“Convenient location in the heart of London” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Staunton Hotel

You added Staunton Hotel to your Saves list
Staunton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   13-15 Gower Street, London WC1E 6HE, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #514 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Boston, United Kingdom
“Convenient location in the heart of London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed for one night in December and found the hotel very pleasant. The room was warm, welcoming and clean ...although it was up 3 flights of stairs which was hard work after walking around London all day!
Breakfast was a choice of Continental or Full English, we both chose Full English and really enjoyed it.
The only little irritations we had was I felt one pillow was too flat then two pillows was too high so I didn't have a great nights sleep ...but my wife did! The remote on the TV did not work so I had to keep getting out of bed to change channels and turn the volume down ...so wasn't happy about that! But otherwise I would recommend The Staunton Hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here as a single female a couple of weeks ago. I had an appointment in the afternoon & on reaching the hotel early was advised my room was not ready. After a pot of tea and 20 minutes later my room was ready. I was in 104 - first floor double, with tv , tea & coffee making facility, mini bar, safe & en-suite bath/shower.
The room was warm, spotless and very comfortable. The reception staff were very helpful.
There are many places to eat just around the corner on Store Street - including a Greek cafe/deli, an Italian (Olivelli's), and a Co-op should you want to purchase snacks or drinks. Waitrose is also a short walk away along with a selection of pubs or bars.
The room was quiet with free Wi-fi, breakfast included (continental or full English)
The hotel was perfect with wonderful staff. I would recommend this hotel which is quiet, peaceful and immaculate.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Orlando, FL.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Staunton was one of the most reasonably priced hotels in the area. Of course, being in London, it was ridiculously expensive, but it provided decent value in comparison to other hotels in Bloomsbury. The location was great...only about a block from the British Museum and about 3 blocks for two different Tube stops. It's an "old school" hotel with much of the paperwork being done by hand at the small reception area. The rooms are very basic but decently sized and have everything you need. The bathrooms were adequate, had plenty of counter space, and a stand-up shower with no tub. I could not quite figure out the cooling/heating system in the room. Despite being in November, the room was warm so I had to keep the window open at night. The noise from the street was pretty loud so be prepared if you are a light sleeper. Housekeeping service was timely and good and everybody at the hotel was helpful and polite. Breakfast in the morning was a nice surprise with both continental choices and menu items included as part of the room rate. The ladies taking care of the breakfast (especially the wonderful lady from Lithuania) were a highlight of the stay. Again, it's an expensive hotel but only because it is in London. It's not a 5-star hotel but it will give you everything you need for a good stay.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the street...noise may be too much for you to sleep.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

This is a charming small hotel. However in my mind, it is quite expensive, compared to what you get with the money. The room was quite cozy, large for London terms and quiet, but it was in the second floor in an old town house with no elevator. The minibar was quite large in selection, but was not filled for our second day. The breakfast was good, but there were no other facilities in the hotel. Next to the elevator, I would have expected at least some type of small bar and garden patio, or even a small pool.This was ok, for few days and the location is great for visiting British museum, but I would not spend this money for a B&B for any longer period of time......

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

Nice break in this hotel. It is small so more like a good bed and breakfast. Staff helpful and all problems were sorted out quickly. Great location near theatre land and close to kings cross station. Breakfast room small and can get busy.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

I stayed here for three nights from June 23rd to the 25th.

There is only one issue with the Staunton and I found out what it was as soon as I walked in, there is no elevator. The woman working the front desk was very polite about it and normally it wouldn't be a big deal but I was there with my parents and my mom has had three hip replacements and a broke her back years ago so stairs would have been an issue. I thought about going to another hotel but my mom assured me it wouldn't be a problem and thankfully it wasn't considering our room was on the third floor.

There was construction out front but we never heard it. The room was very clean and much bigger than I thought it would be.

While everything else about the hotel was great, the best part was the location. There were great cafes right around the corner, less than a five minute walk to the British Museum and the bus tours that start out in front of it. I went to Wimbledon and there was a subway station just a few minutes from the hotel. There is a grocery store and a bank just a few minutes away so we had everything we needed.

If I were travelling by myself or with someone who didn't need assistance, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Koper, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

we spent 7 days here, stayed in the room 303 on the 3rd floor. The staff was pleasant and helpful.
Room was spacious with 3 beds, the bathroom was clean and quite spacious,too.
Downside was the noise on Gower street. It was quite hot in the room. If the air condition was switched on, then afterwards when switched off it made a disturbing noise every 10 minutes which was annoying during the night. So the question was the A/C noise or the traffic noise.
The breakfast was ok, no waiting for free tables.
The steep stairs are the fact, but all Georgian buildings have this problem with no lifts and I guess the hotel owner cannot have any influence on it.
We were very grateful that we could leave our luggage in the reception area on Saturday morning as our flight was in late afternoon.
The hotel is situated in a nice area with many universities and British Museum nearby. It is a 5 minute walk to Oxford street, Soho...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Staunton Hotel? Share your experiences!