“Weekend at citizen m” 4 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM London Bankside

You added citizenM London Bankside to your Saves list
citizenM London Bankside
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Lavington Street, London SE1 0NZ, England (Southwark)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #48 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Weekend at citizen m”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I am just back from my boyfriends birthday weekend away, had a fantastic time at the Citizen M, location is great (2 minute walk from southwark tube). Rooms were compact but contemporary & lovely perfect for couples. Only little downfall was when we wanted some food (hot meals) they only had salad and sushi, that wasn't to our taste. Apart from that we had a fabulous stay & recommend this hotel to all.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

When you describe a hotel, you usually haul out the same handful of adjectives: comfortable, clean, cozy, etc. Sure, you could use them in describing the CitizenM in London, but you'd fall short because this hotel offers a truly unique experience.

We stayed in room 244 for several nights beginning April 27, 2014. First things first: the room was small, but it's so well designed that the size doesn't matter: a large window overlooking the courtyard, a tablet that lets you control everything in the room (large-screen TV, radio, mood lighting, alarm clock, etc.), plenty of room to store your stuff. The room and the entire hotel is done with a sense of humor and whimsy. Example: the alarm clock features a handful of settings, including "Wild Life" which awakens you to the gentle chirping of birds then (to make sure you get up) escalates to a noisy herd of animals including trumpeting elephants.

But wait, there's more. The large lobby features a nice selection of snacks and a full bar. (Thanks, Alex, for the terrific Negronis and introducing me to the Boulevardier.) It's also a perfect place for hanging out and checking out your itinerary; they've got four iMacs at your disposal.

The staff!!!! Could they be friendlier or more helpful? I think not.

This hotel is part of a new chain that's rapidly expanding. Their success is understandable: they present a delightful concept and deliver first-rate customer service. Oh, and the price is right.

Can you tell I liked this place?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

First class fantastic great lobby I wouldn't be surprised this year would be the place to hang out...great staff great books decor and atmosphere well done!! Efficient clean modern 21st century!! I'm pretty sure others are going to start to copy this for sure.

• Stayed May 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We used this hotel 3 nights as part of our 6 week honeymoon. Not Really Romantic but as part of our sightseeing part of our holiday location being London this ticked all the boxes. This hotel room is don't get me wrong space is utilised to the max! however after a long day of sightseeing it was perfect bed was comfy big comfy soft towels great shower cheap compared to some other options the only negative was the samsung tablet was slow ( however you did get free movies ) i found it strange all apple devices downstairs and samsung in the room? the wifi is very good i would recommend this hotel based on somewhere to sleep and have comfortable necessary things not luxury but i couldn't really complain

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

If you are working in London and need a stop over this place is absolutely smashing. The ambience of the hotel is awesome, relaxed, creative and uplifting. The service is excellent and everything is either self service or remote control. Downstairs is beautifully laid out with cool decor which suits both work and leisure users. There are nice little touches everywhere you go, positive and fun slogans on hairdryers, soap, shampoos, pencils etc..... The rooms are small but perfectly formed, almost as if you were in an IKEA showroom bedroom. Your room comes equipped with a Samsung tablet from which you control everything in the room so don't stay here is you are a technophobe or you just don't like modern technology. It controls the mood lighting (i LOVE that) The bed is enormous and extremely comfortable in fact I had such an awesome nights sleep (maybe it was the lighting) ;) If you're in London for two or three days stay here definitely, any longer in town though and i may opt for a hotel with a larger room. Good work CitizenM. Big fat tick from me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

The hotel is look really modern and staff is really friendly. But the price could be match lower, anyway was staying for free days leave good memories. Am 24 years old the expression of future rooms was just maybe first 1 hour after was taken as a normal. But that's only opinion because i like more classic style but is good to try something new swell.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I wanted to love this hotel , I had it recommended to me and the reviews left me in no doubt it would be great. I left the review till I had finished my travels so I could compare it to other UK hotels.
For our holiday it just didn't work. We stayed too long - I think one or two nights would be good, but we did five.

Firstly, we slept well, huge bed, sound proofing, block out blind and great temperature control in the room. A great downstairs area and a shower head that made showering just lovely. All fantastic.

I enjoyed the area, the Borough Market, the Globe, the eateries, the relaxed atmosphere of the area were all great.

One reviewer said the hotel made them feel old and that's what I felt (as well as really frustrated at times). I just wanted things to work, but our room had several technical problems, mostly all dealt with by the friendly staff. But we were the customers that everything went wrong for - in the end we stopped mentioning the issues with our room or the downstairs computers, we just put up with things because they were so constant we got embarrassed . Don't get me wrong the staff did what they could and we got several items complimentary and that was nice I just wish it been a smooth stay. I would have traded the mood lighting, the tablet, the funky room , the TV just for a TV remote, phone, hot water system that worked. And to compounded it all our laundry was misplaced for three days - awkward when you are travelling light.

If I was a solo traveller for one or two nights it would be a fun comfortable place- I think, but for us, on that stay, particularly after staying at another London hotel which whilst more traditional , provided us with a large, comfortable room with everything working , I don't know if I would use again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to citizenM London Bankside? Share your experiences!