“Very small room, dirty, cold, overpriced” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Park Grand London Hyde Park

You added Park Grand London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Park Grand London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   78-82 Westbourne Terrace | Paddington, London W2 6QA, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #373 of 1,066 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Very small room, dirty, cold, overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

i only had to stay there because I arrived last minute and everything else was fully booked. I got a standard room which was of very low standard, even for London.

The room I got was the smallest I have seen in ages. We could barely put(or open) our two trolleys(!). It's hard to move inside the room, I'm not joking. I stayed in autumn and temperatures were below 5 degree celsius. Unfortunately, the window couldn't be closed properly so I had to sleep in a very cold room. Apart from that the room wasn't cleaned to an average standard and you could find stains and dirt all over the place. Shower was cold too.

Sadly, the room was heavily overpriced. Will definitely not come back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Dennis,

I would like to thank you not only choosing to stay in Shaftesbury Premier Hyde Park Paddington, but also for your precious time giving your feedback. I am Sorry that your stay was not to your satisfaction and that we could not come up to your expectations.

We do understand the rooms are not that big enough as you must be aware with these victorian buildings it is very difficult to find spacious rooms.

This is to inform you that due to a very high demand and event dates the rate fluctuates according to the occupancy and it even goes more higher than expected.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope your experience does not prevent you from visiting us in the near future.

E Mail- housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Having read other reviews on TA, I was half expecting to get "bumped" to another hotel; so much so that I changed my plans to check in earlier to get it over and done with instead of at the end of my night out.
The signs were there at check-in; no immediate record of my booking and a blank registration for to fill in. But hey presto, the receptionist came off the phone and I was allocated a room! It was tiny, a bit tired and gloomy and with no chair for the desk and no working aircon. However it was cosy enough and clean.
When I got back from my evening out, I walked past reception to hear a guy being told that (yes, you've guessed it) his room wasn't available because of a maintenance issue and he was being moved elsewhere.
The frequency with which this occurs (judging by the reviews here) means this hotel and\or the hotel chain must be extremely unlucky with maintenance problems. Or not, perhaps. Let the buyer beware.

• Stayed April 2012
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear Jobo York,

I can assure you that your feedback has been taken very seriously and forwarded to our higher management for review and immediate implementation.

Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Horrible, horrible experience at this hotel!! Stayed for 2 nights with friends for a friend's 21st birthday get-away. This hotel is definitely NOT a 4 star!! Very cramped bedrooms, no walking space and the floor space was taken up with our two weekend bags. The bathroom..I'm not even going to go there! When we arrived, the hotel staff were very rude, they had only booked one room for us (4 people) when we had previously booked and paid for 2 rooms, which we asked to be close together and were assured we would be..we were on separate floors! Very overpriced for what you get! Had breakfast the first morning in the hotel (poor directions to the restaurant), opted to eat out for the rest of our stay as the food was horrendous! Do NOT recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a nice 4 star stay! Will not be returning in the future and have told many people about our experience..they too will not be staying at this hotel! As in my title..AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

We take our guest’s feedback seriously and act on them without a delay, just so that we could serve you and all our guests better. If at all convenient, we would love to speak to you in person at your preferred time and I have furnished my E Mail address for any direct correspondence to gather a detailed feedback on your experience, as we would like to achieve excellence in all aspects of our Hotel and we would love to take your points and experience on board to get the services better.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

I'll reserved a room for 3 nights, but when I arrived at the hotel it was overbooked, the staff arranged a driver to take me to an other hotel. Not as good as this one, all expences at the other hotel where payed. Drinks, breakfast for the next day, the next evening i'll was taken back to the original booked hotel. I'll received a double room and also breakfast was for free.

Stayed May 2011
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
We thank you for your valuable feedback and appreciate your comments.

However I would like to apologize for the inconvenience faced regarding reallocation.
We would love to take your points and experience on board to get the services more better.

We appreciate that you chose us over many other hotels and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Kind regards,

Email- housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

this hotel is okay for a short stay in london. rooms are small, but comfortable, in room safe avalable. clean. check in was slow, check out same. friendly staff. location only minutes from paddington station. we did not have breakfast at the hotel. there is a nice portugese cafe nearby with excellent english breakfast. a lot of workers eat there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Thank you for the review about your stay with us, and thank you so much for the compliments towards our staff friendliness,location and cleanliness of our room.

Kind regards,

Email- housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com
Moss, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Is this a fraud? We have av fairly good idea what a de-luxroom in a four star hotel should be. A bit strange that we had to pay the full amount upon arrival and not at check-out. Because the hotell was fully booked, we were taken across the street to a "similar" room. Never have we had a bigger hotel-shock. Around the small bed was a one-feet space on three sides. In addition there was about a square-meter by the door. Outside the window a wall rised about a feet from the glass and blocked a possible wiew. And possible fire-escape..? In the middle of the night we heard a spanish couple check in to the neighbour-room and the first we heard through the door and wall was "Oh my God..."
Rose early the next morning (why remain sleepless in bed..) and managed to talk us into a decent room in the main buliding. Although there was no refrigerator in this room either. During the day we saw - and specially heard - other guests telling the receptionist/manager the same story. It is hard not to belive that this is an official strategy from the hotel. Never again - even though the location is good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Worst travel experience ever. Property is NOT 4 stars. Rooms are tiny, facilities almost non-existent, food average, and staff an absolute disaster.

We arrived at the beginning of Easter weekend and immediately got a bait and switch. The company tried to move us to their neighboring property across the street... the Shaftesbury, or some such do to some alleged maintenance issues.We arrive in the room and it is a closet with a bed stuck in it. An additional bonus was the permeating smoke smell in a non-smoking room. As we had two rooms, it wasn't just a one room issue. All seemed to be like that. It certainly wasn't the 'deluxe' room we had paid for and certainly wasn't fit to house an 18 month old.

We went back to the lobby of the Park Grand and demanded to speak to the house manager. Apparently, this was a new concept to them as none was available. After wasting about 2 hrs., we finally received rooms in the Grand which were far better than the other property. However, they were still quite small and they were not as advertised on booking dot com.

Would that would have been it. The day before leaving we confirmed late check-out on day of our flight. In the morning after breakfast, the manager approached my wife and said we would need to leave by 1. I have never screamed, or had to harangue a hotel manager before. I had to on this occasion as they were still not doing their job properly.

My suggestion would be to avoid this hotel at all costs. You will be disappointed otherwise.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir,

We thank you for your valuable feedback and appreciate your comments.

It is most important to immediately rectify our shortcomings and listen to feedback to ensure corrective measures are taken as soon as possible.

However I would like to apologize for the inconvenience faced by you with regards to the reallocation and late check out, and would definately make every effort to earn it back by our hotel services for your future visits.

We hope to serve you again soon

Manager
housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com

Been to Park Grand London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!