“So relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis London Excel Docklands

You added Ibis London Excel Docklands to your Saves list
Ibis London Excel Docklands
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Western Gateway | Royal Victoria Dock, London E16 1AB, England (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #427 of 1,065 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
Paignton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Utilitarian, with little character. It does what it says on the tin and you get what you pay for, in a budget hotel. The night staff were great. The room was clean but small. No complaints. If you are looking for over night accommodation and not an experience, this will tick the box.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank for your positive comments about your recent stay with us and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the ibis product. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
With regards, Brian Opauka
Derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

No Complaints considering the price paid(£72.50 Inc Breakfast)
From the top, Check in was reasonably straightforward(barring i could not secure VAT Invoice for my stay)
Room, including bathroom was spotless and well equipped for the overnight traveller(nothing more,or less)
Breakfast room (self service) was VERY busy resulting in 10 min queue, breakfast itself was more than adequate with plentiful array of all usual fare.
Reached by DLR from Central London but be aware the trip is approching 45mins to Tower Gateway(therefore early morning meetings mean leaving hotel bfore 0700Hrs)
As i said at the beginning, No complaints considering price paid

Room Tip: 344 has no view over the water
Dear Trevor M,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to ibis London ExCeL-Docklands in the near future.
With regards, Brian Opauka
Melb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Facilities very good although somewhat limited in size (especially shower).
Very helpful staff – ask for whatever you want.
Location fair but not a problem with a car. Reasonably close to DLR rail line.

Could not recommend if any large events (eg Olympics, Para Olympics) are scheduled as parking is restricted and may not be accessible

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking to time to write about your experienc at ibis London ExCeL-Docklands. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at the Ibis Docklands for the first time with my partner during MCM Expo, and having stayed in Ibis hotels before, I thought I knew what to expect: Clean, basic room that wasn't too expensive.

The Pros:

Keycard activated lifts. Felt very secure.
Proximity to the Excel Centre was great.
Clean room.

The Cons (Of which there are many):

The keycards would cease to work twice a day, so we had to keep running back and forth to reception to activate them again.
The beds and pillows are as uncomfortable as ever (despite them advertising new beds, which is why I booked with them again instead of another hotel).
The cleaning staff seemed to have no idea what a "Do not Disturb" sign meant. More than once we had that on the door while changing or having a lie in, and they would barge in. Three times alone on Monday morning when we were packing to leave.
The price of drinks was astronomical.
Myself and some of my friends were kicked out of the restaurant on Saturday night without explanation to make room for another group of four when there was two other tables available that had not been cleaned. The waiter was also speaking French to us. Was the restaurant closed off to all but a French group? If so, why was there no signage to say so. It was extremely embarassing.
We were given a room near a lift when I had asked for a quiet room. I had booked this well in advance so there is no excuse for that. The window would not close properly either so there was a lot of noise.
I had paid for breakfasts on the Friday night, yet staff repeatedly tried to charge me on the mornings I went in.
It also is not all that clear that breakfasts are only served until 1000 during the weekday.
And finally, the toilet seat was broken and stained from previous use.

I think that's just about it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the feedback following your stay at ibis London ExCeL-Docklands. I was dissapointed to read the issues you encountered during your stay. Please rest assured that I shall follow up on the issues addressed with housekeeping comments and the scenario of being asked to leave our restaurant. Our objective is to ensure that our guests have a hassle free stay and it is with regret that we failed in our service and product delivery on your stay. I invite you to contact me on H3655-GM@accor.com to discuss the details further.
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We found the actual room average with the rate charged good for London if you just need somewhere to sleep. The bed was comfortable. The small hard settee attached to the wall was split underneath so it creaked and groaned with a threat to collapse if we sat on it. The 'bathroom' was one of those awful all-in-one plastic things, but was better than most.
One tiny soap and 2 towels plus bath mat. On requesting more towels at the desk they could only find one extra plus another bathmat, but the desk staff and bar staff were pleasant and helpful. Where we met awful problems was the restaurant. Breakfast was average help-yourself, but the one time we went for a evening meal was a disaster.We were shown to a table and waited 20 mins to be served.I am vegetarian and asked if they could give me the pie and veg dish without the pie..this seemed to me to be a simple request.Just take the pie off the plate and throw it away..I was quite willing to pay the full price, I just didnt want bits of dead animal on my plate.But this request was met by a blunt NO. rather strange for a so-called restaurant.So I ended up with a small side order and actually when my husbands pie meal arrived another twenty minutes later I was glad I missed out on that one...it was so tiny I wouldnt have given it to a child.The steak he said was 2 tiny pieces surrounded by what appeared to be cheap mince. The gravy had to be spooned out of the jug and the veg was a tiny heap in one corner. Very poor value so we complained and recieved a discount. Needless to say that was the last time we ate in there.The hotel next door was so much better.We didnt expect a banquet but we did expect better service and reasonable food. We would stay there again but definately eat out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and comments following your stay. I am pleased to read that you found our new beds comfortable and overall enjoyed this ibis product. However, I will certainly follow up with regards to your comments with regards to your restaurant experience. Our objective is to find solutions to any requests and I am disappointed that we failed on this occassion. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Twice I booked at this hotel always asking for a double bed and a room with view. Instead, I always obtained one with twin beds and a terrible view. Every time I asked if I could change for a double bed always the same answer "so sorry, there is none available". Strange, I booked it a week in advance during a period when there were no local events going on.
I needed to iron my shirts to go to work and the ironing room situated on the 6th floor had 2 old rusty irons. Not only were they not functioning properly but they also stained my shirts! I had to wear the same one again to work. I was not impressed.
On the other hand, I must admit the rooms are clean and comfortable. Aside from the fact you need to pay extra to obtain free wireless internet (in other London hotels you always obtain free in the room) it is in general a good hotel.

Room Tip: Request the ones facing the riverside.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear SylviaFA19,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the allocation of your room as well as the situation with the ironing room. Rest assured that immediate action has been taken to improve on this aspect of our product. I invite you to contact me directly on H3655-GM@accor.com following your comments. I am pleased to read, however, that your overall experience with us has been to satisfaction. I look forward to hearing from you.
Brian Opauka, General Manager

Been to Ibis London Excel Docklands? Share your experiences!