“The Perfect Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Main House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Main House
You added The Main House to your Saves list
6 Colville Road | Notting Hill, London W11 2BP, England (Notting Hill)   |
Ranked #38 of 524 London B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“The Perfect Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

I stayed at the Main House on my first visit to London while on vacation with good friends. We spent our days wandering through antique markets, enjoying a few pints at local pubs, sightseeing, shopping, and dining on tasty ethnic cuisine. At night, we came back to what felt like home at the Main House in Notting Hill. We had our own key to the house (and our room), as well as a private phone and doorbell for our guests. The beds were warm and cozy, the bathroom was very clean, and the service was excellent. Caroline arranged for our transportation from the airport, we were greeted cheerfully each morning with a silver tray of coffee and tea at the time of our choosing, and we got expert advice on the best restaurants to try around the neighborhood. The location of the Main House was also very convenient; it’s around the corner from a perfect breakfast spot, a minute away from the famous Portobello Road market, and just a short walk from the Notting Hill Gate tube stop, local dining, and cozy pubs. I can’t imagine staying anywhere else when I return to London!

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

During a business trip, I opted to stay for three nights at this bed and breakfast after reading about glowing articles in travel magazines, rather than at our usual 4-star hotel. I like the simple, sparse furnishings and the massive bathroom in my second floor room. The owner and staff were largely absent, so no cafettiere was left outside my room. One evening, I became ill and accidentally soiled the linens. Nothing that would not have come out of the normal wash cycle, but the owner charged me an absurd fee of 50 quid cleaning fee. Isn't it routine to change and wash linens after each guest has vacated the room? Rather unsympathetic and downright greedy...

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2006

My best friend suprised me with a trip to London for my birthday. We usually visit london once a year as it is one of our favourite cities. After staying in many hotels, we were very curious about the Main House. Could it really be a mini oasis in our favourite neighborhood? Yes, and much more. From our warm welcome to our lovely large room and amazingly large bathroom, everything about the Main House was perfect.
After a long day of "living London", returning to the Main House felt like coming home. We had our own key to the house and if needed, our own doorbell for visitors. Staying at the Main House felt as if we had our own flat in Notting Hill! I love hotels, but not once did I miss the busy lobbies, waiting for elevators or the constant reminder that I was just visiting. Thanks to Caroline and Beata, I was at home in my favourite city. The Main House was and will continue to be my oasis away home.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

We had a great stay over the weekend at the Main House in Notting Hill. The B&B is located in the heart of pitoresque Notting Hill only minutes away (walking) from Portobello road and all lovely cafés, delis, restaurant and shops. The Main House is a beautiful Notting Hill town house and all rooms are uniquely furnished and decorated. Coffee or tea is served in the morning to your room; breakfast can be taken around the corner at Tom's Deli (great food and coffees). The atmosphere and service at the Main House is welcoming, warm and exceptionell friendly. You feel right at home!

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2005

Enormous room on second floor, simply but stylishly and elegantly decorated with antiques. Private bathroom was also huge. Another small room in the hall had a small refrigerator, guidebooks, and videos for guests.

The Notting Hill location is perfect for people who like exploring and wandering through the interesting and beautiful neighborhood. It's literally right around the corner from Westbourne Grove shops, cafes and deli. Portobello Market is another block away. A 5-10 minute walk to the Notting Hill Gate Underground station serving the District, Circle, and Central lines can get you anywhere you want to go in central London easily. There are also a lot of the more typical, urban stores down by the station: Marks and Spencer, Starbucks, several newstands, etc.

We arrived during the Notting Hill Carnival which made it impossible to get anywhere near the house in a car. The driver Caroline arranged got the car as close as he could, and then intrepidly helped us with our luggage through the crowds all the way to the door.

Caroline was terrific and helped us on a couple of issues that arose during our trip.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

Everything was great about the Main House: the room was extraordinary (beautiful, very big and very clean), the hostesses were very nice and helpful and the location is ideal (very quiet, safe and close to many good restaurants, pubs, bakeries and delis and at one step from the famous Portobello Market). The access to downtown is easy by bus (half an hour). It may seem long for certain people, but the ride allows you to visit some of the most interesting corners of London. Notting Hill is also a must in a London visit!

What we also found very useful were the tourist guides and tourist information that the Main House would lend us for free. Furthermore, the tea they bring to the room in the morning is a good starter. You almost feel at home at the Main House!

• Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

I am glad I followed the recommendation I had read and stayed at The Main House....the room was beautifully decorated with antique furniture, it was enormous and very light....the location was perfect - a vibrant neighbourhood and close proximity to public transport for everywhere I needed to go........and the owner had a very relaxed manner which made it easy to ask questions to make the most of my stay. Definitely recommended and I will go back for future visits to London.

Been to The Main House? Share your experiences!