“Quiet, Convenient, Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 John Islip Street, London SW1P 4DD, England (Formerly Mint Hotel Westminster)   |
Ranked #186 of 1,075 hotels in London
Cape May, New Jersey
“Quiet, Convenient, Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here for the four nights we were in London. This is without a doubt the QUIETEST!! hotel we have ever stayed at. The staff was professional, yet friendly and always helpful. That goes for the front desk as well as the wait staff for breakfast. There was a large variety to choose from for breakfast (normally an extra charge). My husband very much enjoyed his breakfasts. I did not. I found the meats to be very salty and could not wrap my head around mushrooms and beans for breakfast. I enjoyed the freshly cut fruit on our first morning there. The remaining mornings, I found the fresh fruit to be "off" a bit - as though it had been sitting overnight. My breakfasts consisted mainly of 2 to 3 small very tasty danish, juice, and coffee. As regards the coffee - it was extremely strong and not to our taste. I simply asked to have a pot brewed "not quite so strong". There was no problem. The staff obliged without complaint.
As for our room itself - it was quite small. There was very limited drawer and closet space. The bathroom was very small and inconveniently laid out. Space to put toiletries while in use was also limited. I understand that this is common outside of the US and Canada. We found ways to work around it - mainly by allowing an extra half hour or so to get ready in the AM.
The location suited us perfectly. It was within easy walking distance of all the main sights we wanted to see in the Whitehall/Westminster area. Restaurants were close enough to walk to. This hotel is in what we would consider the business district, so it was all the more quiet after 6PM or so. If you want to be ion the thick of things and do not wish to walk a few blocks for meals and sights, this is NOTthe hotel for you. If you want to be near enough for sights and meals and entertainment, but want peace and quiet in the evenings - this IS most definitely the place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are supposedly quieter. We were on the 2nd floor away from elevator and stair...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
D0laO, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Mike P,

Thank you for your kind review of the DoubleTree Westminster. We appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed feedback regarding your recent stay, and are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your feedback is important to us as it highlights areas of service in which we may improve, and I have forwarded your comments on the breakfast fruit to our Food & Beverage Manager for action. Other than this, I am pleased that you enjoyed your pastries & coffee, and that your husband enjoyed his hearty Full English Breakfast!

I'm delighted our location is suitable to your needs. We have often been described as an oasis of calm in London, as you get all the benefits of a Central London hotel without the hustle and bustle of the city that usually accompanies it.

Thank you once again for your review. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future!

3,564 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed at the Doubletree Westminster from 8-13 September 2013 for a last minute business trip. This hotel is absolutely wonderful! I was put into an executive level room, with views of the London Eye right outside my window. The room itself was very large by European standards and came nicely furnished with a Mac monitor doubling as a TV. This was my first trip to Europe AND I was traveling solo, so the personal safe was a great feature as well for ease of mind. The bathroom is of reasonable size, although there is no tub, just a shower. No issue at all for me, but if you want a bath, you'll be out of luck here. I was very pleased to have breakfast included with my room cost, given that London is such an expensive city. Breakfast was delicious and filling, with a variety of choices if you aren't too keen on the traditional English breakfast.

I came for work, but also had a bit of tourist time built in. This hotel is in a fantastic location for sightseeing, located just minutes from Parliament, Big Ben, and Westminster Abbey. Google Maps and the front desk will advise that Pimlico is the nearest Tube station, which is true. However, if you have an extra 1-2 minutes to spare, I highly recommend walking the opposite direction to the Westminster station instead. You'll pass all the above mentioned historic sites on the way, along with a few shops.

This hotel is in a great part of town. Many nights I walked back to the hotel alone from either Pimlico or Westminster stations after working or meetings with my client, but I never felt unsafe. There's a bit of construction going on directly adjacent to the hotel, but it wasn't disturbing at all. If (hopefully WHEN) I ever get a chance to return to London, I will absolutely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a London Eye view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
D0laO, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Amanda W,

Many thanks for your review of the DoubleTree Westminster following your recent stay. We appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed feedback of your stay, and are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to London.

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster, we strive to provide the high standards of service that our guests enjoy and have come to expect from our Brand. It is therefore very rewarding when this has been achieved and our efforts kindly recognised by valued guests such as yourself. I have shared your kind comments with the team, and we are all very encouraged by your kind words.

Many thanks once again. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future. Please do let us know when you plan to return, so that we may welcome you personally.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for one night during a business trip. Building work was going on across the road so wasn't so peaceful, but it is central London.

The hotel really impresses. The reception is well staffed and creates a great impression. Room was bright, clean with a comfortable bed and spotless bathroom.

There was a shower in the room rather than a bath which didn't suit me but for a short stay that's fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear J M,

Thanks for your kind review of your stay at the DoubleTree Westminster. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and are pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit.

We hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in future, and very much appreciate your loyalty to the DoubleTree Brand. Thanks again!

Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you have stayed in a Doubletree previously, you sort of know what to expect. It`s all ok, quiet, professional and friendly enough in the main, but nothing stands out. If you have never stayed in London before, the small room sizes may surprise you, but unless you are prepared to hand over serious money you will struggle to get a better priced hotel of this standard in this area. We got a really competitive rate direct from Hilton for our weekend stay to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and would probably not stay here at the advertised weekday rate. The location is everything; 5 minute walk to Westminster, 10 minutes to Trafalgar square, 20 minutes to Buckingham Palace, 15 minutes to The Mall, all of the top tourist sites are a very easy walk away. Of a weekend there is very little open in the way of bars & restaurants in the immediate vicinity, but a 10 minute walk up Whitehall delivers lots of choice. The hotel itself is pretty bland, but is in a quiet part of town, which depending on your outlook is a good or bad thing. Rooms are ok, with not much of a view. Bathrooms are very small; in our executive room we had additional toiletries other than the fixed pump dispensers. The breakfast was included and was good, with plenty of choice. If you book an exec room for a Saturday night, make sure you get the 4 drinks vouchers for the bar when you check in as the exec lounge is closed on Saturdays (although this is never explained why!)The 1st floor lounge bar is not good, it feels like an attempt at 70`s pastiche gone badly wrong. Uncomfortable furniture, horrible red lighting, zero ambience, but the waiting staff were very good and pleasant as were the majority of the staff throughout the hotel. If you have booked this hotel, specifically for “executive lounge” access & paid a premium, you may want to think again. We always stay in club/exec rooms with other hotel brands as the larger rooms & lounge access is always worth the upgrade cost, purely for the canapés and alcohol served in the evening and the quieter breakfast service. This lounge has no redeeming factors; it felt and looked like a dental waiting room, no windows at all, dimly lit, freezing A/C, a muted TV on one wall and a staff member who spoke to no-one. Very limited alcoholic drinks, White/Red wine and beer from all I could see & a small food selection. We had been mis-informed of the serving times by a front desk staff member, so arrived at 19.20pm had one glass of wine, then watched as a waiter came into the lounge and removed all of the alcohol in silence, without asking was everyone happy or would people like another drink. I`ve never seen this happen in a club lounge anywhere else in the world and along with all of the other patrons, was not impressed. The front desk issued me with 4 free drinks vouchers after informing them of the exec lounge mess up, but this meant visiting the dreadful bar lounge to redeem them. If Hilton fix the bar and demolish the exec lounge, re-position it with windows then staff it with people who know how to deliver proper customer service, it would help this hotel greatly. Concierge service and front desk, were all very helpful and professional whilst remaining friendly.Get the right rate for an exec room and it`s perfectly placed for a weekend getaway, pay anything like full rate and you are either here on business or a disappointingly expensive base for a leisure break.

Room Tip: Exec rooms at the right price (£165 p/night at weekends).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
D0laO, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear neiljm,

Thank you for your review of the DoubleTree Westminster. We appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit to our Millbank Lounge, as we are often praised on the contemporary style of the Lounge and the comfortable, relaxing atmosphere it creates. However, we understand that this may not be to everyone's personal preference, and we appreciate your feedback of your experience there. Your kind comments on the high standards of service you received in Millbank Lounge, Guest Services and at the Front Desk are much appreciated, and I have shared this with the teams.

Your feedback is important to us as it highlights areas of our service in which we may improve, and I have forwarded your account of your experience in our Executive Lounge to our Food & Beverage Manager for quality and training purposes. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience. Other than this, I am happy that you found our location favourable, and that our DoubleTree breakfast was to your liking.

Once again I am sorry that the decor of our bars and lounges was not to your personal tastes, but thank you for sharing your experience with us, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in future.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed Aug 27-30, 2013. The location couldn't be much better - walking distance to almost everything. There is a lot of construction going on right around the hotel, but we couldn't hear it inside our room (our room did not face the construction). The breakfast was good, but very expensive (almost 17 pounds). There are some places within a few blocks on Horseferry Road where you can get a comparable breakfast for about half that amount. The neighborhood seems mostly residential - at night it is very quiet, so if you are looking for nightlife, this is not the neighborhood to choose. The room was clean and in my experience, larger than a comparably-priced hotel room in NYC.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
D0laO, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear anon37,

Thank you for your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. It's a pleasure indeed to receive such positive feedback following your recent stay, and we're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster we strive to provide the high standards of service that our guests enjoy, and have come to expect from our Brand. It is therefore very rewarding when this has been achieved, and our efforts so kindly recognised by valued guests such as yourself.

Thank you once again. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights and we felt instantly welcomed- who isn't by a warm cookie on checkin?! It was great to be so conveniently located, easy walking distance to Westminster and Pimlico tube stations as well as all the big tourist attractions. I would very highly recommend the breakfast, even more so now that our travels have continued for 2 months now and we are yet to find another that comes close!! My husband was like a five year at a birthday party- beautiful fresh food and lovely service!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Erryed,

What a pleasure it is indeed to receive such glowing feedback! We're so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay, and are especially delighted that you love our signature DoubleTree Cookies!

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster, we strive to provide the high standards of service that our guests appreciate and have come to expect from our Brand, and it is always nice to know that we have succeeded in this venture. I will be sure to pass your kind comments to the Chef and the Breakfast team.

Thank you once again. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand in general and our Property in particular, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future. Please do let us know when you plan to return, so that we may welcome you personally.

Frisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our room was very clean & streamlined; nothing super fancy but that's okay. Despite the major construction all around it, the neighborhood is quiet & upscale. They are building upscale highrises right next to hotel. Easy walk to Westminster Abbey & other highlights (if you like to walk). Concierge was very helpful. Love the hot cookies at check in! Didn't have a king bed for us but we checked in early. Bed too hard for our bones.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Joyce D,

Thank you for your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. It's a pleasure indeed to receive such positive feedback following your recent stay, and we're delighted that our location, facilities and service are well-suited to your needs.

I am sorry that you found the mattress too firm for your tastes. We appreciate that our guests have preferences when it comes to the firmness or softness of a mattress, and we are happy to accommodate these preferences. Mattress toppers are available on request for those who like a softer bed, and we also provide bed-boards for our guests who prefer a firmer mattress. Please feel free to take advantage of this complimentary service on your next visit, and kindly accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment.

Other than this, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future!

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel London - Westminster? Share your experiences!