“Good value, clean, central” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Merlyn Court Hotel

You added Merlyn Court Hotel to your Saves list
Merlyn Court Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   2 Barkston Gardens, London SW5 0EN, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #143 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good value, clean, central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Really pleased! Great location, basic but clean. Cute rooms. Breakfast is a bit rubbish as only toast but for the price can't complain!!! Staff really friendly and helpful. Booked a triple room and we all got our own comfy bed.....no nasty sofa beds!!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
shrewsbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

this hotel seemed to good to be true. its got a great location 5 minutes walk from earls court tube station and easy to find. very nice lady in charge called Lucy. i was in a downstairs room with double bed and en suite. shower was nice and hot and the room was very clean. so no complaints really. i think the only thing they should add is a TV. its the only hotel i have stayed in that does not have one and they don't cost much nowadays. i missed breakfast both mornings i stayed so cannot add anything on that subject. however there are loads of pubs in the vicinity that all do breakfasts. all in all its an excellent place to stay for those on a budget. i paid £50 a night so i think its very good, just needs a TV to improve.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

You may be a bit disappointed when you fist get in. But you may later understand that this hotel indeed offers you value for money. The house is old and the ceilings are high, adding to the comfort of your stay. Despite humble interior, Merlyn Court has all basic amenities, is clean and is conveniently located. Earl’s Court underground is only 5 min away. Kensington Gardens & Hyde Park, Royal Albert Hall, Victoria and Albert Museum are also within walking distance (~20 min). At least two good pubs and a few groceries are located in the Earl’s Court Road nearby. The staff is friendly and offers very simple breakfast in the lower ground floor. For me, major inconvenience was one bathroom per floor (i.e. three guest rooms).

K.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very clean. Wifi only works on the ground floor (this was not mentioned when I booked - it only said free wifi). The ground floor single room is very noisy - right next to the main door, so you hear the door each time it is shut, forget a good night's sleep). Very basic breakfast - just toast and weak tea / coffee.

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I've been to this place twice. The second time was quite disappointing. Not only was the room smaller, but I found on its desk a long list of "don'ts" I hadn't seen during my first stay: one of the points included that I not leave the towel on the floor (why should that happen?) and be economical with water and light (that's also my attitude when at home, so why do I need to be told this?). It made me feel not like a 37-year-old guest in a hotel, but rather like a teenage pupil in a boarding school. Next time I won't forget my passport for registration (as a final-year research student based in the U.K., I had felt it unnecessary to bring it along with me) so that people at the hotel can address me according to my age. For £49 (standard single room) I would expect at least some tea-and-coffee-making facilities in the room and a richer and more balanced breakfast.

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I thoroughly liked Merlyn Court hotel. My single room was spotless. It was a single twin bed with a sink. Must better than what I was expecting. The toilet & shower were just a few stairs away, but also very clean. The hotel kept everything clean which is very important to me. I'm out all day long, so I don't need the amenities. I stayed for two nights, and i only ate breakfast there once which was just tea & toast. They provided towels as long as you keep them hung when you were done. The building is very old, so you have to expect the creaking floors and noisy door locks...I really tried to be as quiet as I could, but those door locks would just make a load click. I felt very safe. They even cleaned my room the next day too. Lucy and Maddie were very helpful and friendly. I would recommend staying at the hotel for little amenities. They said they had internet, but I didn't use it because I couldn't find it on my floor. Again, I am pretty much there for a nice hot shower, and a bed to lay out, so it was still find with me. Always went down to a cafe with internet if I needed it.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

On our first trip to London for many years we were naievly hoping for value for money. Unfortunately we were disappointed with this hotel. Though the staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean, the beds were uncomfortable and the breakfasts were very sparse. (Tea and coffee with thin white bread toast and marmalade-no choices). Over our 7 week trip this was one of the worst places in terms of value for money. The fact that there was no TV and no wifi was also disappointing- even though this was a budget hotel these facilities should have been provided. There is also no fire escape apart from the main staircase which might put off some people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Merlyn Court Hotel? Share your experiences!