“Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montana

You added Hotel Montana to your Saves list
Hotel Montana
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 - 18 Argyle Square | Kings Cross, London WC1H 8AS, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #708 of 1,050 Hotels in London
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
“Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

If you have a jammed packed schedule and literally want somewhere to rest your head you can't go too wrong. I paid £60 for a single room with shower and sink (no toilet.) It was clean and had everything I needed in it for a night stop over. I was nervous about the shared toilet however it was very clean at ALL times, if very small! The breakfast was good for the price of the room and the dining hall was immaculately clean and presented nicely.
The hotel overlooks a classic London square, a nice view except for during my stay it was nice weather and the local street drinkers conducted a leisurely afternoon which they did not interrupt with trips to the loo (why would you it seems when you can wee in the gardens!) Late at night the street/square filled with young adults who were not particularly obnoxious but were just noisy by their sheer volume. This noise went on until past 1 am.
The hotels walls are thin and you can hear your 'neighbours' however during my stay the people in the hotel were all very quiet and I only heard noise at reasonable times.
If you are looking for somewhere cheap to rest your head it's an OK bet... Just tire yourself out in London and you will sleep like a log!

Oh and before I forget on the plus they had tea milk and tea bags for 5 cuppas.... not bad for a single room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Customer service is Soviet style.

Location is good, but street/park outside frequented by aggressive drug dealers. Other guests in hotel are drunk and loud. Doors banging all night. Shared toilet is horrid. Beds are child size and not full length. No mattress protector. One rubbish pillow which had to fold in half. Shower in the room makes room damp and shower smells. No shower gel. Nowhere to hang wet towel. Gum all over room carpet. Room stank.

Breakfast was disgusting.

Tip: book earlier and stay at the nearby Crescent Hotel in Cartwright Gardens. Amazing what difference you get for same price just gets booked out too quick)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Central UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

First off, its cheap! So I'm writing based on that. I booked a twin room with shower at 24 hours notice for 65 quid - in a quiet square near Kings Cross, I think that's a pretty good price. I had B4, so down in the basement. Decent size to be fair - I've stayed in smaller rooms in more expensive places! Shower and sink in room but no loo - up 1 flight of stairs. So not ideal. To be honest for 65 quid I wasn't grumbling but would have given 5 stars for a loo in the room. Room was clean and tidy, bed fairly comfortable and there was a spare pillow if you needed it.

Quiet apart from the lack of noise isolation from other rooms - I could hear footsteps upstairs occasionally and woke up to upstairs (or next door, not sure) using the shower or running water in the sink or something. Otherwise no real complaints - was cheap, I slept ok, and it was clean. And the shower had plenty of pressure and hot water, although for a 6 ft chap like me it was a bit cramped. Just as well I'm not overweight!

Great location 3 minutes walk from Kings Cross. Ideal for a cheap bed for the night, which is all I needed. More than 1 night, I'd go a bit more plush.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We are 4 ppl with big luggages and I saw the bad review about room in the basement. So when I booked the room, I ask for the room that's not at the basement, and ask for quiet room. When i arrive the hotel.. I have a big surprise becos they put us into the basement room, street-side noisy all time. Exactly the contrary of what i asked for.. All of us are disappointed and hopeless. The room at the basement that i mention here is room number 3, it's the worst room of this hotel. From this room u can here every single things which take place on the street, the room above u, ppl eating in breakfast room. Even exhausted traveler like me, still found difficulty to sleep peacefully all night. It's very budget price for good location but for me.. it's my worst mistake. Destroy good atmosphere in London every time we came back and sleep. Unfortunately we booked for a whole trip which is 3 nights. After we complain about the room. They change the room for us but at the 3rd night. first 2 night was a nightmare in London. Finally last night we can really sleep in the room number 4. The wifi is poor quality. Anyway the breakfast was rich and great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Had a family room in the BASEMENT of a tired old building with far too many doors. Staff spoke awful english. Breakfast 7-9am on the weekends?? Dirty room. Great location. £140 I paid and feel completely ripped off.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

2 minutes walk from kings cross. £65 for a double room overlooking argyle square with breakfast included. Very friendly staff. If you want luxury you'll need to go elsewhere but if you want a very convenient, friendly place to stay you can't go wrong

• Stayed April 2014
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We did not pay a great deal for our 1 night stay. I booked online and thought that the room included a basic ensuite but I think this is a fault with the websites advertising this hotel and not the hotel itself. Our room (G6) was a double room with a TV with a freeview box, tea making facilities and a bathroom style sink. The toilets and showers were shared between 3 rooms and located very close by. I concidered our rooms to be clean & secure but basic - just what we required. The hotels decor is worn and dated but the staff very helpfull and pleasant. We enjoyed a good nights sleep in comfortable beds. When my friend and I went for breakfast it was busy and we joined a table of 6 which already had 4 people sat down for breakfast. The people we joined for breakfast were very pleasant and we enjoyed their company. The breakfast was delightful! Full english breakfast buffet cooked lovely - (I think this was the reason why the breakfast room was so busy as people were tucking into seconds. Also I noted that the toilets and shower were cleaned often. If you are on a budget this is a decent hotel. I have paid slightly more for better in this area but you get what you pay for. I left this hotel feeling very happy that we got value for money. I would return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Montana? Share your experiences!