When I review hotels on TripAdvisor I never rate a five-star hotel against a 3-star. I compare hotels based on similar experiences in the same category. I stayed here during a business trip with a large group and it was absolutely my worst experience while in the UK.
We hired someone who lived in London to find us a hotel that met the budget of our group of government and non-profit executives. From the very beginning the hotel misled us, did not fully reveal the extent of the renovations, and only showed the best rooms to our consultant. Some rooms did not have real windows but instead had opaque glass that made you feel like you were staying in an interior cabin on a cruise ship. It was claustrophobic! And when we asked about it they were unapologetic!
The desk staff were not locals so they were not helpful when it came to restaurant suggestions, directions, or transit information and they never seemed enthusiastic. They were never rude but I wouldn't call them friendly and in a city as large as London I really count on the hotel staff to give me some assistance, especially when I am travelling with a large group.
As for the booking staff, I have never dealt with people who were so unhelpful, unsympathetic to our situation, and at times, disrespectful.
There were a few good things: the location was fun, easy to walk to interesting restaurants (that we found on our own!) and nightlife. As it turns out, transit access was also excellent from this location but again, we discovered this on our own with the help of the transit staff and some friendly locals, not the hotel staff. The breakfast was generous with a fantastic selection, the room was clean, the view from the restaurant and rooftop patio was amazing. But given how poorly we were treated I would not recommend this hotel to others. I would instead look for another option in this interesting area. Renovations are never fun but that excuse for bad attitude. Better service and more honesty would have made this a better experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, a 5 star property in the historic Shoreditch neighbourhood, a hub for galleries, theaters and fashion, home of the Brick Lane market and a canvas for street artists from around the world.It’s a neighborhood with a long history of culture and industry — the first district where plays were performed in London, banned at that time in the center city, and later a center of in textile and furniture manufacture.Today’s Shoreditch is a leader in the arts, design, cuisine, culture and technology — an outpost in the global community of ideas. The design at Ace Hotel London hints at a wide range of influences from UK punk to the bold graphic style of the early 20th century Vorticist movement, to the clean Modernism of the Bauhaus.All rooms have vintage furniture, original artwork, in-room safe and flatscreen TV with Ace video-on-demand and Revo radios with Ace-curated radio stations, plus a well-stocked mini-bar and complimentary WiFI. Some rooms have turntables and a selection of vinyl and acoustic guitars.Easy access to Moorgate, Finsbury Square and Liverpool Street. Destination restaurant Hoi Polloi is by David Waddington and Pablo Flack who are restaurateurs behind Bistrotheque and Shrimpy’s. Gym is open 24 hours; the Hotel also features a Basement Bar with live gigs and DJ sets, a lobby bar, The Bulldog Edition - a coffee shop in partnership with Square Mile Coffee Roasters, an exhibition gallery, on-site juice bar, a flower shop, and 24 hours room service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Ace Hotel London Shoreditch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch Hotel London
- London Crowne Plaza
- Ace Hotel London Shoreditch England