“cosy little stopover in the city!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portobello Gold

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portobello Gold
You added Portobello Gold to your Saves list
95/97 Portobello Road | Notting Hill, London W11 2QB, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #128 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“cosy little stopover in the city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

we arrived at the gold after a busy day in london and it was exactly what we needed! the staff are great, friendly,welcoming and a good laugh. The real ale is great and the steak was exceptional. we were expecting a tiny room after reading the website but it was perfect and had everything we needed for a couple of nights stay, very clean and a comfy bed. the area around the pub was great but after visiting a couple of pubs nearby, we much preferred the atmosphere of the gold. We also thought it was great value. For any future visits to london this is definately the place that we'll stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Llanrhidian, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed in the 4 poster room which was quirky and completely in character with the area. Loved it!
The bar is a "proper" bar with loads of character and characters. The food was good in the evening and I particularly liked breakfast which was a do it yourself affair with a really rustic feel.

Room Tip: Choose the 4 Poster room if it is available
Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I went back tonight to see if the service was not as bad as i thought. It was worse! I arrived at 8.50pm and had to wait until 9.03pm for service. When I asked for oysters at the same time as my drink, I was told the kitchen was closed. I declined the drink but was abused by the barman for not accepting the drink. i only ordered the drink to compliment my oysters. Please, please do not go to this bar. They have a very slick advert, but obviously hate their customers if they do not order to their convenience. By the way, I believe most pubs are cheaper.
Hateful experience TWICE!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was great to see a bar that still kept to its routes with great characters and always a laugh. The staff were always willing to help and atmosphere was great. The rooms were great prices, cosy and recommended for a couple. we stayed for two nights and met some charming and cheerful characters who were never too shy to introduce themselves. We will definitely come back for a visit next time we are there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mahe Island, Seychelles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I did not book Portobello Gold myself, and would not stay in a place like this any more. However, if I were in my early 20's it may be OK. I stayed for four nights.

I stayed in room 3, which was a single room. It was tiny. The width was the same as the length of my double bed, plus a few more centimetres. The 'bathroom' was the pits. It was a little cubby hole in the room. The shower head was above the tiny hand basin, which had separate hot and cold taps. To get to the toilet you have to step over the shower recess.

The room was fairly clean. I went in February when it was still snowing in London and the room was far from warm. I was able to get an extra duvet after my first night, which was good. The bed was surprisingly comfortable.

As these are simply a few rooms above the pub there is no service as such.

I didn't eat the breakfast so can't comment on it. Two of my colleagues had food poisoning from the breakfast, so I am glad that I didn't have any.

I can't understand how accommodation prices are so high in London for little value. One of my colleagues stayed in a room with two beds, which was more spacious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with two beds.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Biel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Really love this charming hotel, the staff are helpful, the bar is great! A really graet atmosphere. The room is small not recommanded for people who are used to luxury hotels, but people who prefere a warm and charming atmosphere, who enjoy good music and nice staff, are ment to go there :-) I have been there two times now and I will go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Want to go to the Portobello Market and not have to fight the crowds? Want a place to have a nice dinner just down the stairs? Don't care that your room is just big enough to fit you, your spouse and a couple of suitcases and your bathroom is just big enough to turn around in? Then this is the place for you.

Portobello Gold is priced right for us and in the right place for us. The staff is always insanely busy, but always helpful and friendly (on the weekends the bar is standing room only (if you can find a place to stand and the restaurant is packed, too). Dinner in the restaurant is very good and breakfast for the hotel guests is more than adequate.

If you are looking for "hotel services", a big breakfast buffet, a concierge, an elevator, and a car park, Portobello Gold is not the place for you. But, if you are looking for a place to stay that is priced right and in the right place, and you are not put off by a few quirks, you will keep coming back to Portobello Gold; we have.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Portobello Gold? Share your experiences!