“Lovely modern hotel with small rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel London ExCeL

Save Saved
You added Novotel London ExCeL to your Saves list
Novotel London ExCeL
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Western Gateway, London E16 1AA, England (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 30% OFF
Ranked #270 of 1,069 hotels in London
Falkirk,Scotland
“Lovely modern hotel with small rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The location is great with DLR serving it well. We have a "family" room for three and it could not be smaller. There is a bathroom/shower room with separate toilet( no sink) and very little storage. The price for breakfast is £10 each so that is good value. Our room was just over £80 per night so £110 is not bad! Spending lots of money on good food in central London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience online following your stay at the Novotel London ExCeL.

I am happy to see that you found our rooms and breakfast a good value for money and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

1,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
Halesowen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed overnight whilst attending a convention at the Excel. Usual Novotel set up and facilities. Comfortable, clean room, decent bar area and usual decent breakfast selection. Main benefit is its proximity to the Excel. It may not be the cheapest (depends when you book) but it is only a two minute walk from the Excel entrance. Didn't have too much contact with the staff but seemed polite and efficient. Perhaps it's a good sign that I didn't need to? Bars, cafes restaurants and a small Tesco within 5 minutes walk. Would use it again if visiting the Excel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
I would like to thank you for posting a review following your stay at the Novotel London ExCeL.

It is a pleasure to see that you found our room comfortable and clean and that you would use us in the future when visiting ExCeL.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Not the first time I have stayed here, but will be my last!.....the quality of service and customer facing skills is just poor, to pure rude. Three nights running my key card didnt work in my room, and on the third night couldnt be opened by three new keys and the two master keys brought by the member of staff.
I was shocked by the rudeness of the Bar Manager, not just to me, but to others around me...he should learn some people skills from the two female bar floor staff who were excellent.
The restaurant was like a morgue....no atmosphere, and really poor quality food....my main course was just bland.....over cooked, over salted and executed with no presentation skills at all.
My room was ok, but found items from the previous occupant still in my room....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your subsequent feedback regarding your stay with us. I was very concerned to see that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies.

Please stay reassured that your experience is not a true reflection of the services we pride ourselves on providing at Novotel London ExCeL. Your comments have been shared already with the relevant departments to avoid any future occurrence.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at the Novotel end of October 2012 to 2nd November, it was a 5 day stay, business trip for me and a sightseeing trip for my partner and our 11 year old son. Unfortunately we experienced significant problems during check-in which led to my partner's credit cards (2) being declined and him being unable to use them until Monday late afternoon. When I spoke to Charlene at reception regarding the mistake they made which resulted in the two cards not being usable and us feeling humiliated when they were declined at the Chinese restaurant nearby, her response was to try and qualify their actions. When I tried to draw her attention to the fact that I am a seasoned traveller and it is usual practice for hotels to swipe a credit card so that you can charge drinks at bar to your room but it is not standard practice for them to attempt to withdraw a notably large sum of money from your card without consultation she persisted that was usual practice? They did make the telephone available to my partner so that he could rectify the situation but it meant that he and my son lost a days' sightseeing plus I was worrying about them when I should have been focusing on business. That evening I asked Charlene if, as a gesture of good will and for us as a family to close the day on a good note, we could have a free movie. She clearly did not want to do this and never got back to us. I often advice people to try and fix problems as they occur rather than complain later; so following my own advice I did go down and ask to see a manager on Wednesday night, I was told the manager was Charlene and she refused to see me?? I did say I was hugely disappointed what I was extremely pleased about however was that Mr Batista was keen to understand the situation and to see if we could find a happy medium. Thank you Mr Batsista for caring. A simple sorry from Charlene in the first instance would have gone a long way.

Mark Hardy is no longer at the Novotel Excel and whilst I feel that there are a number of staff that support Mr Batista I did feel that there were some staff that to some degree were undermining him. He did make me feel like a valued customer and genuinely wanted to know why I was upset. I think he has excellent managerial skills and a kindly, considerate caring approach with residents. I would most certainly stay at the Novotel with him at the helm.

Check in problems aside, with regards to other aspects of our stay, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, we slept well through out our stay. I made some requests before setting off to London and was pleased that those requests had been actioned ie duvet for my son rather than blankets, extra pillows, red and white wine glasses in the room and an ice bucket. I also asked to be on a floor which had an ice machine which was what I received. The breakfast selection is very good, full English, American waffles or pancakes, extensive continental breakfast, etc. we were particularly impressed with Jolanta for her thoughtfulness and attentiveness. We were also impressed with Tutkute.
Two other people I would like to give a special mention to are Giovanna Della Volpe and Zakir Hussain. Mr Hussain was an absolute star, I was able to leave a bottle of white wine with him in the morning and it would be perfectly chilled for me in the evening. I love the contemporary bar at the Novotel, my partner and I will return after a long day out and have a drink whilst we contemplate what/where to dine in the evening, my son loves the free use of the internet and the Xbox and feels special at the Novotel. It is a 12 minute walk to Canning Town tube or 4 minute walk to the DLR. There is a Tesco Express and a Nisa within sight of the hotel and the views are amazing, there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby however I would like to give a special mention to the restaurant at the Novotel, I had the children's carbonara because I was not feeling particularly hungry and it was amazing. I felt the food was reasonably priced and the wine selection was good, I would eat there again as the dishes were well executed and the staff were very attentive. Would I return again? Absolutely, but only because Mr Batista was bothered that poor communication potentially led to our initial problems and affected our first day and a half stay. So my advice again is if something is troubling you raise it with staff at the time and give them an opportunity to resolve the issue. It has taken me some time to write this review because I had mixed feelings but on reflection and because we are considering re-booking at the Novotel I knew that ultimately we did have a very good stay and I would like to say a very big thank you to Mr Daniel Batista.

Room Tip: I like a room with a view of the river and the Excel centre and to be on a floor with an ice machine
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
OperationsManager_9, Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your most recent stay at Novotel London ExCeL.

We are delighted with the good comments on our products and services; and, especially with the mention on the service attitudes of our team. Jolanta, Zakir and Giuliana are overjoyed.

I am glad that despite the issues experienced, you enjoyed your stay and will be returning to Novotel ExCeL. In a hotel of this size and level of business, it is inevitable that things will not go as they should every time, but when they do happen, we do everything we can to rectify. After all, caring for our guests is the main purpose of our business. And for your understanding, we thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel London ExCeL in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Novotel as a last minute family excursion to London for the boat show and I couldn’t praise the staff and hotel higher. Whilst the rooms were average in size and decor, they were extremely clean and well presented. The breakfast was delicious and the staff were fantastic, to top it all off it is literally a 3 yr olds stones throw from the Exce, superl! See you all there next yr!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment!

I really appreciated that you are taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you rated us with 5 stars and that we will have the pleasure to see you next year.

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have regularly visited and loved the Greenwich Novotel and so when that was fully booked I checked into the Excel branch.

I was bitterly disappointed. The bath had some old bath gel and shaver deposit (hair stubble) on the side, the cushions on the bed were stained with white smudges and when I ordered room service and the tray had old food on it (large crumbs which should have been spotted if not cleaned).

The room was generally grubby and the room next to me, adjoined by a two way door, was full of noisy drunk boys even though I specifically requested a quiet room as I was ill.

In all fairness to them, they moved my to a different floor.

I wouldn't return because, noise aside (this can happen anywhere), I won't pay £100 to sleep in a room that is dirtier than my own at home. They need to consider the management of this particular hotel as this is usually where the problem lies.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere or request an extra clean upon your arrival.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
OperationsManager_9, Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We are sincerely sorry that your experience at ExCeL did not match the one you usually have when staying at Novotel hotels, in particularly Novotel Greenwich.

The issues you encountered are not in line with the services we pride ourselves to offer, so we will be addresing those with the relevant departments to ensure the same does not occur to other guests.

Thank you for sharing your comments with us; and our sincere apologies for the faults.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Ideal base for visiting the excel arena (it is THE closest to the arena in docklands). Facilities are basic & rooms were a little dated. Be sure to get a good deal online. We also booked breakfast, this was excellent value for money & sets you up well for a long day at exhibitions. service was ok in the restaurant but dreadful on reception. They clearly run this place on a skeletal staff. We faced a Long wait to check in/get keycards fixed/book breakfast/gym access. And forget about anyone answering the front desk phone....!
Good to note: the DLR train is nearby & can take you to the wonderful westfield stratford shopping station in less than 15mins.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comment online after your stay at the Novotel London ExCeL.
I was disappointed to read that your stay did not fully meet your expectations.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your disappointment concerning the service received at the Front Desk. Every day, we are making sure that at least 3 people are present at reception to ensure the satisfaction of our guests. I am sorry if on this occasion we failed to provide the level of service expected.

I was glad to read that you found the location of our hotel suitable for your needs as we are very close to the ExCeL centre and to the DLR station.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to better serve you this time.

Novotel London ExCeL

Been to Novotel London ExCeL? Share your experiences!