“Basic and Cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Seymour Hotel

Save Saved
You added Seymour Hotel to your Saves list
Seymour Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Sussex Gardens | Hyde Park, London W2 2RY, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #860 of 1,073 hotels in London
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Basic and Cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

After reading the reviews we were apprehensive but decided to go ahead with it after all and make our own minds up. On arrival we were told we were in the building next door and were directed to our room. It was a twin bed room and we had requested a double. I rang reception and they changed the room for us very quickly but in the building 3 doors down. It seems this hotel has actually got at least 4 buildings all joining. The room was basic but clean. The bathroom was tiny but adequate. If you just need a base to get a shower and a bed for the night then this is ideal and within walking distance of Edgeware Rd and Paddington tube stations. Lots of local pubs around as well. if you need a hotel where you want to spend all day in the height of luxury and not get out and about then this hotel isn't for you. Its basic, cheap and clean.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Christchurch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I didn't actually book at this hotel, I had pre-booked into the Royal Cambridge Hotel (few doors up the road) but on arrival they advised they had overbooked so had arranged for me to stay at the Seymour Hotel. The room cost £130 for one night and was not worth a single penny. The room was dirty, with cobwebs on the ceiling and dead flies in the uplighter. The bathroom stank and the base of the bathroom door was rotten - the smell from this emanated into the bedroom. The extractor fan did not work and was clogged up with what looked like years of filth. The light over the 'dressing table' was disgustingly filthy and the double bed was made up with a not very clean single sheet.

Due to the condition of the room, I decided not to use the in-room tea and coffee facilities. I also refrained from breakfast, which was included in the rate.

The only saving grace is if you were in a hurry you could easily use the loo and take a shower at the same time!!

I regularly stay at hotels throughout the UK for work. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I would never recommend this hotel. I would also not recommend the Royal Cambridge, as it is due to them that I was subjected to this experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

On first view it seemed decent, not the fanciest place around but decently clean. I mean you get what you pay for right? I've been in my fair share of hostels, motels and hotels throughout the world but this was hands down the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel.

On our first day there, we went out for about an hour and came back to find our room had been broken into and a lot of our things (electronics, money, cell phones, laptops, etc.) were stolen. The hotel offered no apology or refund and were extremely unhelpful with the police. When the police wanted to check the security cameras none of the staff knew how to work the recorder. When they finally got a specialist in they found that the camera hadn't even been recording.

As the day went on, more people reported things stolen and in the end 5 rooms had been hit.

The worst part? There was no sign of forced entry. I felt so violated knowing that someone would just walk into our room, rifle through our personal things and walk right on out. I'm sorry all of this - so many rooms hit, no broken locks, useless security cameras - just screams suspicious to me. If it wasn't an inside job, the hotel didn't seem at all concerned about the security of the place. When the maintenance guy "changed" the lock, we saw that it was in fact, the same lock (worked with the old key) and had to stand their watching him as he actually changed the lock.

As a young female traveler, security is my biggest concern. When you stay at a hotel, especially one with seemingly working locks and decent reviews, you expect to be safe. After that first afternoon, I did not feel safe at all.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Malta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I can't really complain about our stay....even though very small rooms and especially the bathroom. but I WAS ROBBED TOO!!!!. ....even my UNDERPANTS they took and my kids clothes!!! How SICK!!!!! I tried to call back for a whole month but I only got excuses and excuses and excuses. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS HOTEL!!!!! SHAME ON THEM!!!!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The room was quite small, but fine if you only need somewhere to fall asleep. The location is good though, only a short walk from Paddington Station. Transport links therefore speak for themselves. Although Paddington was less well connected this time due to part closures on the Circle/District/Hammersmith & City lines. (There are also the buses).
I found some of the other reviews here difficult to understand having stayed there. The staff were not unhelpful or unfriendly. It's not the best hotel in the world, but it was fine really. I didn't think it was great value for money. They advertise a range of prices for a room, and vary it depending on demand according to infotel. They wouldn't give us the cheapest rate. Perhaps they would have if it had been booked earlier, I don't know.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I can deal with the tiny room and smelly towels, but I can't believe our room got robbed the first day we checked in. When the policy requested to see the civilian camera, no one knows how to operate it!!! Hotel staffs were rude and unhelpful. They refused to refund our hotel money that was paid in full when we checked in. They refuse to lend the phone and computer to us to get in contact with our family and friends back home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
South Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I booked this hotel as it's within walking distance of Hyde Park, where my friend and I had booked tickets to see the Kings Of Leon.
When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that we had been booked in to the sister hotel Alexandria Hotel which is approxmatley 200 yards down the road.
I was able to park my car at the Seymour for £ 10.00 [24 hrs]. The Alexandria Hotel was fantastic, great reception staff, very clean room and bed and a lovley view from the window. The bathroom was small, but it did us just fine. Free tea & coffee and if you required anything extra, there was a small corner shop about 4 mins away from the hotel.
The breakfast was toast, ham & cheese. Cerals & yogart. plenty of tea and coffee.
But for what we paid for the room [£43:00 each] we were well pleased with our room and would book again. Also idea for a shopping trip into London, only 10 minutes from Lancaster Gate Tube Station.

Room Tip: Very clean room and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Seymour Hotel? Share your experiences!