“Good London base” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 663 Specialty Lodging in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good London base”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

These apartment are located in the heart of Bayswater about 1 minute from Queensway, 5-10 minutes walk to Bayswater and Queensway tube stations.

We arrived in the morning and were not allowed to check in but they were happy to take our bag. When I returned in the evening, my husband was not with us who held the booking. Fortunately I am pleased to say that the receptionist was extremely practical and allowed me and my baby to check in using id and credit card for incidentals. My husband completely the check in process when he arrived later.

A very kind man helped me with my bag despite me insisting I could manage and I'm pleased he did as this hotel is a warren.

We stayed in room 128 which was one the first floor but there were many stairs to tackle before getting to the appropriate lift.

The room / apartment was unusual. Opening the door, you are met with a flight of stairs going down a few feet in front of you leading to a bedroom and bathroom, one bedroom slightly to your right and another flight of stairs down to a kitchen diner.

Both bedrooms were clean with double beds. The bathroom was small and showed some signs of wear but was clean and had a bath which was useful for the baby. The kitchenette was well equipped with dishwasher, cutlery, pottery, tea coffee, dish cloths etc.

The apartment was really cold when I arrived and took a good couple of hours to heat up once I had turned all the radiators on.

All in all, the apartment was a clean place to stay for one night. There's nothing stylish or glossy about it. It was well equipped but not really practical for a baby or young children. I wouldn't stay here again for this reason but you can't fault the location for exploring London.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In 2009 when we first stayed in this hotel it was a very unpleasant experience. The room was filthy and smell musky.We then decided to try again under the new management to stay in the hotel in December 2014. I requested for a room with access to lift and was happy that my request was met. The staff at the front desk very helpful polite and courteous.
The room very clean and cosy. Grand Plaza is perfect for those travelling with family .Will I stay here again? Absolutely!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The apartment was nice. Room was clean. Th only problem, there was no potter middle of the night or early in the morning. So you have to carry your bags on your own.
service was excellent. When we complained the heater was not working, it was replaced with a new one immediately.

If you are staying at ground floor, make sure the windows are locked at all time. When we checked in at ground floor, I found the window wasn't locked.

There was a warning poster telling us that around the area some criminals will pretend to be policemen asking for your identity including you bank account or ATM code. The advice is to bring them into the hotel and ask the staff to handle them.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our apartment was spotlessly clean with beautiful towels which were changed daily. The staff at reception were very attentive, and check in was quick and effortless. The apartments are in a good location, just of Bayswater Road with an abundance of shops and a variety of restaurants on the doorstep. There are 2 tubes stations just around the corner and buses into Loncon run every 10 minutes. I would highly recommend these apartments.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter and further from the road but traffic noise isn't too bad
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here four nights at december 2014 as a couple.
The facade of hotel is glamorous and the doormans and staff looks fine. The hotel it self is quite a maze, it can be hard to find your room! Room it self is nice, not the finest but its big enough and kitchen part is nice side touch. Bed was great! Basically nothing important was missing there, maybe a bit oldish but still nice :) location is awesome! Two major underground just a few minutes walk away that takes you to: central, district and circle lines. Also hyde park near and whiteleys shopping mall on the same street, many reataraunts and small shops also around the hotel.

Although there was twice a lady bug in our room (:D) and its not the cheapest I would still recommend this if you are staying short visit as a tourist in London

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Mosdef coming here again. All is super close. Halal food is easy to find. Just the Malaysian food by the hotel is über expensive. The size was good for me & my family. Everybody is super friendly! Kudos to all!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Behind the 4 star facade lies a mediocre 3 star apartment complex. Having checked in very quickly with the help of a pleasant Italian receptionist we walked down a 2 star corridor in need of some character to our 3 star room. We weren't sure what to expect but the unusual chemical smell wasn't in the list. We had asked for 2 single beds (I was travelling with my young daughter) and, in a court of law, it would be successfully argued we got them, squashed together in double bed style. The 2 single duvets was the clue that it wasn't a king size double. The room was at best hotel sized and is much smaller that one would expect for an apartment. Credit to the photographer who did the photo shoot for the website, that's a good Photoshop. The room did have the essentials for self catering (fridge, microwave, etc.) and the bathroom was spacious and clean, as was the room. My biggest criticism is for the noise we endured from 5am every morning when we were woken by some residents insomniac child who took to running and jumping on the poorly insulated floor above us. We did complain one morning but to no avail.

The location is average. There are some average restaurants and average bars in this area plus a Tesco and Sainsbury less than 5 mins from the apts. All in all my biggest issue is with the marketing of this location as a 4 star. It's not. It's 3 at best. If they said it was 3 star I would have been prepared and not disappointed. If you want a place that 'will do' and doesn't break the bank then this place is fine, I suppose.

• Stayed December 2014

Been to Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!