“Lovely Hotel. Perhaps more 4* than 5*” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley London

You added The Bentley London to your Saves list
The Bentley London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 - 33 Harrington Gardens, London SW7 4JX, England (Earls Court)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #173 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel. Perhaps more 4* than 5*”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for my partners birthday. Very elegant place with a very grand feel.

The bedroom was amazing and the bathroom very spacious with a jacuzzi bath. However, overall I felt asthough this was more of a 4* than a 5*. My reasons are, there was damp all over the window seal giving the room an ever so slight damp smell. Also there were a few stains on our wall. Little things like this shouldn't really be present in a 5* Hotel as you are paying for excellence! Nonetheless we had an amazing time and the reception staff were very helpful in calling taxis for us etc. As it was my partners birthday they laid out a fruit and chocolate platter in our hotel room which was a very nice touch.

Would stay again but would probably try out elsewhere first.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
The Bentley Lon... A, Guest Relations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Bentley London A Hilton Hotel.

It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide superior service and hospitality are being represented our team. These positive comments about our team are greatly appreciated and I have thanked them personally.

We would like the opportunity to welcome you back again. Given such an opportunity, I should be most grateful if you would contact me directly so that I can personally take care of your reservation and ensure the hospitality you would expect from The Bentley London, A Hilton Hotel.

The Bentley London, A Hilton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

In a country where is is the law that VAT has to be included in retail prices, and where as a citizen of such I always assume that VAT is included, we were surprised at checkout to have VAT added as an additional charge to the inclusive rate quoted over the phone.

Having stayed at the Bentley on many occasions prior to it being taken over by the Hilton Group, our bills were bang in line with the quoted deal rates.

It seems that the Hilton Group has some how got around this requirement and to my mind there can only be one reason why they have adopted this American practise in the UK. To make their rates appear less expensive.

Providing you get an upgrade deal, this hotel represents excellent value for money - pity about the American practise of adding tax at the point of sale.

Room Tip: Ask for a deal on a junior suite and get it in writing! Big difference between lowest and middle rat...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

It's welcome change to get a proper room key instead of one of those plastic things that malfunctions when it gets within 100m of a mobile phone.
Stayed one night mid week. Was very quiet. Small hotel feel to it. No formal reception desk. Very friendly welcome.
Short walk to the tube.
Room I had was much larger than most of the other Hiltons in London I have stayed at - bathroom well equipped. All clean etc so no issues.
As some reviews have noted, the hotel is not a modern one and yes, some updating and refreshment could be done in places but there's plenty of modern alternatives in London if that's what you want. If you're looking for something smaller and more personal in this part of London, this is a good choice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Arriving after travelling for 45 hours from a on-site client visit in Russia, I was not thrilled that there was no doorman, and so I had to push the door open myself (with two very heavy bags), after which someone came over to help - but a little late!
Being OCD about cleanliness, I have requested that when I stay at the Hilton they provide me with extra hand and bath towels, as well as additional soap, as I never re-use anything due to my illness. Naturally this is rather embarrasing to explain constantly to hotels, so I've requested the Hilton chain to put information into my profile about this, and at every other hotel I have stayed there have been the requested extra amenities on arrival. Unfortunately, this stay began with a disappointing conversation with the duty manager, explaining what I wanted (and also being asked a little aggressively about why I wanted them!) After about 3/4 of an hour, these items were eventually provided.
Unfortunately, that brings me to the next issue, which was that the additional tea which I have also asked to Hilton to place in my profile wasn't there (I'm an avid tea drinker, nothing more) and so again a request needed to be made to the front desk, and eventually this was sent up. Ditto with my profile request to only receive complimentary sparkling, not still, water - but it did eventually arrive.
The room was of a perfectly decent size, and the bathroom very nice, with a great shower cubicle as well. The bath siding, however, was disgusting, with cracks, paint chippings, chipped wood veneer, panelling actually coming away, and water taps which moved so much when one attempted to turn them on that one was never quite sure if one had just rattled the fitting or actually managed to turn on the desired tap! I didn't experience this room for long, however as, unfortunately, when I flushed the toilet, the handle came off in my hand! After calling down to the duty manager (for the n-th time in an hour) he arrived at my room, to explain that there was no available maintenance support that evening to fix the toilet, so they would need to move me to another room. And so I was moved to an upgraded room (which also had rather shabby bath panelling, this time with what looked like water marks down the middle of it!) This room was a really excellent size, although the bathroom seemed smaller. The bed was very comfortable, but unfortunately the in-room internet and movie services, however, seemed to be broken because they kept re-setting every 30 minutes or so, and I and my partner (who was only visiting for a couple of hours, as we were both passing through London on business) finally became tired to turning back to the TV channels and internet, and just gave up.
Throughout all of this, NOT ONCE did anyone apologise for the poor service, the lack of pre-requested amenities (towels, soap, tea) or the inconvenience of moving rooms because they don't bother to keep full-time maintenance staff on hand. There were none of the usual Hilton feedback forms, otherwise I would've told them exactly what I thought of them - they boast of being one of the best kept secrets in London, but after enduring a one night stay, I can only imagine that the best kept secret is actually how disappointing a place it is to stay, and how disinterested and unapologetic their staff are towards guests. As an example, I requested late check-out at 1430, to enable me to attend church, and then lunch with a friend, but was told that 1400 was the latest complimentary check-out time. (Wouldn't you think that after messing you around and having to move your room in the middle of the night because of defective bathroom fittings, they could manage to arrange a 30 minute extension to their customary policy??)
I normally stay at Hiltons with my partner, who is a diamond member of their reward program, so that might be the reason for the far superior customer service which we've received at the London Waldorf, Green Park and Park Lane Hiltons, but quite frankly I wouldn't treat a one-time guest at an Holiday Inn this way myself. (Fortunately, the company I run arranges high end travel for American surgeons and dentists attending group events and conferences in the UK, so I shall have the last laugh over their poor customer care and lack of attention to detail, as I shall ensure all our London accomodation requirements are met outside of this property!)
Really a disappointing stay, and I would actually go so far as to say that it was unpleasant, as there was not one single really positive element to this stay. I've certainly never had such an awful experience at an hotel branded by the Hilton corporation anywhere in the world, and for anyone needing to stay in the area I would suggest the Millenium or even the Holiday Inn about the Bentley Hotel. It certainly confirmed for me, albeit much more intensely than I've ever experienced before, why I choose Starwood and Mandarin over Hilton whenever I'm traveling by myself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Petersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This is a lovely hotel that is equipped to superb standards. The rooms are luxurious, spacious and well equipped. The staff were friendly, helpful and actually looked like they enjoy their job. The location is peaceful, but only 2 minutes walk from the tube station and 10 minutes from the Museums. A real hidden gem and you should not be put off by its location. It is only a short tube ride to the west end.

Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read all of your positive comments about us and it truly is very rewarding for the team to see that you enjoyed your stay.

We are all fully committed to ensure that our service and product are second to none. I do hope that we can expect to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my cousin for a couple of nights in September, we were attending a wedding in Chiswick. Great location, close to transportation, cafes, restaurants and shops. Hotel room very luxurious & clean. Hotel staff very professional, helpful & pleasant.
Didn't partake in the hotels restaurants or bars. Would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Excellent location
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I used my honors reward points for this stay, and am glad I did, as I certainly wouldn't pay the room rate being asked compared to the more modern Hiltons and Marriotts in nearby Central London. The location is good if you want to be based in South Kensington which is handy for the Royal Albert Hall, Science, Natural History or V&A museums, but it felt very outdated.

The hotel was very quiet when I stayed, with staff practically falling over you. Check in was efficient, and quickly up to our room. The elevators are tiny so be warned if you have lots of bags! We were in a standard room with a queen size bed, and felt like we had travelled back in time and staying in one of the Versailles Palace rooms. Oversized Crystal Chandeliers, Big thick drapes, gold and marble shower en suite, all felt a bit out dated.

No tea and coffee making facilities in room, so you have to ask. Minibar exceptionally expensive, and we have been charged for its use, even though we didn't use it - still fighting for a refund!

Breakfast was average and very expensive - plenty of places around and about for a better quality and cheaper breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room on the non road side of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bentley London? Share your experiences!