“Excellent accommodation....MUST STAY HERE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alexandra Hotel

You added Alexandra Hotel to your Saves list
Alexandra Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Sussex Place | Hyde Park, London W2 2RY, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #784 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia
“Excellent accommodation....MUST STAY HERE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel we stayed in for 8 nights and were ecstatic about the high level of service and immaculate cleanliness of the hotel. Our double room came complete with a high definition 48 inch plasma...spectacular city views greeted us from our spectacular window. The bathroom was out of this world!! Never have. Seen a cleaner more spacious bathroom. The shower work amazingly...just the right temperature. We were surprised to find the heated indoor pool along with the 24 hour fitness facilities. Anyone staying here must try the full English breakfast...the most delicious I have ever tasted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was a bad experience and spoiled our 5 day stay in London for the poor quality of this accommodation.

The only good feature of this hotel is its location, but with thousands of other units - better and cheaper - on its door step there is absolutely no reason to choose Alexandra.

The welcoming was poor, the staff was never very willing to be nice or helpful.

The room, a twin, was dark, damp, no storage and had a minimal shower where you can hardly fit in. The cleanliness was also poor and for our amazement, we were told that the heating was switched off from 10pm to 6am!

The breakfast was incredibly basic, with no variety and cold bread being served.

Avoid at any cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This property is quite clean and the staff are very friendly, but unfortunately not an ideal place to stay if you are travelling with a great deal of luggage as the room was quite tiny. Also, the appliance maintenance seems quite inadequate; the television could not be used as the power point seemed either blocked or else damaged some other way. I didn't mind as I don't watch much tv when I travel, but I did think it was rather a dangerous oversight. Also found myself facing a rather rude housekeeping staff member who seemed unhappy when she came to service my room and I asked if she could return later. I gather the kitchen/cleaning staff don't speak much English which caused some confusion on the day I arrived.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Was initially put off by comments on trip advisor but having travelled a lot glad I knew what to expect in London hotels. Small but very clean room and bathroom. Close to many tourist locations and Hyde park/ padding ton station. I think he value is good as you get what you pay for-room was very clean, staff were helpful and think it should be noted -don't expect an hotel in London to be similar to a room in North America. I will stay at Alexandra again-location was great- I stayed for 7 nights and no issues! Thanks for a great stay in London !

• Stayed October 2012
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived from New York and were able to head straight to our room which was nice. The location is great and it is easy to get to things but I think that is where the good stuff stops, oh the staff are friendly and try to help but there is only so much you can do with an aging hotel. Not the start to our London life we were wanting. Also breakfast is good with a nice basic selection to get you started.

Firstly we were asked to pay 10 pound for a TV remote; we arrived in our room to find two single beds when we booked a double!! When we asked we were told that they only have 6 double rooms and due to the Olympics they were over booked, sorry THE END!!

The carpet in the rooms and hallway was worn out we wore shoes all the time as the floor was a little crunchy. You will almost certainly lose a limb if you do not get into the lift before the door shuts. I am 6ft 4in and when I sat on the toilet my knees touched the wall. With both our bags on the floor only one person could move around the room at any one time. The internet was ridiculously expensive again no one forced us to buy it but be prepared no free wifi.

I am not sure how this can be a hotel when I have stayed in backpackers that felt more modern than this place. Even though the cleaning staff came through daily the room still felt dirty, the shower was dirty and not really scrubbed clean.

Would not recommend staying here for the price we paid we should have gone a little further out and stayed at a nicer proper hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the annexe across the road on the third floor. To get to the THIRD floor you have to climb FIVE flights of stairs with your luggage dragging behind due to the narrow width. World's tiniest bathroom with no shower gel or shampoo. Squeaky floors and despite ordering a double room, we got three beds which made it very cramped. Breakfast, which is good, is held in a basement which is as quiet as a tomb with no windows. The silent Eastern European staff member was very creepy as she watched our every move. The reception staff were helpful but not friendly. Learn how to smile!

• Stayed October 2012
Newquay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here on Saturday we arrived were asked to put our bags in the room which had not been cleaned from there previous night and it was a real mess. I asked where the tv remote was and had to give £10 to use it all night the doors were slamming .i tried to shower in the morning and it was that small I thought it was for child only and there was no hot water,I have stayed in the area several times but I will never stay in that hotel again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Alexandra Hotel? Share your experiences!