“Five star service, Four star location, 1 star room, Five star price” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley London

You added The Bentley London to your Saves list
The Bentley London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 - 33 Harrington Gardens, London SW7 4JX, England (Earls Court)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #175 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Seattle
“Five star service, Four star location, 1 star room, Five star price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed for six nights from the 24th through 30th of Dec in a Jr. Suite Room. We stayed on points 5 nights, and paid for one ($720 for the one night).

I really wanted to give this place a three or four star rating. But comparing the price (expensive) with the “5-Star” hotel classification and the accommodations, I found it just too far out of line.

SERVICE. It was always great and the best thing about the hotel. Always greeted when we came in and out; service to the room when requested, always prompt, very friendly, very professional and warm. Didn’t have food, but coffee and other requests for the room always politely, quickly cared for. Room cleaning always done early. Five star service all the way.

LOCATION. South Kensington/Knightsbridge is fine – near the park, nice neighborhoods to walk in, quiet street – very near Harrods and Harvie-Nichols, close to the Tube and buses. Several nearby restaurants and pubs. It’s not as central as Mayfair, but the Tube was quick and easy, and taxi’s quick as well. I’d prefer a little closer in on my next trip, and if you want to be closer to the thick of things, I’d recommend Mayfair. The location was still fine however.

ROOMS. The rooms are not 5 Star. No. Positive: the Décor is very ‘English fancy’ and traditional in style – which is nice, and the room size very generous. Negative: Our furniture didn’t fit the room, lighting was awful - not enough, three small room lamps in a large room, and a chandelier that hung off of a 7.5’ foot ceiling. It looked so out of place, and you couldn’t walk under of course. The “King” bed was actually two twins together. Initially the bed had separate ‘twin’ comforters. We had these replaced with a King comforter. Two lamps blew while there – fixed quickly on request by the great service. Wall trim molding was broken or water damaged in the bathroom – no touchups anywhere, and the marble trim molding hasn’t been dusted or cleaned – maybe never. The “Grand” Feeling of the décor was mitigated by normal height ceilings, poor room maintenance, and abysmal furniture size selection and layout design.

Given a choice, the poor room accommodations and very high price point, and 5-Star class – I would select something else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are always very interested in everything our guests have to say about The Bentley - London.

I was delighted to read that you were bowled over by our service. The delivery of service is one of the most important areas in any hotel & we pride ourselves on having the highest standards.
The Bentley - London is a Waldorf Astoria hotel & all of the team are dedicated to delivering impeccable service at all times to our valued guests.

I was disappointed that your bedroom was not as it should have been & we are constantly looking at ways to improve our producy. At the moment we are improving the facilities available to our guests in our bedrooms as we strive to advance our product.

It does appear that this particular room was clearly not of the standard we would expect to deliver here at The Bentley - London & part of our daily routine is to identify areas of the hotel that we can improve & act upon that.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future & I would be delighted if you contacted me directly in order to personalise your reservation.

Regards,

Paul Kennedy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed over our American Thanksgiving week and the hotel did not seem overly booked so we felt that we had the most magnificent. town home in the posh area of London with our own private staff. While everyone was great--Zoltan, Emmy, front desk people--it was Mario, the concierge, who took care of us royally. We were treated as if we were the only guests there.

We arrived early from the States, so our room wasn't ready for an hour or two--we just stored our luggage and explored the neighborhood.; the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert were nearby. When they did assign our room, it was an upgrade to an Asburn suite which meant it was a small 4 room apartment. Powder room off the separate living room; King bedroom; Marbled bath with jacuzzi tub and separate shower (.with wonderful Agraria amenities). There was also a huge walk-in closet with shelves, built in drawers, a safe and enough room for all our things, we used it as our dressing room which kept everything else neat.

Since I didn't want to drag my laptop on this trip, I was especially pleased with the availability of internet access (with printer) in the lobby. It was always accessible and filled all my internet needs for a leisure trip.

My only complaint was that our bed was not a "Hilton bed"--the mattress was lacking but management topped it off for me so it was fine for week. Room service was always prompt for ice or whatever. Coffee service was set up in the room and replenished each day so we could enjoy coffee while dressing.

Neighborhood was grand, Gloucester Road tube station super convenient to everywhere--less than 5 minute walk from the Bentley. Best meal we had in London was at the Bombay Brasserie in the Millennium Hotel directly across from the G. tube station---very upscale Indian cuisine. We didn't eat in the hotel because we had too many other places to check out.

We are Hilton Honors Diamonds so we basically experienced this wonderful place on free nights and points---but I would pay to stay there--it was that special. I am so glad that Hilton has affiliated themselves with such wonderful Waldorf properties in its collection. This hotel made London for me!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

The team at The Bentley were delighted to read such positive comments regarding your stay & we are absolutely thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

We are dedicated to ensuring that all of our guests have a wonderful stay & it is reassuring to receive delightful comments such as this.

I have shared your review with the whole team & we are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Bentley in the near future.

Regards,

Paul Kennedy
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

On a surprise weekend trip to London my boyfriend and I stayed at the Bentley for 4 nights. The staff were excellent, very accomodating, the room was of an excellent size (although could do with a few touch ups here and there) and the location while not in "downtown" is superb! the Tube stop is very near by at a 7 minute walk and there are some great bars and restaurants near by too. South Kensington is a gorgeous suburb of London and if you do stay here I recommend a wonderful Spanish Tapas restaurant nearby called Tendido Cero!

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

We were using Hilton points for our 4 night stay and based on reviews, tried to get into either Canary Warf or Tower Hilton. Neither had availability for using points. We looked further down the list and found that The Bentley was available. It's a little lower on the review list, but I don't know why.
We checked in rather late in the evening and Paula showed us to our room (upgraded suite) and gave us instructions for bath, clock, lights, temperature, ect. Zoltan brought our bags up a moment later. When we found that our power converter was missing, Zoltan brought one up right away.
The room is big, with a nice king size bed. We had a corner suite so the view unfortunately was of a brick building next door, but it looked like most of the rooms would have a nicer view.
The bathroom is beautiful, with a sit down vanity, large jacuzzi tub and separate shower. Included the first night on the bath, were some bath salts.
We had free high speed internet, but only because we were Hilton gold members. Otherwise it looked like there was a charge.
The staff was always attentive, opening doors, taking care of requests, lending out an umbrella when needed. Paula, in particular, was over the top great!
One little disappointment was that we had informed the hotel when booking that it was our Anniversary and nothing special was done. No big deal.
It's a beautiful building in a great neighborhood. It is 2 blocks (1 up and 1 over) to the Glocester Road tube station, which connects to practically anywhere we wanted to go within a few stops, The other 2 Hiltons would have been a bit of a ride to get to the sites. There are nice restaurants 1 block away (Black and Blu has excellent steaks, and a coffee shop right across the street from that has great breakfasts.
We never tried the restaurant, but did have a drink the first night in the "lobby". Would have loved to try the spa facilities, but were too busy with other fun things.
One thing to be aware of is that the taxi service they use if you need one for the airport, is a private one. The arrangements seemed slightly "schmarmy", and the driver talked in a foreign language on his cell phone the entire way, but we didn't have too bad an experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

Stayed at the Bentley while in London for 2 weeks for work. I tried the Hilton Green Park, Hilton Metropole, and finally the Bentley. As we all know, Location, Location, Location.

Hotel room was fantastic. Much larger than you normally get in Europe. Bathroom with standing shower and tub were major pluses. As a US citizen I didn't feel like I was being squeezed into a Coke Bottle for the room.

The service has been good so far. I think they could upgrade the check in process because it took a little while to get us checked in but all in all they were very courteous.

Tons of great restaurants all in 2 blocks or less. Really enjoyed the Italian place on the corner. I even tried the casino across the street, it was small but a exactly what I was looking for when I had some spare time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Very nice hotel, which is near Gloucester Road tube station. Room was very nice and typical for a "english" room. Can not review breakfast because it was not included in our room rate. But outside the hotel were plenty of good possibilities to have a good breakfast.
Beds were very comfortable and altough we were on the "street"-side we were not interupted in our sleep by the street noise.
Spa treatment was very good and in a private atmosphere.
If you can book the hotel for a good price it's worth it.

NYC / London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights. This place is stunning - very regal. Being a gold member they bumped me up to what can only be described as an apartment. Location is fantastic, tube near by, pubs, nice restaurants, got it all! Staff were also brilliant.

Only thing is missing is free wireless internet. I found myself tethered to the desk.. kind of annoying for a business traveler. Other than that.. perfect!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Bentley London? Share your experiences!