“Great location, fantastic service, clean rooms, all you need!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #199 of 1,065 Hotels in London
spalding, UK
“Great location, fantastic service, clean rooms, all you need!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here this weekend for my father in laws 80th birthday., Phoned before hand to see if we could request a room with a view for my father in law (we as a party had two rooms), lady on phone was very polite but said that in our category of room view was not available and that I would need to upgrade, disappointing but understandable.

When we arrived we had to go back to reception three times as we were given wrong room keys, on the second occasion the keys worked but it was my in laws room and my mother in law was in the shower! They saw funny side but would not have been had it been someone we did not know!

The room was very clean and hotel itself if lovely, very modern and clean. All staff we encountered were very friendly and polite but the main attraction of the hotel is its location, just off the river and minutes away from St Pauls and Tate Modern added bonus is the city it quiet at weekends.

We would definitely return, very pleasant experience especially given that it was our 2 and 5 year olds sons first trip to a hotel, we usually self cater on trips and was expecting a lot less pleasurable experience!

Room Tip: Need to upgrade to club room to get view of St Pauls, all rooms are quiet at weekend as hotel is in...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear mini-chippers,
Thank you very much for your message on Trip Advisor.
I am happy to learn that overall your stay with us was enjoyable, my apologies for the issues experienced. I have addressed the matter with the relevant departments for immediate corrective action.
I am sorry to miss you visit, but I hope to welcome you back in person in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Senior Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza over a Bank Holiday weekend for Mum's 70th Birthday in a party of 9.

The hotel is a modern city centre type hotel, very comfortable and convenient.

Got a really great rate online and overall had a fantastic stay, couple of issues (wrong rate at check in and smoking room first time) but both were corrected immediately with zero fuss.

The rooms were really comfortable and good quality, great to see lots of free coffee, tea etc. Location is excellent, just over the road is the tube and easy walk to Southbank (Tate, Globe etc), St Paul's and Westminster (about 1.5 mile).

The staff were also excellent, as it was Mum's birthday, they upgraded her, brought her cake to the room signed by the staff and generally were super attentive (even sorted a table for 9 at breakfast each day). Special mention goes to the concierge team, who were first rate and one of the best I've encountered.

With business I stay in hotels about 3 times a week and have high standards, even higher on this occasion having just returned from 2 weeks in the States staying at high quality hotels. The Crowne Plaza didn't disappoint and helped make the weekend very special. For the very low rate we secured (booking direct) it was simply superb.

Dear Mark H,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words following your recent stay at crowne Plaza London - The City. I was so pleased to read that we met your expectations in terms of the facilities we provide and most importantly the service. I have passed on your words to my team. Please do come and visit us once again soon.
My best regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night in July. This hotel is conveniently located opposite Blackfriars tube station. The inside is spacious, clean and fresh looking. Theres a Tesco Express a few steps away.
On check out we got told that we had breakfast when we didnt and a few days later received an invoice in the post - but thats all sorted now.
Number one choice! Brill hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Raks 21,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words following your return stay at Crowne Plaza London - The City. I was delighted that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay. Please do come and visit us again soon.
My kindest regards,
Stock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here as I needed an overnight stop in Blackfriars. I must confess that for the £274 I paid for a "deluxe" room I was expecting rather more! My original room has a queen size bed (5 ft) despite being sold as a room with "large double" - foolishly I assumed that to be a king size bed but was advised by the staff that all standard rooms have 4ft 6 inch beds (which I find astonishing in a so called 4 star hotel), deluxe rooms have queen beds and only their suites have king sized beds. Anyway - with no suites available I switched to a twin room which had two 4ft 6inch beds. This room was slightly larger than my original, but both rooms were tired with badly scraped leather furniture, chipped paint and dated furniture. The bathroom was OK - but again despite the "deluxe" level only had a shower over the bath rather than a separate walk-in shower. Room service was prompt, but food was distinctly lack lustre for the price. If staying in this area again I'd rather pay the £169 the Premier Inn over the road charges for their rooms!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear quin-i-bog,
Many thanks for your comments following your recent stay with us. At Crowne Plaza London - The City we pride ourselves on caring for all of our guests so I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations, in particular our product.
Please do feel free to contact me personally at any time should you wish to discuss your stay with me in more detail.
Kind Regards,
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

my wife our ten year old and myself chose this hotel as it is central for what we wanted a short walk led us to everything we needed right opposite the underground station so two minuets and you can be on the tube to where you like or 1.5 mile walk and your in covent garden,the rooms were very clean and comfortable beds were great after walking around our great city for hours,so quiet never heard a thing all night the only nagging comment i will make is they state there is ice machines on every floor no there isnt ther is one on the second floor that didnt work and then the forth floor that did work we were on the first floor so it was room card in the lift press the button get out on the second no ice press the lift button wait for the lift insert room card well you the idea but thats the only bad thing i can say about the hotel,come out hotel turn left plenty of pub grub all the way,nice litte pub opposite for a quiet drink before bed all in all great two days many thankd to staff at the crown plaza

Room Tip: we were in an inner room dead quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear nick m,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that our great location and friendly services contributed to having a good stay with us.
Our ice machines on the second floor is being repaired, and on others floors are working. We have a project to place one ice machine on each floor in the future. As as alternative our room service can deliver ice to the room upon request.

I do hope this does not discourage you from coming back in the future and I look forward to extending a warm welcome to you!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here after going to the theatre in the west end. Wanted somewhere equidistant between west end and city as had to go to work the next day. Even though we were only there one night we could see the service was great. Very smooth and efficient check in. Lovely big and quiet room on 4th floor (409). Went to breakfast at 7am and it was empty luckily. Great selection of food and superb coffee. Will definitely stay here again if opportunity arises.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear PistolPete2009,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great comments on Trip Advisor.
It is really great to learn we met your expectations during your last visit here at Crowne Plaza London - The City, and rated us five stars!
I am especially glad we were able to make your stay even more memorable with the help of the staff .
I do hope to extend another warm welcome to you in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed the weekend of 12-14 July. Although checking in took three attempts to get the twin room I had reserved the reception team upgraded us for the inconvenience. The housekeeping staff were spot on changing our room around. My highest commendation goes to the portering staff who were fast, efficient and extremley helpful; they were rushed off their feet most of the time but were so kind. In fact they treated us like VIP's and deserved the tip they received.

Our executive room on the second floor was fantastic, we were on a room and breakfast rate and the buffet each morning was plentiful. All in all I would recommend staying at this hotel. A two minute walk from Buchingham Palace, the Mall, and 5- 20 minutes from Horseguards, Green Park, St James Park. We walked everywhere the whole weekend including the West End and theatreland.

We've already booked up for another visit end of September.

Room Tip: Some people recommend overlooking the courtyard which we originally booked but found out that these...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear AmeliaT22,
Thank you so much for posting your great feedback on Trip Advisor.
We are thrilled to have read you scored Crowne Plaza London - The City with five stars which is the highest level!
We would like to especially thank you for mentioning the staff. We strive to provide our guests with a "home away from home" experience and are delighted to know we have met your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back in September. Please let me know the dates so we can prepare and works some magic for your stay.
Senior Guest Relations Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza London - The City? Share your experiences!