“A pleasant experience from start to finish!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Space Apart Hotel

You added Space Apart Hotel to your Saves list
Space Apart Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36-37 Kensington Gardens Square, Hyde Park, London W2 4BQ, England (Formerly Ambassador Bayswater Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #147 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Sydney
“A pleasant experience from start to finish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This apartment was a little out of my price range but I went with the reviews and the pictures I saw online and I was not disappointed. From the moment I arrived I knew I was going to have a pleasant stay. The staff were friendly and helpful, particularly Ondrej, who helped me with my heavy suitcase (even though there is a lift), showed me to my room and explained how everything worked. The room was small but spotless, modern, and well-designed (especially the bathroom - I want a bathroom like that!). I was staying in London for 2 weeks so I wanted to feel like I had a second home and that is exactly what it felt like. The rooms are fully equipped with a kitchen (fridge, dishwasher, microwave, stove, toaster, kettle, utensils, etc.), washer/dryer, ipod dock, flat screen TV, DVD player (reception has a well-stocked DVD library which you can borrow from), electric bed (awesome!), ironing board, safe, basically everything you would need. I never cooked in my room as there are so many great places to eat in London, but I made breakfast every morning and occasionally made some lunch to take out with me. The kitchen was comfortable enough to make small, simple meals.
The area is great - so convenient. A 5 minute walk to Bayswater tube. This is one stop from Paddington station which connects you to the Heathrow express & UK rail. If you walk a few more minutes then you get to Bayswater station which is on the Central line, so very handy. There were quite a few decent places to eat around there too.
As some reviewers have pointed out, this is a self-contained apartment, it is not a hotel. This means that you get a weekly clean.For me, this is more than adequate. I don't need someone to make my bed every morning or change my towels everyday. If you need clean towels, you can throw them in the washer/dryer. They do provide you with some nice toiletries in the bathroom & one tab for the dishwasher (which I didn't use anyway), so you will have to buy your own washing powder, dishwashing liquid, etc. But there are plenty of supermarkets in the area so it shouldn't be a problem. Or if you're only staying a short while, you can bring a few things from home in small travel containers (this is what I did). I also felt very safe here, the building was secure and reception was staffed between 7am & 11pm. So you had the security of staying in a hotel, with the freedom of living in an apartment.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Space Apart Hotel to anyone wanting a home away from home in London. Next time I visit London I will not waste my time looking for a place to stay. I will return to the Space Apart Hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Havelock North, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Spent four nights whilst catching wimbledon. Very helpful staff, clean premises and modern fittings. Everything worked., Was very handy to 2 tube stations busy shopping areas of Kensington and of course Kensington Gardens. However in a very quiet Square. Would definitely recommend.

North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We arrived around 10am, before the normal check-in time, but were pleased to find that we could go ahead and check-in. The front desk manager kindly offered to upgrade us to a larger room at no extra cost. When we got to the room, however, we found that the only bed was in a loft. The loft had a low ceiling with windows that don't open, and it was quite hot up there! My husband and I turned the AC way down and left the hotel for a few hours. When we came back, the downstairs was very cool, but the loft remained stifling. We decided we could not possibly sleep well in such a hot area, so we asked to be moved. The only remaining room was one of the smallest in the hotel. Keep in mind that we asked upon making reservations for the largest standard studio available. Because of the "upgrade", however, we lost that room. The management truly was generous to offer the upgrade, but it really wasn't acceptable when temperatures outside reached 88 degrees F. The rooms could have also been cleaner. In the loft, we found some dried food on the floor, and the carpet had large stains. In the second room, we noticed a foul smell in the dishwasher and discovered a tea bag that had been sitting in there for who knows how long? Otherwise, it was a decent stay.

Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We found Space apart to be exactly what we were looking for. Good price for central London, great location with tube and bus stations near. We stayed in a standard apartment suite and found it roomy enough, very clean, very modern with a nice touch of design. Ok there is no cleaning service, only once a week, although you can probably pay extra if you want that for a longer stay, but I believe that kitchen facility, iron, and washing maschine more than makes up for it! Highly recommended!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I stayed at Space over May half term with my teenage daughter. We found it suited our every need and would definitely stay there again. The room we had was a studio apartment with open plan kitchen and separate bathroom. Very modern, very clean, well thought out and comfortable. All mod cons were provided such as free internet access (which made it easy for me to work from the room) and air conditioning (very unusual in a London hotel).
The bathroom was well equipped, had a good hot strong shower. Toiletries and hairdryer were provided as well as a large mirror for drying hair (essential for teenage daughter)!

The open plan kitchen was equipped with brand new oven, hob, fridge, kettle, toaster, dishwasher (great for the breakfast dishes), washer/dryer. A small dining table with two chairs gave us somewhere to eat. There was a multi-channelled flat screen tv,dvd player and ipod dock. Everything we could possibly need.

There is a Waitrose supermarket and Marks and Spencers nearby so we bought our breakfast from there. We ate out most of the time for other meals as there are numerous restaurants (offering every type of food imaginable), cafes, and other supermarkets within a 2 minute walk.

It is situated in a perfect location for getting around London. Trendy Notting Hill is a short walk away with fabulous restaurants and shops. Two underground stations are nearby, lots of buses to choose from and a great area to walk around. Hyde Park, a five minute walk. Oxford Street, a short bus or tube ride.

We enjoyed a good night's rest. The street was quiet and the bed was very comfortable and had large storage space underneath.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, storing our bags for us when we checked in early and helping us with them when we checked out.
They were very knowledgable about the area and gave us good directions every time we asked for them. I would strongly recommend Space Apart Hotel and intend to stay there the next time I am in London.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Stayed here for a weekend and had no complaints. If you like modern funky places then this is for you.
Room. Although the room was small it was well kitted out with Sony LCD TV with DVD player, ipod dock ( still take a charger as it wont charge) , air con, iron, hairdryer, electric bed!, nice shower. A small built in kitchen was fitted with kettle, dishwasher,and fridge. There is a 2 ring hob and oven but we never cooked as so many nice places to eat on the doorstep. I suppose the kitchen is OK to make a light snack but I wouldn't want to cook Sunday dinner. An ice machine was near the left. Free wifi was available.

Area. A few pubs and many restaurants nearby selling food from all over the world. My favourite was called Tuk Tuk which is opposite the tube station which sold Thai / Malaysian food at bargain prices. Plenty of supermarkets nearby.
Nearest tube is Bayswater, out of the station turn left, to the main road past the shopping centre then left again then left at Nandos.

I have honestly nothing negative to say about our stay there. We paid £240 to stay there for 2 nights.

Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Travellers have to be aware of the fact that this is not a hotel. Not even a serviced apartment. Unserviced short stay apartment maybe a more accurate description. I would suggest the Space Apart Hotel consider changing their name and removing the word "hotel" and avoid even "serviced apartment" just in case of causing misunderstanding.

We arrived early (8-ish) and understandably the room was not ready. Somebody was visibly cleaning up the room that we were to stay in but the reception firmly states we cannot check in any time earlier than the official 3pm. Which is not very flexible or helpful but understandable for admin purposes.

When we went out we asked the reception for a map. He right away suggested we buy our own until we clarified we just want a simple map showing the route from the hotel to the tube station. Another small gesture suggesting the staff here are not quite used to the idea of servicing their guests.

We stayed for 5 nights and there was no cleaning service, not even a change of towels, throughout. This is not quite within our expectation but, still, tolerable. I washed our own towels, dry them, and throw our own rubbish. The only thing I cannot do myself is to vacumn but we can live with some dust.

But what I really cannot understand is why the "hotel" provides a full kitchen but only one dish washing machine tablet even for guests who stay for 5 days. We asked the reception for a replenishment and got the answer that one "starter" tablet is all we get. Being non-locals, it took some time to find and the smallest pack comes in pack of 20. So we went back and asked if the reception can sell to us because there is no point we buy a whole pack for the remaining 2 days. He flatly said no (with a frown). This is small detail but this is very frustrating.

For the same price (we paid GBP140 per day for my 5-day stay) there are better value-for-money options than this. Bear in mind the rooms are quite small one practically sleep next to the kitchen (which is not very nice when one is aware of a dish washer full of oily dishes), and the toilets so small you can touch the walls without spreading your arms too wide. The only good thing I can say of the hotel is one of their reception called Andreas who is helpful and seems passionate about his job. But only one helpful staff is just not enough.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Space Apart Hotel? Share your experiences!