“Not as exceptional as some say” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,906 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Indian Lounge is a brand new Indian restaurant situated in the heart of Kings Cross in Central London. Our Indian restaurant is a mixture of modern and traditional. It perfectly combines modern decor and atmosphere with traditional Indian cuisine cooked with authentic Asian spices. Not only do we offer a very comprehensive menu, should you require a dish specially cooked to order, or have any special dietary requirements we would be happy to accommodate your request. Here at Indian Lounge, we have many seats spread over 3 different lounges: The Main Lounge, the Waterfall Lounge and the Jungle Lounge.
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Not as exceptional as some say”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Looking for a good restaurant near St Pancras for a late Saturday lunch, this looked ideal - the highest recommended in the area, and very close. I booked via TopTable, mentioning that one of the party was veggie, and on turning up mentioned the booking, but was blanked (it didn't matter, the place was empty anyway). I was rather surprised to see what looked like a rather ordinary curry shop, as we were expecting a business guest and had tried to choose somewhere a bit special. Well, the 'exceptional' ratings others had given would have been for the food & service, of course.

Hmm. My veggie curry was quite nice (hotter than the default near us - which I welcomed), although the second veggie samosa tasted very suspicious (and quite unlike the first) so I passed it to my carnivore wife. Her hunk of lamb looked huge, but thankfully it was not all meat (the bone/fat adds to the flavour I guess) and apparently tasted "OK" -- although a little tougher than she expected.

As they had no ale, I went for a half pint of cider... which turned out to be a bottle of pear cider. Ah well. Our guest just had tea (he asked for 'chai' and got a teabag in a cup). Towards the end of our meal the restaurant was getting busier, yet they switched on some Indian TV channel which was rather distracting.

Overall, it was simply OK. The food was OK, the service was OK, the bill was fine, none were particularly good or bad. If I were in the area I might go again. But I certainly won't choose it as a venue for a business lunch or an occasion when we're looking for something special.

Oh... the TopTable reservation was cancelled by them by text about an hour after we'd left. Bizarre.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa, Canada
“Food at the Indian Lounge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was in London on business for 10 days and the Indian Lounge was near my hotel at Kings Cross/St.Pancras Station. My first meal was excellent and I had five more meals and the
quality of the food and service was consistent. I lived in India for many years and have eaten
in many top restaurants. I would rate this one of the best five...for quality service and price.
The naan was best ever!
Canadian in London

Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasing meal on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was staying in London and thought I would try this place out.

I ordered from their £7.95 menu, and was not disappointed.

The food was served hot, and service time, while not quick, was not too slow either!

My only gripe was that there was a person at the door - and it did feel he was a bouncer.!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Fife
“Perfect end to our holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Went to this Indian the day before going back to Scotland. It is a small restaurants nd it is busy all the time in the evening. When food arrived it was definitely worth waiting 45 for. I had chicken tikka masala and it was very good. My husband had the rogan josh dish but thought It would have tasted hotter. It only depends on what you have been used to getting at home. I would definitely return if I was ever in the area again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent and right next to KX !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Kings Cross travelodge rather a W1 hotel due to chaos around Maggies funeral.

Walking around and stumbled on this place by accident.

What a find !

Food is really first class and the service matches. Its a modern and inviting restaurant with a manager who makes everyone feel welcomed and special.

I had a mixed kabab followed by one of the chefs special bhuna curry dishes, washed down with the mandatory Cobra beers (x2). £24 in London is good value, esp. For food of this quality.

The manager insisted I joined him for a wash down night cap on the house when paying.... great touch and it means I will certainly return when in the area again.