“So much potential but failed to deliver” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley London

You added The Bentley London to your Saves list
The Bentley London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 - 33 Harrington Gardens, London SW7 4JX, England (Earls Court)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #172 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Bristol, United Kingdom
“So much potential but failed to deliver”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Beautiful hotel but fell a long way short of a five start service.

- The furniture in the room was beautiful but poorly maintained. On pulling out the chair at writing bureau, I was shocked that the writing service was resting on the chair for support and was unable to function as a desk without this support. Not only did it not function as a desk, it could cause an injury (I have a video which unfortunately I can't attach).

- Very disappointed that internet access is chargeable - I have stayed at London hotels which are a fraction of the price, but have free internet access.

- The TV reception was terrible and the remote control poorly responsive so it was very difficult to change channel.

- I was staying at the The Bentley with my mother who is coeliac. After a tiring day, we decided to order room service. When ordering, she made it clear that she was coeliac and could not eat gluten. She asked whether the hotel had any gluten free bread or crackers and if so, she would like cheese and crackers. The member of staff taking the order advised they would check. Rather than advising my mother that there was no gluten-free bread/ crackers in the hotel (poor in itself for any hotel, especially a 5*) to discuss alternatives, she was sent a plate of cheese with nothing to accompany it.

- Additionally, despite there having been a 12.5% service charge PLUS a 'tray charge', the member of staff delivering the meal expectantly waited for a tip.

- Our room had a large bath and while there was soap/ shower get, there were no toiletries appropriate for use in a bath. On calling reception, the initial response was "you can put what ever you like in the bath" and on handing the phone to a colleague, we were told they would send some bubble bath up. Some time later, a gentleman arrived with more shower gel stating that they do not stock bubble bath - not what you expect from a large 5 star London hotels with baths in the rooms!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
The Bentley Lon... T, Executive Assistant at The Bentley London, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear emkjenk,

Please let me apologise for your experience with regards to the room condition and room service. I have addressed the issues and shared your constructive feedback with our Head Housekeeper, Restaurant Manager and Maintenance Manager who are aware of the situation and join me in apologising for the disappointment caused to you on this occasion, albeit it is very rare that we receive negative comments on the quality of our rooms and I was sincerely disappointed to hear about your experience.

Relating to your comments for the internet, I will of course share your feedback with our Heads of Department. We do however keep our internet prices in line with other 5 star Hotels and as such aim to provide a competitive service.

I understand that the stay was not up to your expectations on this occasion but I want to assure you that this is not indicative of the usual standards that we provide.

Please let me apologise one more time and take this opportunity to say that I and the Team hope the above issues would not deter you from visiting our hotel again and that you will give us an opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel sometime in the near future.

Miriam Rodrigues

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
Merthyr Tydfil County, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Booked here as it was a reasonable price for a four star hotel ; and as Wimbledon is on , prices have tripled this week
A grand looking hotel although a little dated suits the building .
A quick check in , and our room was ready at 12.30. Room extremely clean , and a good decent size for London . Bed very comfortable , noise level was low as we were situated over looking garden at the back of the hotel .
Breakfast is a quiet affair , a small selection of pastries, rolls , cheese & ham that looked as though it had seen better days : although this was 10.30am!. Eggs cooked to order with a small selection of other items in Bain Marie to serve yourself . Cheap looking yogurts ! For what we paid it was fine although it took an eternity to get toast , tea and coffee brought to our table . There were 10 customers & 4 staff ! A really good location just 5 min walk from Glouster road tube station .
Worth giving this hotels a go .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Bentley Lon... T, Executive Assistant at The Bentley London, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Pancake 2012,

Thank you for your sincere feedback regarding your stay with us. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your nice comments.

It is true that the hotel offers a quiet location and spacious rooms.

Please let me also apologise for your experience with regards to the breakfast. I have addressed the issues and shared your constructive feedback with our Restaurant Manager.

I hope you will give us many more opportunities in the future to extend our hospitality.

Miriam Rodrigues
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Having booked for afternoon tea at The Bentley, and reading one of the reviews! we thought we would give them the benefit of the doubt. We are so glad we did, firstly what a beautiful hotel, secondly we arrived a little early and were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who showed us to a beautiful room where the tea was to take place, we were given the choice of tables and two cold glasses of champagne (Moet & Chandon) I told the waitress I was a vegetarian and could we have a few extra vegetarian sandwiches We were served plenty of fresh sandwiches on two seperate plates (one vegi and one with smoked salmon and hams). and a large pot of freshly brewed tea (of our choice) - poured out for us and then we were left to eat our sandwiches at leisure (apart from asking if everything was alright and giving us a fresh pot of tea). We also had a two tier cake stand with delicious cakes and another plate with fresh scones and cream and jam. At no time did we feel rushed, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. There were a few others having tea also, but the tables were spaced out and not on top of each other, it was a very lovely afternoon tea altogether! The waitress was very efficient and attentive (at a discrete distance) as was the Head Waitress It was nothing like the derogatory review from one of the other reviewers. So take no notice and if you would like a delicious afternoon tea in a beautiful tranquil setting you won't go far wrong by choosing The Bentley

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Bentley Lon... T, Operations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear fiftyishbutstillcool,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to The Bentley-" A hidden jewel ". May I firstly, thank you for giving us the opportunity to have your afternoon tea at The Bentley.

It is equally good to hear that you showed your trust in us against few of the other reviews. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the overall experience and specially our hospitality, which is certainly the best among many five star hotels in London.

I hope this will visit will further encourage you to come back and enjoy the best of the hospitality we have to offer and take advantage of many promotions we have in place in conjunction with our lovely spa which has one of the most classical Turkish hammam one can experience within London.

Looking forward to welcome you soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had an absolutely superb time at the Bentley.
Staff were very helpful and attentive. the hotel is very luxurious. They upgraded us to a suite for no extra charge. very close to all restaurants in Kensington, and centrally located. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
The Bentley Lon... T, Operations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Karin m,

Thank You for your review regarding your recent visit to the Bentley. I am most happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we really appreciate your compliments regarding the service you received from the entire team.

We will be looking forward to welcome you back.

Kind Regards
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Afternoon tea at The Bentley was a delightful indulgence before our visit to the Shard.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The restaurant was very clean and beautifully furnished.
I would definitely recommend Afternoon Tea here.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear nicky14london,

Thank You for your review regarding your recent visit to The Bentley. I am most delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit and specially our most famous afternoon tea.

We hope that you will visit us more often in the future.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We just loved our stay at the Bentley. The staff were so attentive and we were so surprised to find a Birthday dessert for my wife on one of the evenings in our room which was a lovely touch. The room itself was extremely comfortable, luxurious and so quiet. We were a little disappointed at the price of wifi in the room.
Having said that we will be going back to the Bentley for our next London trip!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Bentley Lon... A, Operations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear peadarob,

Thank you for review regarding your recent visit to The Bentley. I am most happy to see that you have given us highest rating on all the areas which is a clear reflection of the hospitality you received.

I have also taken a note of your comments regarding the internet price and can assure you that we will give a due consideration to it.

Once again, thank you for all your kind words and we will be looking forward to welcome you back.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I haven't written a hotel review before but felt I had to share the fact that this hotel exceeded all expectations in terms of location and accessibility, decor and standards and staff. I hope I haven't scuppered my chances of a room in the future!

The only reason that I haven't commented on the pool or breakfast is that I didn't have time for either - but on the basis of my experience of all else I would have no reason to expect them to be first rate.

Well done Mr Manager & well done staff - unfailingly polite, smiling and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear SueCloud9,

Firstly, many thanks for writing a review about your recent stay at The Bentley. It is especially good to see this review since it is your first and additionally because you received an excellent service, which has motivated you to share your experience.

We at The Bentley are proud to offer one of the best services within the five star hotels in London.I will insist that you should try our afternoon tea or may be a lunch or dinner not forgetting our wonderful spa facilities in your next visit.

Moreover, the hotel is located in one of the peaceful areas of the city and offers a great connectivity to major tourist attractions, public transport, shopping centers which I am sure you had experienced.

May I also assure you that we will be looking forward to welcome you back in the future and I will be most happy if you may contact me directly for any assistance you may need.

Operations Manager

Been to The Bentley London? Share your experiences!