“Good Location, Near The Tube” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza London - The City

You added Crowne Plaza London - The City to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza London - The City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 New Bridge Street, London EC4V 6DB, England (City of London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #177 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cincinnati,Ohio
“Good Location, Near The Tube”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

We recently spent 2 days in London and wanted a decent hotel close to the trains and Tube (aka London's subway). This one is across the street from the Blackfriars Station.
Being this was a Crowne Plaza, the hotel was very clean with updated contemporary deco. We arrived early and of course our room wasn't ready. They tried to upgrade us to a suite (for more $$ of course), but we declined. We were able to store our luggage in a room behind the reception area. I suggest, as we did, that you lock your luggage w/locks. We didn't have any problems, but just in case...
We had a standard double room. The pictures for this room on the Crowne Plaza website are pretty accurate. The only thing I didn't like was that the elevator and lights in the room required you to enter your key card. The bed was comfy and plenty of pillows. Blankets were in the closet and adj. thermostat on the wall. Note that the hairdryer was in a drawer in the closet. There was a dryer attached to the wall, I think it was meant to dry a man's beard.
There was a weight sensor bar in the room, under the TV. Very expensive for items, even before the British Pound to US conversion. They have internet access through the room TV. However, I recommend going to their center. The TV keyboard was not very user friendly. If I recall, I think either option cost 10 lbs.
We ate at the restaurant 1 level up from the main lobby for breakfast. It was ok by our standards. It had more local food on the buffet, things that we didn't like too much. Looking back it was a chance to try some of their food.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Slow Elevators
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
franck_hesse, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 12, 2008
Dear customer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay. I'm happy to hearyour compliments about our location and can only agree. Even though not based on Oxford Street or Picadilly Circus you can either walk to some other Key sightseeing attractions such as Covent garden or St. Paul's cathedral or jump onto the Tube, which can even get you to Heathrow.

I'm surprised to hear that you were unhappy about our security features on the hotel. We have installed the keycard system in the elevators to restrict access to guest floors to our guests, making our hotel one of the safest in London.
Regarding the keycard slot in the guest room, which controls the power circuits in the room; This is one of the many green initiatives our hotel has been undertaking in the last year and is one of the reasons our business has been awarded being one of the greenest in the city of London.

I'm pleased you were satisfied by our Breakfast buffet and I would like to invite you to try some local items on the buffet on your next visit. Thanking you for your time and consideration I would love to see you back in our hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

We reserved a king room on the extremely quiet executive floor after crossing the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2. Our room was large and comfortable although I did feel the bed was a bit too hard. As always, the best thing about staying on the executive floor of a Crowne Plaza is the free internet, wonderful breakfast and generous early evening wine and canape spread, which is a treat if you are planning to go to the theatre before having dinner. Hotel staff can't do enough to help with your travel planning and transportation. It was a big anniversary during our stay and my elderly mother called from Canada wanting to send us a bottle of wine. Although the hotel does not have its own restaurant a staff member went shopping especially and went to great pains to let my mother know it was taken care of. The hotel is located in Blackfriars: close to St.Paul's Cathedral, a couple of blocks from Fleet Street with its historic pubs and a quick walk across the bridge to the South Bank with the New Tate, London Eye and New Globe. While there is not much going on at night in the immediate neighbourhood, there is a historic pub across the street and the tube is only a block away. If you go the South Bank, don't miss Borough Market: wandering around is a nice change of pace from visiting historic London and the galleries. While London pub food is pretty much the same everywhere you go, and seems to be, for the most part, brought in and microwaved, it's worth trying gastropubs-- which offer ultra-modern takes on traditional British grub. One we highly recommend is the Anchor and Hope in Waterloo.

• Liked — Comfort and service
  • Disliked — Bed a bit unyielding.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
franck_hesse, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 10, 2008
Dear "vickio",

Thank you for taking your time to post a review on tripadvisor about your last stay. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay very much. It was a pleasure reading about our staff going the extra mile to assist you by shopping for wine as a gift. I was surprised you wrote we don't have any restaurant, however believe you meant "shop" as the hotel features 2 great restaurants. Refettorio with its award winning Italian cuisine and Spicers, which serves great British food.

I'm sorry to hear you found the bedding too hard. We are committed to provide the best sleep and rest in London and I'm sure you will be pleased to hear that we are planning to implement the "Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage Programme" later in the year. This consists of luxurios bedding, matress topping and a great choice of pillows - you'll surely find one of your choice.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

We stayed here for two nights and have to say - from the very quick check in to the fabulous concierge service and the superb Club Lounge facilities (for those who have paid a little more!!) everything was faultless.

We booked a Club Room on the Club Floor/Executive floor and found it very comfortable. Room service was also very quick and well received after a few vinos round the City!!

Overall I would highly recommend the Hotel for business users and couples alike.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
franck_hesse, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 3, 2008
Thank you very much for taking your time and filling out a review about the Crowne Plaza London - The City.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay very much with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

Stayed at the Crown Plaza The City during 4 days city trip.
When looking for a high class hotel that is reasonably priced during the weekend, (travel agent deal, 3 days for 2) and not too far from the center I was happily surprised with this hotel. Beautiful room, well equiped, brand clean and nice bathroom with ... at last, normal water pressure in the shower !
Nice personal at check in. Took about 5 minutes to check us in.
Bed (kingsize) was extremely soft, liked that very much, coffee and tea facilties in the room, good (large) TV.
In the morning the breakfast was very good, typical English breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, toast, marmelade...liked that to !
Not used to use the tube (metro) I learn'd it in 5 minutes !
After then, we had several rides with the tube to every place we had planned to visit, perfect system !!!
London itself, all this, and...not to forget, only 30 meters from tube station Blackfriars made our London citytrip unforgettable !
Already booked a new stay early September this year, hope I will encounter the same service.
Only one minor : highly priced hotel restaurants.

• Liked — Quality and service
  • Disliked — prices for diner
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
franck_hesse, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, April 30, 2008
Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay with us and for demonstrating your vote of confidence by booking your return stay in autumn.

I am sorry to hear you feel our restaurant prices are slightly high, however I'm sure you enjoyed the food and service in Refettorio, our award winning Italian restaurant directed by Michelin Starred Giorgio Locatelli. Please note that we also offer great 3 course menu at a moderate price. Please do not hesitate to request it from our restaurant staff at your next visit.

Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

Booked seven nights through Hotwire at good discount from the rack rate. Received an interior room on the second floor with two double beds. Comfortable bed and linens, good sized bathroom and ample closet and drawer space. Well located near tube station and good fitness facilities. The not so good: some of the staff had limited English language skills.

The booking was for four people as per the booking details confirmed. Checked in with three people and was given a room with two double beds as would be expected for a booking that could accommodate the number of confirmed guests. As it turned out the holiday plans of the fourth person changed and there was only the three of us staying in the room.

On review of the room folio on check out I was advised by the duty manager that there would be a charge of 35.25 pounds per night for the third person in the room as the hotel was only paid by Hotwire for two people in the room.

Even though I presented my written confirmation from Hotwire.com with four guests and a verbal confirmation from Hotwire.com that the booking was for four guests the duty manager was unbending in his resolve to collect the additional person surcharge. He went on to advise that it was my problem not the hotel's and I would have to follow up with Hotwire.

If I had booked through any other opaque booking site ie. Priceline.com I would fully understand the the room was for two people but Hotwire is unique in that up to four people can be confirmed ( the rates and availibility vary with the number of persons booked).

Hotwire has advised that I am to submit the invoice for the additional person surcharge and they will reimburse me. While this is not ideal I am somewhat satisfied that my booking is in part honoured although no effort was made by the hotel itself to resolve the issue.

• Liked — located close to tube station, lobby
  • Disliked — disdain for clients booking at a discount
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bishop Auckland, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Booked on the London marathon package, but in the meantime I had to drop out of the race due to injury, but went ahead with the weekend anyway. As part of the package was a bus to the race start, I told the desk clerk the reason i wouldn't require this. When we came back to the room later, there was an envelope under the door which worried me. However, inside was a lovely card with a message about being sorry i couldn't do the marathon, but hoped I had a great weekend anyway, which I found very touching, and something that the hotel didn't have to do. Overall, after staying here twice, I found this to be probably the best hotel I've stayed at in London (I stay up to 14 nights a year in London on business)-staff are excellent, rooms good to excellent depending on which you get, and overall service excellent.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
franck_hesse, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, April 21, 2008
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your last stay during the marathon weekend with us.

As an official Marathon Partner Hotel, we look forward to seeing you return next year and wish you more luck with the participation in 2009.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

Stayed here for a weekend in April - in a Club studio room
Really great facilities and a huge room with sofa and comfy chair
Smallish bathroom with a mediocre shower

Warm and friendly staff in reception/ breakfast and the Club lounge

Had dinner in the Italian restaurant - SUPERB - an undiscovered gem -

Proper coffee maker in the room and chocolates too

Really really liked it here ( second stay this year)

• Liked — huge bedroom with great facilities (admittedly a studio room)
  • Disliked — Poor water pressure in the shower and not great canapes in the 'Club' Lounge
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
franck_hesse, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, April 17, 2008
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us last weekend and the positive review of our hotel and the Italian restaurant, which I have to admit is a great asset to the hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We are disappointed that you didn’t enjoy the canapee selection in our Club lounge. Please know that we constantly evaluate the offering in our effort to provide a variety of quality food items and have taken your comments serious in order to further improve the selection.

Been to Crowne Plaza London - The City? Share your experiences!