“Good beer, good food, good friends...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9,299 of 18,003 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Continental
Houston, Texas, United States
“Good beer, good food, good friends...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

While visiting Surbiton for the week a few co-workers and I spent a lot longer at the Flyer than we expected. 1 pint turned into 7. 1 vodka soda became 4. Oh my. 11:00 PM rolled around before we knew it!

For an American who doesn't frequent fish and chips, I was blown away by the food taste here. Perhaps it was the amount of beer I had already consumed. Perhaps it was because I was really that hungry. Perhaps it was because the fish and chips really were that good! I'm going with the latter, because my coworker enjoyed his just as much.

The tap of Fuller's was really good. I've had Fuller's before in bottle in the US and never really was a big fan. What a huge difference having it on tap makes. After 7 pints of beer and fish and chips, I simply couldn't stomach any more beer and switch up to vodka soda with lime. I found it interesting (and some what annoying) that my request said "vodka soda, with lime", but my drink was served with vodka, soda, a slice of lime, and lime juice. The lime juice addition was a bit of a mystery to me. The bars in my home town won't add lime juice unless you specifically ask. Maybe it's just the way the drink is made in this region. At any rate, the bartender happily took the lime juice out of the next drink.

The Flyer had great atmosphere and my only complaint is that we were kicked out at 11:00 PM, when we weren't ready to leave!!

Thanks for hosting the American, guys! Good job!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“£3.90 a pint of London Pride!?! You are taking the ****”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

A sad demise of this pub as I cannot recommend this place to anyone any more and after last night's brief visit I do not think I will be back as there are better value for money places to both eat and drink.

Shame as it has always been expensive but now The Surbiton Flyer is not worth stopping at for a pint. The simple truth of it is the quality is no longer worth the cost.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Surbiton, United Kingdom
“Good little place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Good food, atmosphere and friendly staff for our Sunday dinner out. Beef was high quality & melted in mouth. Service was better than average with only a slight delay on the food because of the kitchen

London, United Kingdom
“There are many far better pubs in Surbiton”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Been here a few times. Really pricey. Drinks are expensive and food was horrible, so very poor value for money all round. I had a burger that claimed to be extra lean but tasted like cheap reconstituted 'meat'.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Surbiton, United Kingdom
“What an improvement, good beer and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Several years ago, the Flyer was known as a bit of a rough pub. Following a change in ownership, it is now a great place for good beers, mainly Fullers, not forgetting the great food at sensible prices. my favourite is the BBQ rack of ribs, fingerlicking good!!!

• Visited December 2013