“Iffy neighborhood, staff grows on you” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Moran Hotel

You added Crown Moran Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   142-152 Cricklewood Broadway, London NW2 3ED, England   |
Ranked #371 of 1,049 Hotels in London
“Iffy neighborhood, staff grows on you”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed at the crown for a week at the end of August. Upon arriving, I was not impressed with the helpfulness of the staff but over the course of the week, came to appreciate them. This is a historical property so there were some problems--the first room I was given did not have a working phone, the second room I was given (in the newer portion of the hotel) had large windows which let in so much sun (even with the curtain closed) that it was virtually impossible for the AC to cool the room. They did bring me a portable AC/fan which made it tolerable. I loved the pub attached to the hotel! It appeared a hang-out for locals and I met many lovely people there (I was traveling alone.) The lobby area is bright and pretty. The room was spacious and nicely furnished. The breakfast offerings were varied and decent. I did not use the pool but it also looked lovely. The neighborhood is another matter--it is somewhat scary walking from the tube or bus stop to the hotel at night (if you are a single female). The bus did stop immediately outside the hotel but the bus stop which you use to go from the tube to the hotel is definitely iffy. Many have commented on the excellence/convenience of transportation but what they do not mention is that you will climb many flights of stairs and walk very far after you enter the station to get to the train. I was not prepared for this and although I am not that old (59), for the first time in my life, developed a serious health issue from the amount of walking involved. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the staff so much by the end of my visit that I was sad to leave. (Especially compared to the staff in my Paris hotel!) I probably would not stay there again because of the location, but I am glad that I stayed there once.

Room Tip: It depends on the weather. I happened to visit London when it was unusually warm and sunny so my ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Crown Moran Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Never60742,

Thank you for your honest review. Despite there being both positives and negatives to your stay, it was wonderful to read that our staff here at The Crown Moran certainly did everything to make it as pleasant as possible for you.

While the area is obviously not something I can change, I should point out that many of our guests do find it to be very convenient and enjoy the cosmopolitan feel, however I am naturally sorry to hear this was not the case for you on this occasion.

Josh Cameron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, the rooms can use more detailed cleaning. I would advise anyone who like to stay somewhere cheap, close to the motorway and not looking for something fancy to stay there! The receptionists were very helpful and took care of everything. So sad that the in house car park costs a lot, nearly 20 € a day. Service in the restaurant was alright, not excellent!

Room Tip: Dont take a room on the ground floor (left side) its right next to the entrance way to the parking...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kindsvater-jr,

I am a little confused by your review, particularly as we are not based by a motorway, but rather in Zone 2 of London, which is why our charge of £15 is in line with other hotels within the area.

Marrakech
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

For what is on offer, this is a very reasonably priced hotel in the Willesden, Kilburn area of London, with loads of in-house amenities and spacious rooms. We were travelling as a family, and everyone, old and young, were treated very well. This is the lovely Irish touch. The staff are great, and always friendly, whatever the circumstances.
Just before Christmas, we had an informal Birthday lunch in the Pub section of the hotel (which has a great atmosphere and good "Pub grub") at which there were 16 of us, ranging from 70+ years of age down to 6 months, and they catered for all tastes and requirements very efficiently.
There is also the PanAsia restaurant on the first floor which does a good mixture of tasty oriental dishes.
The morning breakfasts are copious, and served in a mixture of buffet style and à la carte.
There is a large indoor heated swimming pool, which is great entertainment for over-energetic kids. This is part of the Spa complex.
A useful plus is the underground car park for visitors and residents alike, (although the former have a parking charge to pay).
This was not our first visit, and it most certainly will not be our last.We love the place.

Dear Robin T,

I think your review pretty much says it all - Thank you!

It was especially nice to hear that such a wide range of age groups where able to enjoy our hospitality as we do pride ourselves on being a very family friendly hotel.

Camberley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here a few times whilst attending the Tipperary dinner dance which used to be held in October.
excellent hotel, rooms are clean spacious and beautifully decorated. function rooms are large and again beautifully decorated and laid out. reception looks grand on entrance. Bar area warm and inviting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Camberley,

Thank you for posting you very kind review and great to hear that you are a fan of the design of our public areas.

Villanueva de la Torre
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Highly recommendable destination. When you finally find the hotel in such not so-good neighborhood you will have a very nice surprise. The hotel is really nice, clean, the rooms are fine, the breakfast it is really great (it is worth it to include breakfast), since besides the classical continental buffet breakfast, you may choose between more than 5 different types of English varieties.
The location is far from the Central London, but the commute to the main downtown destinations is great (different busses just 1 minute walking to Victoria) plus a tube station (a 5 minute bus, or 15 minute walking ride).
The price is very convenient when compared to other 4 star locations in London.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Crown Moran Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Carlos Z,

Thank you for your kind comments. It sounds as though you had a very pleasant stay with us and I was particularly pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast.

Ferney-Voltaire, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was my first trip to London and I only had the advise of tripadvisor to guide me. I picked this hotel based on the price but was slightly worried about the location. Luckily, my worries proved to be unfounded. While it was a bit of an adventure getting out to the hotel from Gatwick airport (mostly because the Gatwick Express was closed for repair at the time!) it was well worth the effort. The hotel is lovely and the staff was very helpful. On our first day, when asking about how to get into town, we were informed of the tube closure and then given the best alternative to getting into town. Normally, you can get into town by bus, railway, or tube...all very conveniently located close to the hotel (the 189 stops right in front of the hotel and takes you past Abbey Road and the famous crosswalk on your way into town!). My only complaint about the hotel actually has nothing to do with the hotel! I was underwhelmed by the bar (my white wine was lukewarm and the service was lackluster) and equally underwhelmed by the breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to anyone...just get your food and drink somewhere else!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear marimbagoddess,

Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind review. By the sound of it you travelled on a weekend with lots maintenance work going on with London transport, but I was so pleased to read that our staff were able to efficiently suggest alternatives and as you mention we are well served by several different modes of transport.

Naturally I was sorry to read that you were not entirely happy with the service in the bar and restaurant as this is certainly not typical of the comments we receive about these areas, so I do apologise.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you again.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Spent 3 nights at the hotel, Quick and easy check in and out. Area is very multicultural with lots of restaurants and takeaways, with a fab little bagel/bakery shop across the road, great for breakfast pastries etc. Lots of little shops including fruit shops, Tesco and a coop a within a 5 minute walk. We parked at the travel lodge which has cheaper parking than the hotel, with the option of paying for 3 days at a time. which is also a few mins walk. The tube station that we used is Kilburn which is either a 10 min walk or a few mins on the bus which stops right outside the hotel. Kilburn station is on the Jubilee line, this line goes direct to Westminster, and only a few stops from main stations were you can change lines. You can get a visitor oyster card from the little newsagent at the station..but this needs to be handed back into a tube with a manned ticket office !! (don't get get caught out like we did) The Panasia restaurant in the hotel is closed on Sundays dispite all the literature which says its open, but they still offer a limited Sunday menu which is similar to a bar menu....housekeeping are on the ball, but don't come in while your in the room like other review seems to suggest.
Things that are useful to know :
Coffee and tea facilities are stocked each day,
Hairdryer in the room,
Shower gel and shampoo in the shower,
Handwash and a body lotion by the sink
****On checking in they take a security deposit from the booking card, this shows on the statement as a pending payment, but they do not actually take this from the account- we were not made aware of this which caused slight concern when I checked my credit card statement on my return home-If this had been made clear to us at check in, I may not have been happy with the amount (which was more than my actual bill !) but I would have understood that they would not claim this fee***

Dear LMcCool1982,

Thank you for your detailed and informative review. I'm sure many of your fellow travellers will find your tips and hints useful.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Josh Cameron

Been to Crown Moran Hotel? Share your experiences!