“Homecoming to 108 Streathbourne Road” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 108 Streathbourne Road

We can't find prices for this accommodation
108 Streathbourne Road
You added 108 Streathbourne Road to your Saves list
108 Streathbourne Road | Balham, London SW17 8QY, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #17 of 524 London B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Homecoming to 108 Streathbourne Road”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Homecoming to 108 Streathbourne Road for B&B.

What an absolute delight to be back at 108 Streathbourne Road! I was in London again from Sydney for a family wedding. This time, Mary and David Hodges (after a very warm welcome!), gave me their charming, cosy single bedroom which overlooked their very pretty garden at the rear of their house. And I had access to a huge bathroom! The dear little bedroom itself was filled with everything to make you feel cheery and comfortable. Flowers, magazines, TV, a tray for coffee and tea making…just lovely and plenty of room for my suitcase which is not always the case in a single room.

108 was to be my London base for the very busy wedding week so transport links were very important. They turned out to be everything that I wanted. For example, I could take a 319 bus to Chelsea for Kings Road shopping, an overland train to Victoria to visit the Queen’s Gallery at Buckingham Palace (one of the places on my ‘must see’ list). And I could take the Underground to Leicester Square for the theatre. Mary and David also have useful contacts with hire car/taxi services if you need to go somewhere in a car. They are a fount of local information and most helpful with international and local travel enquiries which are of paramount importance when one is in another country.

All in all I cannot speak too highly of my recent stay at 108. I looked forward each morning to the delicious breakfast in the elegant dining room (a choice of either traditional cooked English or continental) and what is particularly pleasing, their rates are very, very good value for LONDON!!! A stay at 108 is like coming home to the family!

Room Tip: All the bedrooms are lovely but visiting solo on this trip I found the single blue and white bedroom...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Our second stay at Streathbourne Rd and I must say that the accommodation continues to be exceptional. Mary and David are the perfect hosts and make your stay very special in their beautiful home. For a reasonably priced B&B close to public transport into the City, good sized bedroom and bathroom and superb breakfasts then look no further. This B&B will remain our
first choice whenever we are visiting London

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and I were making our third trip to London in October and wanted a different experience of the city than before. We had stayed in hotels on earlier visits, close to "the action" of Piccadilly Circus and the West End, but this time we wanted to feel we actually lived in England for a time. Fortunately, we found online information and reviews about 108 Streathbourne Road, a B&B that's actually in the Wandsworth suburb south of London (closest tube stop Tooting Bec), and booked a room there.

We enjoyed our stay immensely. David and Mary Hodges are gracious hosts, and their home is comfortable and lovely. Mary pampered us with full English breakfasts, perfectly cooked to order, and David provided information on good area restaurants, how to get from Point A to Point B, and other out-of-towner concerns--rather like having a concierge for the city on speed-dial!

We had the two-bedded room at the top of the tall house, so I couldn't get the Wi-Fi there on my little computer, but I logged on in the dining room once breakfast was over, and the Wi-Fi worked perfectly there. Our room and the adjoining bath were spotlessly clean, and fresh towels were provided each day. One of our priorities while in London was attending several plays in the West End, and we got there and back easily by tube. We enjoyed comparing notes on plays with the Hodges, who also are theater buffs, and on other goings-on about the city.

When compared with London hotel prices, 108 Streathbourne Road is definitely affordable and was a very positive experience. We would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Salamander Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

108 Streathbourne Road was a great find for me, I was visiting my daughter in London and wanted a quiet place to retire each night, Mary and David were very accommodating and very friendly. The breakfast was delicious, the room spotless, so couldn't ask for anything more. The house is close to the overland train into London, or the tube is only a 5 minute walk away. The area felt very safe, and Tooting Common was only at the top of the street. All in all I would highly recommend, and I already have to lots of Aussie friends, and I would be staying there on my next visit to the UK. Judy Salamander Bay NSW

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

David and Mary are exceptional hosts who were warm and friendly making us feel at home from the moment we arrived. Their home is warm and inviting, the rooms are cheery, clean, and comfortable, and the traditional English breakfast was a treat every morning. David and Mary were very helpful guiding us to the best transit to and fro as well as how to make the most of our stay. We loved that their home was away from the hustle and bustle of the city but really only a short walk and train ride to the major sites. We loved talking to them and spent much of the rest of the trip reminiscing about our stay. Our young adult children really enjoyed their stay as well and couldn't say enough about how they enjoyed David and Mary. We chose to stay at this B&B due to the recommendations we read and are all too happy to add ours to the list of satisfied guests.

* Say what you liked best & least

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I was in London for a week on a training course. I usually stay in business hotels but on this occasion decided on a B&B, ideally somewhere offering that personal touch in a quiet location so I could study in the evening, with decent local restaurants and easy access into Central London. 108 Streathbourne Road offered all of these.

Situated on a quiet, leafy South London side road, the house felt very homely; my single room which looked over the back garden was spotless, the bed was very comfortable, free wi-fi access, and it perfectly met my requirements. Tooting Bec Common is a stone's throw from the house - a great spot for an early evening run.

Mary and David were delightful hosts, very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Mary’s breakfasts were delicious. David gave excellent local restaurant recommendations and directions – The French Café, Numero Uno and Gurka (Nepalese) were all within 5-10 mins walking distance, are particularly noteworthy.

All in all, it was a great stay, certainly one of the better B&Bs I’ve stayed in, and I’d thoroughly recommend.

Thanks Mary and David!

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Erlangen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I vistited London several times, but never had a better accommodation! Mary and David are lovable hosts, they made us feel at home, comfortable and cosy. Their B&B ist located in a lovely and quiet area in the south of the city, just a short walk from tube-station tooting bec and railroad station balham. I could write long songs of praise, but I in a few words: I highly recommend it, we will certainly return!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to 108 Streathbourne Road? Share your experiences!