when it was cooked. However, we were also told that dishes followed through the sections and I thought they would follow in stages.

We had been sitting for not quite 15 minutes since entering the building enjoying some edamame beans, which were supposed to be the prelude to a great meal when everything arrived together. This meant by the time we reached the half lobster, whilst was delicious it was a tad cold and it was all a bit overwhelming. I slightly feared the whole experience would be done in half an hour.

The staff are attentive, but almost to the point of annoying with the constant water topping up and desperation to whisk dishes away before they were finished. There is a definite desire to up-sell, although it is done politely.

As we were paying a table behind us had just sat down and these two gentlemen were told exactly the opposite and asked how and when they would like their courses. Was this because they ordered the wagyu at about £50? Same waiter different story. As my guest for lunch had loved it and I genuinely enjoyed the food and the view despite everything arriving together, I did not see any reason for a fuss, but they need to sort this out.

The food itself was good. The sashimi combination was full of interesting flavours, but £21 for three of thinnest slices of fish I have ever seen is a bit of joke even by London standards. The tuna was in a great sauce, but I actually struggled to identify it as tuna and having eaten some truly delicious tuna in California recently this was a real let down. I would suggest you go for the grilled or other items which were decent sized portions for sharing plates and the tempura prawns were excellent.

Would I go again? Despite the moan, this restaurant has an amazing view and decent food for which you are being overcharged for the view. There are loads of places like this around the world and its not to say that you will not enjoy it, but its worth remembering to ask that they bring your dishes in stages so that you can enjoy the view that little bit longer.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Love the orange light tree on the terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great place to have a few drinks, stunning views of London from the bar on the 39th floor! great cocktails too and not terribly pricey! Go early as the queues get pretty bad in the evening by all accounts.

• Visited September 2013