“Told by rude, shabby looking staff "have two singles or be moved"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Park Grand London Hyde Park

You added Park Grand London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Park Grand London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   78-82 Westbourne Terrace | Paddington, London W2 6QA, England (Paddington / Maida Vale)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STAY 3 NIGHTS GET 12% OFF
Ranked #344 of 1,055 Hotels in London
“Told by rude, shabby looking staff "have two singles or be moved"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I decided to book a trip to London as a post Christmas getaway for myself and my Mother.
I found this hotel online as part of a special deal.

I arrived with my Mother, after half a day of sightseeing in London. We were looking forward to a rest and cup of tea. When we got to the desk we were faced with two unprofessional staff members. One was looking very shabby like he could barely dress himself and the other looked reasonable. They were both very unclear in what they were saying to us but eventually managed to state that the room we had booked had maintenance issues. I asked why they hadn't called and they said that they hadn't had the time. Next thing we knew we were faced with choosing two singles or going to another hotel in the Shaftesbury "Elite" Collection.

We chose to swap because we wanted a twin room.
I asked that the room be to the same standard in the alternative hotel, and that they put us in a quiet room.
We waited for a while. In the meantime a couple came in and were told the same thing, and offered a cup of tea (which we were not offered).

I paid then for this new room (no. 111) and we were escorted across the road to the Shaftesbury Premier. We were given room no. 118 (The Clubman) - This room was flawed and there were air conditioning units situated outside the window (which had a draft) - we had a broken nights sleep which impacted on Sundays sightseeing.

The Hyde Park Grand could not have been 4 Star - running a hotel isn't brain surgery - ensure you have maintenance teams at hand, train your staff to be courteous and speak in understandable and well constructed sentences, dress smartly, treat people with equality, and ensure that you stay in contact with guests should problems arise.

This is not the first time this has occurred - looking back at previous posts there have been many times this has happened - 1st Aug, 19th Oct, 31st Oct, 27th Nov, 7th Dec, 8th Dec.

I look forward to the managers response and also will be posting a review to the Shaftesbury Premier page - as that hotel also had much to be desired.

I will never go to this chain of hotels again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gourav G, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Park Grand London Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com as per your earliest convenience so we can talk discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & we look forward to welcoming you back at the Park Grand London Hyde Park.

Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,
Miriam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

You're in Town Visiting or for Business on a budget or not ; Grand London Hyde Park is The Place! Great customer Service . Very detailed and Professional ! From the Moment you check in
To the time you reach your Room. Rooms are very Clean . The Restaurant has a Great Service every morning. Great People , Friendly and Professional.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Gourav G, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & our fabulous staff.

We hope you will be back soon and for assistance in booking your future stay please write to me on housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

A lovely hotel, we never seemed to exit Paddington station the same way twice so it took some finding. The staff were nice, not very chatty but always said good morning and called the lift or held doors open. The room was small but adequate, the bed was SOOOOO comfy and the room temperature was perfect. The bathroom was very small but the shower took up most of this so was lovely not to climb over a bath to shower. Water temperature was perfect, towels were a little on the small side but I just like a big bath sheet!
The room was absolutely spotlessly clean, which is the main factor for me. Tea & coffee facilities were replenished each day and the hair dryer was the best I have ever used!
Breakfast was nice, I think the orange juice was a bit over diluted and the tea was quite weak on our first morning, but again this is personal preference. Everything was hot enough, there was more than enough choice and a good English breakfast is a must when we are sightseeing in London.
I would certainly consider staying here again for the price and especially if we are visiting the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland again as the location was brilliant for this. Maybe a bit too far out of the West End for a one night stay but we were there 2 so it was fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to read about our team’s friendliness and also your comments on our hotel cleanliness.
Hope to have a chance to give you warm welcome back in the near future.
Best Regards
Besana in Brianza, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Hotel is very nice and good compared to other 4 starred structures according to London standards.

The rooms are small but very clean and comfortable.

Breaksfast is average, but the staff throughout the structure is very helpful and ready

Room Tip: The club room on two floors is perfect for families
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
As mentioned, our rooms are indeed different in sizes. I would like to request you to give us an opportunity to arrange room with bigger room.
We ensure every guest has a relaxing visit and thank you for your observation in regards to our Breakfast
We hope to see you again very soon.
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend in December 2012. The room was clean, verry well heaten, with confortable beds.. The staff at the reception (Georgiana and Cristian) was verry helpful, always smiling, and proactive with our requests. They provided us useful travel tips and made verry good sugestions on restaurants we could chose. We felt really confortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & our fabulous staff.

Rugby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

A nice hotel in a regency terrace very close to Paddington station. Very small rooms for basic offering, but all facilities present, with very good shower pressure (often a failing in many tall hotels converted from houses). Very willing staff, excellent breakfast, comfortable beds, and clean. For the price, given its location, hard to beat imho.

Room Tip: Much of a muchness.....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at The Park Grand London Hyde Park were able to meet you expectations and that you loved the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back .
Gourav Gutpa
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel a sunday night december 2nd 2012. I have chosen because it's really 6 minutes from Paddington station. So no need to take a cab. Apart this, the reception was clean but basic and very strangely I had to pay in advance the room. They upgraded me in wonderful room with kitchen but it was too noisy so I asked for a change. Immediately they found two other rooms that Dennis showed me and I have chosen one looking on the inner court. Not a great view but calm and sunny. And again upgraded. After 10 minutes in the room, a man asked me to fix the lights of the bathroom and everything functioned so well. Perfect big tv, space for clothing and luggage too... I ADORED IT... HOPE TO COMEBACK at those low prices with high service.

Room Tip: ask for inner court room if you want silence
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Gourav G, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for the lovely comments on staff as well as service provided to you here at Park Grand London Hyde Park.
As mentioned, our rooms are indeed different in location and every room is unique. I would love to have you back with us and I will surely arrange category rooms for you. Please let me know about your future visit to do the arrangement.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.