“Central Crowne Plaza” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza London - The City

You added Crowne Plaza London - The City to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza London - The City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 New Bridge Street, London EC4V 6DB, England (City of London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #173 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Central Crowne Plaza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Have just stayed two nights at this well appointed hotel in Blackfriars. Although this hotel is not central to the west end it is surrounded by n excellent transport infrastructure - with Blackfriars tube/train station over the road and buses that take you to all the main centres - including the city and tower bridge etc. We had a lovely room on the third floor (room 319) at the back of the hotel - it was really light, airy and quiet. Firstly we were given an internal room (116) and it was terribly hot there and the air-conditioning wasn't efficient. One phone call to reception and they moved us with no questions asked. Breakfast was very good and up to the usual Crowne Plaza standard. The staff were attentive without being over officious.

Room Tip: A two double bed room (not internal though) is good
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ExecOffices, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear cymrobangor,

We appreciate the time taken to post feedback and were so happy to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Our team strive to deliver excellent service, so I am pleased to learn that the response to your request was efficient, and fulfil your expectations.
We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed three nights and enjoyed a special rate. Great location, good value for money and very friendly and helpful reception staff. We had a room facing New Bridge and black friars pub, which gave a bit of a view.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ViggoBangkok,
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time taken to post the comment, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Senior Guest Relations Manager
sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is opposite Blackfriars station & tube. Its a short tube ride or 20 minute walk to the nearest tourist attractions, but that shouldn't put you off considering staying at this hotel - especially if you bag a good room rate.

The hotel seems to be made up of two buildings - the older, facing the station (and a fairly busy road) has been joined to a rear property - with a light well between the two. I asked for a quiet room, and was allocated one with windows onto the central area - no view, but (more importantly for me) almost no noise to disturb a night's rest.

Staff at the check in desk were perfect - friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The room was spacious - with a few added touches - a complementary bottle of water; a radio/cd player, and good quality bathroom products.

The bathroom looked as though it had been revamped recently - retaining its original bath and basin with fresh tiles etc.

Spotless throughout - my only grumble would be the expensive wifi charges.

Dear keitharrowsmith,

Thank you for your lovely message on Trip Advisor.

It is always a pleasure to read reviews and learn that our service and facilities where a plus to our guests trip to London.

We do offer free Internet for the guests using the facilities in our Lobby Lounge. As from 1st of July Internet will be complimentary for all Gold, Platinum, and Ambassador members of our Priority Club. From 1st January 2014, Internet will be complimentary for all guest registered in the Priority Club program.

Guest Relations Manager
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

What a disaster zone. I did not have an account on this site but created one to inform you about my experience.
Checked in on Thursday for business and combined it with a weekend trip. Room was not ready when I arrived at 5. No apology no solution as I had to prepare for my appointment the following day I sat in the lounge and paid for my own coffee. Nice area to meet but was too worked up to enjoy it. When I eventually got the room it was a standard room, asked to move as i paid around +£200 for a club room. Can't see much of difference. Besides the shampoo. Rip off.
Breakfast was friendly but never got my coffee and scrambled eggs were microwaved. Room service following day came 30 min late.
In contrary Italian Dinner on the second night in Refettoria was lovely, tasty pasta and good waiter. We had a drink in the hotel bar called Voltaire afterwards, we were the only guest with 2 other couples. When a couple next to us challenged about the taste of the £14 cocktail. The waiter rolled his eyes while he was walking towards his colleagues at the bar.
Ordered extra towels, never arrived. Club lounge too fulI, I felt I had landed in a practical joke.
On check out they ask about my stay and informed them about my experience. They told me they will pass on my comment to the general manager (does he exist). As he was to busy to meet me + no response so far.
This describes the hotel, people wake up. Don't need compensation just acknowledgement during my stay. Thank you mr. John Cleese for the great episode. Hope you take the comments on board as nobody should go through this again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Stravel76,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. I am very sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this day most especially with the state of the room that you were given and staff service being sub par. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Staying more than a few days in a hotel really tests its staff, resources, and facilities in my opinion. Choices of nice hotels in the City of London area are not extensive, so hitting on the perfect place was a bit of good fortune. We came for a business transaction and stepping each day back into the hotel was like walking into an oasis of peace and calm. Our entire team continued to remark throughout the stay on how perfect a choice Crowne Plaza was and how glad we were that we had chosen it as our base.

The hotel is well located, the staff unbelievably helpful and attentive. When we got there, we needed an extension cord that would work with a UK plug. We asked the bell boy to recommend a nearby store and he promptly brought us one from the service department for our use the entire stay. They also found a clothes rack for our use since I had brought clothes for all occasions for a month of business, casual, and parties (all hotels everywhere could use a bit more closet and drawer space!) which saved me buying something on Amazon.UK. My husband and business partner had bought an Apple TV unit for the trip and the hotel had their IT people enable the connections so that we could come home from a grueling business day and catch up on our favorite programs. Yes, some of this was because we were staying 30+ days, but I do believe that this customer service attitude is deeply engrained in the staff which you simply don’t find in every smart hotel these days, sadly (see my review of The Grange Hotel).

Everything you expect to work in a hotel worked well here – the phones (I can’t tell you how many good hotels have not turned on the phone when I get to the room), running water at all times (see my second review of the Andaz Hotel), the peaceful quiet needed for a good night’s rest, helpful advice of where to eat, and bringing up off the Room Service food from the wonderful restaurants in the hotel.

Traveling as a business woman, the availability of quality room service is important to me, so this is a function I test regularly. With three world class restaurants and a very cool bar, the choices were much larger than I would have expected in a Crowne Plaza. Turns out that the Italian Restaurant, Refettorio, is one of the best in London. It was always lively later at night, the food was always excellent, and the waiters were friendly and attentive. What more could you ask for? We really loved the Chinese Cricket Club which has great Chinese food and a great atmosphere. For a casual lunch or dinner, there was The City Lounge in the lobby area (sit near the fireplace on a chilly day). Lastly there is the newly renovated bar called Voltaire which again has a different menu to choose from and very cool and quirky atmosphere.

At the end, we told the manager that the hotel should be rebranded as an Intercontinental Hotel as it was clearly, in our opinion, up to that standard.

Room Tip: The St. Paul Suite is truly amazing with a view of the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral which is alm...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ExecOffices, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear watergirlMichele,
I would like to thank you for taking to time to write such a detailed account of your stay at Crowne Plaza London - The City. Even after staying for a month it is fabulous to see you how much you enjoyed your time here, and found the staff very helpful and that all your needs with tended to. It is great to see you dined in each of out outlet, especially our new Champagne and Cigar Bar, Voltaire.
I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Chose this hotel because it was one of the very few that had 11 straight nights free that I needed on short notice for a business trip. As I realized, it's very hard to find that many nights free at a hotel in London unless you book way early, and I worried a bit whether the hotel might have some undesirable quality that resulted in that much availability - but my worries were completely unfounded and it turned out to be a very nice quiet stay.

Great location right across from Blackfriars station and a historic pub and park. Starbucks and Caffe Nero are within a block. My room was VERY quiet despite being right by the elevator. I am used to hearing a lot of noise from maids, elevators and other guests, and I heard very little which was great as I needed to work in my room during part of each day. Room had big comfy bed, was generally clean and spacious, with plenty of work space on a desk with outlets as well as a sitting room area with couch, chair and coffee table. Big closet space with drawers and nice hangers, ironing board, good sized in-room safe. Furniture and air conditioning all looked new and worked great. Bathroom was clean, fixtures looked new, lots of towels provided and big complimentary bathrobes. Complimentary tea setup with a pot, tea bags, cookies and chocolate was refreshed daily. There's also a minibar although you don't really need it because the Tesco Express is literally steps outside the back door.

Staff were nice, provided excellent service and especially conscientious about wake-up calls (they have a deal where if you don't get your call then your room is free - which on some days resulted in my getting more than one call. Had the in-room dining twice and it was very good, especially the dim sum from the Chinese Cricket Club restaurant in the hotel. Housekeeping was also generally good - they missed vacuuming once or twice and put the hot pot away with water in it once causing me to spill a lot of water when I went to get it out again.

Most importantly the hotel gave me FREE INTERNET because i was staying so long, which I REALLY appreciated since I need this for work and do not enjoy having to pay an extra 16 to 20 pounds for it a day - ridiculous amount for something that's becoming a business necessity. Over 11 days stay this cost would have really added up for me and it's something I always think hotels should include in their basic rate, at least if they have many business travelers.

The main complaint I had was that the bathroom, although clean and new, had very low hot water pressure in the tub and shower (sink was fine) and the ergonomics were not good. The tub is deep like it's for baths, but due to the hot water coming out in a trickle, bathwater was cold by the time you got the tub filled. Tub is raised with no grab bar to help one get in and out, causing me to have to hold onto the wall, and I almost slipped and fell once. If you don't close the door firmly it swings open while you're on the loo, hitting you in the knees - and it's quite heavy. Magnifying mirror was installed at the height for a tall man and could not be adjusted up and down so being a short female, I had to sit on the sink to be tall enough to use it. Also it would be good if a waterproof surface with an outlet was provided somewhere for one to make tea - I ended up making it on the desk every morning as there was no place else, and over time the heat and splashing on the desk is likely to take the finish off.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ExecOffices, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Bunnydots,
I would like to thank you for taking the time provide such detailed comments on your recent long stay at Crowne Plaza London - The City. The hotel is in such a great location and I am glad you found the rooms quiet, clean and you enjoyed free internet. It is always great to see you found the staff nice and provided you with an excellent service. With regards to your comments on the water pressure, I will pass this on to our engineering team to look into.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Like to say a big thank you to the Crown Plaza Hotel at Blackfriars for our first class stay when we recently celebrated my Wife’s birthday
Steven in the Convivium Club was extremely helpful, he encouraged me to book into a club room which included access to the Club Lounge with continental breakfast
On arrival at 4:30 pm we were greeted by a very welcoming young lady on reception who booked us in and handed us our keys to our 6th floor room
The room had everything we required including modern furnishings comfortable queen bed and very pleasant bathroom with lovely toiletries. It was perfectly clean, comfortable and everything worked.
We decided to check out the Club Lounge and made ourselves coffee and tea and sat relaxing and unwinding.
After changing for our theatre visit we went back to the lounge and enjoyed a glass of white wine and canopies
The hotel is perfectly situated for the Adelphi Theatre, only 20 minutes’ walk, and we had a lovely stroll along the embankment, eventually turning right up to the Strand,
After the show and a light meal in The Salieri Restaurant we returned to the hotel for coffee in the lounge.
Breakfast in the morning was great and we left feeling we had had a perfect night out
All your staff were friendly and helpful and really made us feel at home

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ExecOffices, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Robert H,
Thank you for taking the time to kindly comment about your recent stay at the hotel. It is fantastic to see you chose Crowne Plaza London - The City to enjoy your wife's birthday and found that the room had everything you required. It is great to see you enjoyed a Club room and the Club Lounge, experienced great breakfast and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I will pass your comments onto the team, especially Steve from the Convivium Club.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Charlotte

Been to Crowne Plaza London - The City? Share your experiences!