“Bloomsbury Palace Hotel London” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bloomsbury Palace Hotel

You added Bloomsbury Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Bloomsbury Palace Hotel
29 - 31 Gower Street | Bloomsbury, London WC1E 6HG, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #349 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Bloomsbury Palace Hotel London”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Tiny, cramped room. Water from the tap was very suspect- I was too scared to make tea or coffee. Great location though. Staff were pretty average. Breakfast doesn’t start until 7.30am which was too late for me because I had to leave for a flight at 6.30am.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Braintree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last weekend (9th and 10th August) we were bought a weekend in London as wedding present.
After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, I was expecting an absolute shambles. But, we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel and it was much better than we were expecting, based on the reviews we'd read.
We arrived at around 8pm on Friday, the gentleman on reception was very helpful and gave us information on breakfast times, wi-Fi codes etc (free wi-Fi is great, especially if you don't know where you're going in London!)
The room was a strange shape, but perfectly big enough for what we needed. We had a quick shower and got changed (shower was hot and powerful - better than mine at home!) and shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, as well as towels were provided.
We asked if there were any nice restaurants close by, the receptionist gave us clear directions to Covent Garden and was happy to help with any questions we had. Covent Garden is a 10 minute walk.
Our room was on a main road so we had some noise from the traffic which can't be helped. But there was a fan supplied which was great as it allowed us to keep the window closed overnight, whilst keeping cool.
Breakfast was ok, a selection of cereals and fruit, with an English breakfast choice too. 1 sausage, 1 bacon, beans, mushrooms, tomato and a choice of scrambled or fried eggs. Tea, coffee and fruit juices too. The breakfast staff were rushed off their feet, always busy and doing something so on one occasion, we gave her a hand by helping to clear our table. She was working really hard.

Best thing about this hotel is the location, 10 mins from Covent garden, 5 mins from British museum, 10 mins from Tottenham Court Road. Perfect location for Central London. Would definitely use this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2013
GlosUK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

A clean and decent central London hotel in the summer for under £100 - yes, it can be found. OK, my room (like single rooms everywhere) was small, but well-fitted - rather like a cabin on a boat. For one or two nights it was fine - with a very smart bathroom, comfy bed, good TV and coffee and tea-making facilities - which didn't skimp on the supplies. And a safe, which I didn't find till morning!
The breakfast room is small and I can imagine it could get very crowded - certainly it would help if breakfast times were extended to 9.30 - one hell of a rush at 8.55 I noticed. The two waitresses were a bit rushed off their feet serving and getting extra crockeryy,etc. It would also help if the chairs would fit under the tables, but the legs are just that bit too wide, so everyone sits well away from the table, making it awkward to move around. Food was OK - but then I'm not one for a cooked breakfast and my scrambled egg was fine. The servings were more than enough.
Summer in the city is always hot and noisy, and although there was a welcome fan in my room I made the mistake of not fully closing the window. So not the best night's sleep, but then I'm used to living where the noisiest sound is the sheep bleating in the field next door.
But on the upside it meant I could walk to the British Museum, theatres, restaurants, etc and walk back again at night-time with no hassle. For the price (£75 b&b for a single) it beats a lot of the chain hotels (where I've queued for breakfast) even if the rooms are small.

Room Tip: Ones at the front are bound to be noisier.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Wirral
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very disappointing stay at the Bloomsbury. The room, in the basement, was very cramped and far too hot. We didn't mind so much as we only went back to sleep but the next morning was a joke.
The breakfast room is tiny and, like the other reviewers, we queued up for breakfast. he waitress did suggest we split up along the breakfast bar but we told her we'd prefer to enjoy our breakfast together. Eventually we got a table and just as we were sitting down we were asked if we wanted a cooked breakfast and if so what type of egg. After telling the waitress what we wanted we got up to get cereal and fruit and no longer had we sat down and the breakfasts arrived so we had to try and fit them on the side of the table until we'd finished! I also asked for HP sauce but was advised that they no longer provide it. Well as it's an ENGLISH breakfast I cannot understand why they don't provide it. Also my Husband ordered coffee and they must have just added water to a used coffee pot as it was disgusting and undrinkable. When I complained to the guy on reception he just shrugged his shoulders but I think this may have been because he didn't really understand me as he spoke broken English....never again!!

Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Quite an expensive hotel so very disappointed by the cramped little room (tv broken, blind broken, dusty). The breakfast was a long wait and they had run out of most items and had no clean glasses, bowls etc so had a mug with my fruit in. Appalling! Not satisfied with the response when we complained either.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Recently my Daughter and I spent two nights at a supposedly four star hotel. What a joke, the single rooms we had booked were more like a cupboard. There was nowhere to hang clothes and no drawers either. The dining room was far to small for the number of people staying there. We had to queue on the stairs and wait to get into the dining room. On the Sunday morning after waiting on the stairs for approx. ten minutes we waited another ten waiting to be served and were told there was nothing left apart from a fried egg. Considering we had paid for a full English needless to say we were more than a little annoyed. Unfortunately you pay on arrival and not when you leave.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Booked a weekend break at the bloomsbury hotel gower st London we thought things were odd when we were asked to settle the bill before we booked in, we were then given a swipe card and told the room is in the basement, we found the room which Was a bit cramped, and w decided to unpack our suitcase only to find that there was nowhere to put our clothes, no wardrobe, no cupboards nothing except two hangers with nowhere to hang them, we then noticed that the bed was only just. Double bed with not a lot of room in it, however we were tired and decided to grin and bare it, the next nightmare was when we went down for breakfast, we ended up in a queue halfway up a set of stairs because the restaurant was full, the next morning was the same but worse, no cups, glasses, they even ran out of food, no bacon, no sausages, we had to have a bit of scrambled egg and a tomato, this has got to be the wort hotel in London never again I'm sorry bloomsbury hotel you need to get your act together it was a shambles.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bloomsbury Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!