“Fab stay haven't laughed so much before” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel

You added Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel to your Saves list
Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel
48 - 50 Inverness Terrace | Bayswater, London W2 3JA, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #361 of 663 Specialty Lodging in London
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Fab stay haven't laughed so much before”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Again this hostel was chosen again for its closeness to where I was working, as it was far cheaper than any of the local hotels and I now prefer the option of cooking for myself and the social aspect of staying hotels in London.

This hostel has a few faults, but my stay was one of the best I've ever had in London for so many reasons. I was staying for 3-4 days around work and this was the first time I opted to stay in a mixed dorm. In all honesty it was other guests and hostel staff that made my stay.

The bad things then -
The communal space is limited, with only one sofa in the whole building (in reception), but there is built in seating in the downstairs area.
The showers and toilets are nothing more than glorified cupboards, with questionable cleanliness. I'd say they showers are the worst I have used anywhere.
The kitchen is small and accessing utensils to cook with awkward until you build a rapport with the staff.
There are only two fridges and if they get full, anything left out is liable to be binned - space is a premium in the galley kitchen.

GOOD things -
The rooms I stayed in was three tier bunk beds, each one has curtains for privacy and under bed lockers (these lockers are noisy though if anyone uses them late at night while drinking, yet it is possible to limit the noise).
Beds were really comfortable, even if head clearance was limited on sitting up - I would choose this bed over that of the last two hotels I stayed at on comfort and privacy alone. Plus who is going to spend all day sitting on a bed.
Staff, they were lovely. On arrival they cover the essentials but as I was there for a few days I got to know nearly all of them, once you move past the surface portrayal they really do make your stay. Funny interesting and helpful.
Free wifi that is quite reliable.

The other guests in my room were the high point of my stay though. A good laugh was had by all of us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sliema, Malta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The location of the smart hyde park inn is amazing, near bayswater station. But we did not have a escalator to go to our room and there were quite a lot of steps and my friend suffers from asthma, so it was harder from him then anyone else. Also the room is quite small and it was a bit too hot ( we went in End of September to the beginning of October). Also there was no wifi in the room but there was near reception. The staff was okay.

The hostel needs to invest in an escalator!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you are shorter than 5'7 then you might survive, thats if the lights dont turn off after 16 seconds in the toilets or 25 seconds in the shower! Please also note that the showers were designed for the borrowers and you cant lift your arms up its really that tight. A courtesy alarm awakening on saturday mornings by Bill and Ben the Builders who come in and rip off half a door frame and then just screw a door to a wall then doesn't shut. There really is no paint on the walls in this hostel and your belongings will be covered in dust. Staff are rude, not helpful and pay free nights if you leave a fake review ( see glowing reports on hostelbookers/ hostel world) this place is A JOKE. Also you might want to pack a track suit so you can play the "crystal maze game" of finding your room, up and down 7 staircases and along fire escapes. GOOD LUCK! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, stay at Travel Joy Hostel in Pimlico instead, far cheaper, lovely, clean and very helpful! Trust me, I am a seasoned backpacker from all over the world.

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere, honestly it is BAD!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

The only positive is the location and the price. There is really nothing good that I can say about the atmosphere, rooms or facilities. Maybe okay for one night on your own but I would avoid if ever in the area again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed here recently and really liked it, it didn't bust the bank. Great location really central, beds were nice, i really liked this place
I found the staff really helpful and the general feel of the hotel inviting. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Westport, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The price was right, and to be close to a sporting event in Hyde Park the Bayswater location was certainly close enough. That being said, the woman who checked me in neglected to tell me about breakfast - or even that there were toilets in the lower floor. The pub like main room has a nice vibe to it, with visitors from all over the world banging away on their laptops. This is the first hostel I've stayed at where I had to bring my own towel - and to buy one of their's is a rip-off. The rooms and bathrooms are not clean - and for me to notice says a lot.

Room Tip: don't expect the lift to work - it didn't when I was there
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were supposed to stay at the hostel for 3 nights but checked out after 1 night.
The staff was completely uncomprehending when we came to tell them that we couldn't sleep in our room (Twin Bunk Room, 4th floor) because of the heat. We asked them if we could get some air in the room in some other way than opening the window because obviously that didn't help at all.
They came with a proposal to sleep with the door open. Which for me is the most insane proposal I have ever heard since there are 4 other room outside ours.
Also, the shower was incredibly hot and you couldn't regulate the heat. So because of the hot shower the room got even more hot than it already was.
I HAVE STILL NOT GOT OUR REFUND TO MY BANK ACCOUNT AFTER 14 DAYS.
I have tried to contact the hostel without any answer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel? Share your experiences!