“Distinctly generic hotel, but that will do me!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza London - Docklands

You added Crowne Plaza London - Docklands to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Western Gateway | Royal Victoria Dock, London E16 1AL, England (East End / East London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #295 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Distinctly generic hotel, but that will do me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

OK, so it's not the Ritz, but the rooms are clean, the beds are the usual Crowne Plaza brand and therefore suprimely comfortable. The staff are your average hotel staff in London (don't speak perfect English, but certainly no communication difficulties)! Food is ok, as is breakfast. The best thing about the hotel is the decor (in my view), it is modern, but inoffensive. Certainly, if you are at ExCel, you can't go wroing! For central London it is a short journey by DLR and Tube away, about 25 mins. Due to its out of city location, the rates tend to be much less than your average London hotel -expect to pay about £90 per room if you book about 2 weeks in advance. In London on the other hand £150 would be a reasonable expectation -the rooms are also bigger at this hotel. There is nothing "special" about this hotel, it is soulless, but it woks just fine.

• Liked — Quality of bed/furnishings
  • Disliked — Staff are not particularly inspiring!
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early and enjoy cheap rates
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Maidenhead, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

I stayed here for 4 nights while at a trade show at the Excel Centre in February.

It is a very good location for that, next door to a man-made lake (part of docklands) and a short walk to the Excel Centre.

Of course, the hotel was busy with exhibition attendee's.

The hotel coped well enough with this busy crowd.

My room was rather nice, bigger than I was expecting and comfortable. Clean. The only downside is that on a windy day the wind howls around the outside, it seems to whistle through parts of the exterior building, and can be quite loud.

The bar area can get very busy if there are large groups of salesmen in for the Exhibition Centre.

Breakfast was good, in terms of quality and service.

Good for: Staying near Excel, exhibitions.
Not so good for: a quiet few days away.

• Liked — Room comfort
  • Disliked — very noisy bar, exhibition crowds
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid if you do not like crowds
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
El Segundo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

Dont go there!!!!!!

Let me introduce myself. A frequent traveller in Europe and a fan of Priority Club. I have seen Holiday Inns, Intercontinentals and Crowne Plazas, etc. This trip confirmed my belief that the success of a company depends on good management and good people. Definitely not present in this London (monopoly location?)hotel. A shame for the group of hotels.

I arrived for a fair on Sunday evening. After a full day of travel I arrive at the bar and a girl tells me that I can still order a sandwich, just need to sit down. Nobody is coming. Obviously the staff is stressed. not enough staff..I return to the bar after 10mins and another guy tells me that the kitchen is closed. only roomservice. I order a beer and go to the reception to order a sandwich which i need to eat in the room. I prefer to eat in the lobby as my colleagues are nearby in the bar.

After returning to the bar I see a waiter who wants to serve a cup of coffee. it falls down and people laugh at the same time at an adjascent table. Obviously only cause they have fun, and not related to the incident. The waiter goes there and tells them "this is not funny!" in a very angry tone.

This was the moment when I decided I have to tell my fellow travelers about this place.

Monday after our Sales Meeting we go for lunch. We order but the waiters have no clue who ordered what. Finally we get our drinks and are left alone. After all glasses are empty we manage to convince a waiter that we would like a second round of drinks…

Tuesday afternoon my colleague hands over my power adaptor to the receptionist at 15h. I return from the fair at 18h and ask for the adaptor. Nothing. They don’t find it. After having called my colleague if he handed in the device I speak to the lady whom he had given the adaptor. (BTW I was not able to receive a EUROPE –UK adaptor since Sunday nite from them, well its only a hotel next to Excel with only a few people from the continent)

She told me that she confused it and thought that my colleague would return a lended adaptor……I told her it was mine that I bought for 5pounds and I expect it back when I return from dinner. She tells me she will find a solution….

I turn to the concierge to see where my taxi is I ordered for 18h50. still not here. They order one for me……no taxis are waiting although I always see people asking for a taxi. Bad organization…So I am waiting outside as still after 5mins no taxi is here. Luckily another cab passes by and I am able to catch up and be on time for my meeting in the center.

As I return from dinner I ask for the adaptor, Nothing. Although a solution was promised. I ask for the manager (Tesh?) I ask him to go to another room to discuss as I am upset. He prefers to stay at the reception. I tell him that my stay has been a disaster from day 1.

I am telling him my story and get really upset as he tells me he might give me the adaptor the next morning. No excuse from his side instead he threatens to call the police to throw me out!!!!

I am laughing at him and tell him to do it!

Finally they search for the 10 time and find an adaptor with my room number on it…
Its not mine but looks alike so I take it in order to stay connected……..

I don’t blame the employees but the management. Obviously 90% of the people are not trained and would not even survive in any of the East European hotels I usually stay. I saw waiters who had trouble to hold the trays and serve the drinks at the same time. (e.g. coffee cup example)

Would be glad to see other colleagues who can confirm my impressions!

Alexander

• Tips/Secrets — dont go there
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

Good hotel and service by friendly staff. Well located close to London City Airport and the City of London still easily to reach by DLR in 20 minutes.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza London - Docklands? Share your experiences!