“Loved it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Zetter Hotel

You added The Zetter Hotel to your Saves list
The Zetter Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   86-88 Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RJ, England (Clerkenwell)   |
Ranked #131 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lisbon-Portugal
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for two nights late last month (May 07) during a business trip to London. As far as location is concerned it is probably not the no.1 choice for those visiting London for pure leisure as there are others more central. For business purposes, particularly if you have to be near Farringdon, this is definitely a very good choice. Guess the “boutique” label is a bit overstated but it surely have a few interesting distinctive features. Te room was spacious (guess I was lucky with no less than 4 windows overlooking the street in front), books on the bedside (this was a novelty for me), broadband internet connection – free of charge, vending machines on every floor and a great, but I mean great, restaurant/breakfast room. I have no doubts recommending it and will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

My chance to stay at The Zetter came only recently when I was visiting London with my girlfriend and wanted to stay somewhere close to the "action" - Farringdon, the City (for going out and sightseeing) and the West End (for shopping). I booked directly with The Zetter but then found a better deal through Mr and Mrs Smith, so sent a very clear email instruction about 4 weeks before I travelled to cancel the original reservation. I didn't receive a response from The Zetter, but didn't think anything of this but thinking back, I should have probably made sure my old reservation was cancelled.

As we arrived at the hotel on the Sunday evening, the staff serving us at reception were very frosty. I explained that we booked through Mr and Mrs Smith and showed my card. No mention was made of the complimentary cocktail that you should get on arrival. Not to worry.

We were showed to our room and to be honest it wasn't very big and for the money I would expect to have a bit of space around the double bed to move around. It felt very cramped. We paid extra for a rooftop room and the view did not disappoint. We were treated to glorious views of the City and the rest of London plus the weather was fantastic so the beautiful blue skies definitely added to the experience. London was quite warm, and a bit of air-conditioning would have been nice. However, the room's aircon wasn't working properly so we had to keep the windows open. Again, not something you'd expect from a GBP245 per night room. Bed was very comfortable and the room definitely was style. I really liked the touch of having an iPod dock and the other small touches were nice.

Bathroom was a perfect example of making the most of a small space - gave me some great ideas for renovating my own place! I don't think it is nit picking to note that the towels were consistently like drying yourself with sandpaper. Perhaps some fabric softener would have been nice - it felt like the towels hadn't been replaced since the hotel's opening and they had a grey-ish look to them.

As I say in my title, I really wanted to love this place. I have dined at the hotel restaurant a few times and I have always liked the hotel's vibe. I wanted to avoid a big chain because I wanted personal service. As the days passed, I realised that noone behind the desk said "good morning" as you went out in the morning nor did anyone say "good evening" when you came back at night. This you might expect in a 400 room Hilton but not in a 56 room hotel such as The Zetter.

The final complaint and I have left the best until last. On the Tuesday morning at 8.30 my cell phone rang and it was a very rude receptionist asking where I was as I had not turned up for the original booking that I made directly with the hotel. I explained that I had made a subsequent booking through Mr and Mrs Smith and had sent a cancellation email to [--]. The receptionist told me that they had not received this mail and she would have to speak to her manager about the cancellation fee. At this point I was made to question my own sanity and I would like to add that I have subsequently checked by sent items to find the mail with the confirmation code clearly stated. I told the receptionist that I had already checked into the hotel - could they not have detected that I was the same M. O'Leary from Singapore? Apparently not. I said that I was not prepared to pay a cancellation fee and would check out immediately if this was levied - I was then told not to be too hasty by the rude receptionist. Again, this isn't a massive hotel and I felt that the service quality was overall pretty poor; especially how this situation was dealt with. The fact that they had made an admin error was made out to be my fault and I was repeatedly told that they were fully booked last night and had held the room for me. I was supposed to deal with this at 8.30 in the morning?

The hotel is stunning, the decor is great and the location is perfect . The bar is very cool - so retro! They started selling Meantime beer from Greenwich which is a real find. The restaurant (not that we went this time) is very good italian, with a great wine list. The view was excellent from the roof terrace.

When I looked at the bill and saw GBP800 for the three night stay, I started asking myself whether it was really worth it. On this occasion, I don't think it was. I don't think I will be returning to the Zetter to stay. Hopefully someone from The Zetter will look at this review and do something about the service. With so many gushing reviews on tripadvisor, maybe it was me? Genuinely I feel that there is much room for improvement.

• Liked — Location, decor, views of the City.
  • Disliked — Service which was very impersonal and at times very rude.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

This was my second stay at the Zetter. If you have a lot of energy or a few extra minutes, you could check out my previous review. In short, I am still very impressed with the hotel and even more impressed with the surrounding area. But if you are American (as am I), I wouldn't get too caught up in the rave reviews by British tourists. On the whole, hotels in London are lousy with respect to value compared to other European capitals and especially compared to the U.S., and you will be disappointed if you expect the Zetter to be on par with similarly priced modern/ trendy hotels in the U.S.. The dollar is very weak compared to the pound, and unlike the restaurant scene the hotel choices in London have not really improved much in the past 20 years. The rooms are small but well designed. Housekeeping is flawless, the staff is great, and the bartenders are simultaneously good-looking, engaging, and make great Mojitos. The biggest asset of the hotel is the surrounding area. You will feel that you are in the "real" London...hip, safe, exciting, and as convenient as anywhere else for sight-seeing but without the tourist hordes. Just keep in mind....for London (but not the U.S.), the Zetter is a really good value.

Stayed May 2007
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Some live in a house, some live in a flat, some live on a boat, but I on the other hand, until a few months ago, lived in a hotel! Not just any hotel, rather a restaurant with rooms, which in reality doesn’t sound as seedy as one might assume.

Housed in the old pool rooms on Clerkenwell road, The Zetter is more like the loft apartment you always dreamt of owning rather than a room to rent. Great management, staff who go over and above the call of duty, a restaurant serving home cooked Italian food that gives Elizabeth David a run for her money. What more could a 30 something girl in the city ask for?

Stayed May 2007
Woking
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

What a wonderful experience staying in the Zetter was........ From the moment I arrived the reception I felt special and very modern. The rooms are just fab, I just love the pink lights, choice of music and all the quirky extras that are dotted around the rooms, very original. I also really appreciated the local information that was in the room for the guests, not only interesting but very useful The convenience of the vending machines on each floor is a brilliant idea, how many times have I forgotten that vital essential, and there they all were, not to mention the naughty treats, vodka redbull and chocolate yum yum!
I had breakfast and dinner in the hotel, again, service and food was just wonderful. The menu had that "special something" which made the meals just irresistible.
Would I come and stay again.........absolutely would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
E. Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

My boyfriend and I decided to celebrate our engagement in London in style and after searching the found The Zetter to be recommended as stylish, modern and funky. We were not dissapointed - the staff could not have been kinder (and that was before they knew why we were there) - the rooms were really cool, with great quirky bits like pink lighting, rain showers and the comfiest pillows ever - but the best part for me were the cocktails. AMAZING. We had a great weekend and would definately, definitely go back.

• Liked — The style and uniqueness
  • Disliked — Nothing - all was amazing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

The only problem with this hotel, is that it such a short stay!
Not many londoners are aware of this trendy area, let alone this little hotel. The area is amougst cafes, bars, restaurants and iconic nightclubs, I say pah to the west end.
You must visit the Zetter. They have these cool pink lights all over the hotel and grab a cocktail from the bar, the waiters are all beautiful.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — leaving!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Zetter Hotel? Share your experiences!