“Good location. That's it. ” 3 of 5 stars

Jubilee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Eccleston Sq, London SW1V 1NZ, England (Victoria)   |
Ranked #849 of 1,063 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Good location. That's it. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

For a budget traveler like myself staying in a convenient location is a must. Close to both trains, buses and subway (Victoria station) this low budget hotel fix the bill., that's where the good history ends ., and for that only I'm giving it a "average" rate. Rude staff (except for the lady who as far as I saw was the only woman there) without any sense of hospitality, especially the guy who worked the overnight shrift, he looked and sounds like he wanted to shoot me every time I dare to ask him a question, but as I was paying my money I didn't pay him to much importance. Dirty room , nasty bathroom , smelly hallways., but the bed was soft I have to add. Let's put it in this, As a dude I can spend a couple nights in those conditions but I wouldn't take my partner or any of my family with me. The wifi is free they will give you a code valid for about a hour, but one morning this old guy who also works there wanted charge me $1 BP for the service. Dishonesty. If you have an extra low budget for accommodation and wanna stay in central London go for it but do not take bad mouth from the staff., remember you are paying their salary for the day.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

No matter what is your budget - DONT STAY at this crappy hotel. IT SMELLS, BAD SERVICE, FLIES. old cramped dusty rooms. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. We had to ask for a toilet paper holder, blow dryer and RAID bug spray. STAY away from this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Liskeard
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have just arrived home from a weekend in London where we stayed at the Jubilee Hotel. The good points are great location as you are a couple of minutes walk from Victoria coach station and the tube line. Clean bedding and good sized rooms. The bad points are dated, dirty bathrooms. The breakfast is so disorganised its a joke. The room is not big enough to cater for the amount of rooms and the staff don't say two words. You have to keep asking for tea and coffee and toast. You are however, presented with a yoghurt on arrival. We had a problem with flies and were told it was basically our fault for having the window open. They did compensate us with money off but that was a struggle. You basically get what you pay for. Great location but poor service/hotel.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

If you are ONLY interested in price and location, then stay at the Jubliee Hotel, it is a cheap place, and as to be expected, with worn furnishings, no toiletries, sparse towels, sullen employees, starchy breakfasts but IT is near both the bus and train station and for that I would've at least given it 3 stars but because of their unethical, dishonest behavior I am giving them one, and hope that a person that does want to deal with an ethical operator stay away, so they realize behavior like that DOES have consequences. There are many places near by on High St, go and walk and look there. Short story is I was told one price and on check out, I had to pay a much higher price, if you want to read long story, see below.

I had to find acommodations due to my couchsurfing host who I was originally going to stay with suddenly not responding. When I got to Victoria station I went out the entrance without the hotel booking office so didn't know what to do as I planned to use that. A woman from my cruise ship told me that the Jubilee Hotel was cheap so went to a Starbucks where I tried to book it online directly with them but their website didn't allow that , no clickon booking. Booking.com, DOES let you book with them easily and because I have no phone in UK and they said there was only one room left, I did so.

After I got there, the elderly man at the desk, informed me that since I was single I should look at a single room not the double which the website said was all they had. There was a tiny room on the first floor but had a shower but no toilet. He then told me that they had one with toilet ensuite but were higher. I quickly told him,I'd just take that room. When we got back to the counter he told he would give me one of the better rooms, a single with ensuite toilet and shower for the same price. To make sure I understood him, I verified that info 3 X, pointing to the original room, saying the same as THAT room, and repeating the price on the tariff on the wall 45L. He said yes, yes, but unusually since they have a sign say that sometimes you may be requested to pay upon check in, was somewhat surprised that he told me to pay upon check out. The second night, a different clerk said that I needed to pay them then and instead of 45 L a night, 78L. He said that showed what I was booked for. I told him that I was NOT given the room that I was originally booked for but a much, smaller cheaper room (I was actually in their "lobby" when other travelers came by and booked it so KNEW that the twin room was rented out elsewhere.)

After some back and forth he begrudgingly gave me the 65L fee which was what the single ensuite was rented out for (he just said the he couldn't give me the $45 L one, I speculated it was for room taxes etc. and he did nothing to dissuade me of that.) The next AM I spoke to another room clerk, and he said that since I had originally been booked (BUT NEVER STAYED) in the more expensive room, I should have had to pay for that rate and that they did me a big favor for charging me the regular tariff of 65 L (because they had to pay commission to booking.com-the point that I never STAYED in that room somehow escapes their logic).

When I returned on my last day from the siteseeing to pick up my luggage, I met the elderly man. The kind, genial man was replaced by a man whose face was almost unrecognizable, it was so contorted with anger, he said I should not only not paid the price on their tariff but paid a HIGHER price (interestingly enough he NEVER denied that he promised a lower price.) They have people who walk in off the st. so readers of Trip Advisor who chose to boycott someone who acts unethically, won't probably hurt them that much and I hope you DO. Some of the staff where a bindi on their forehead but I don't think the Hindu religion advocates lying so it's a pity that THEY do it there as if their money was more important than their principles.. The two staff members were not privy to the conversation so they were not to blame other than they wanted to charge me for a better room than they know I did NOT stay in (and the first one let me believe that the higher charges were due to taxes instead of the regular rate for that room) but the owner who does NOT wear a bindi and thus may be more unethical than the staff that does, probably did this deliberately otherwise why did he insist on me paying AFTER my stay? Again, do NOT stay there, there are many hotels around that area who may be as cheap and do not have that sickingly smell of incense in their dining room which is their only lobby. I can't report them since I was charged the price for the room quoted in the tariff. In the future I would pay in advance especially if I was told I would pay a lower price in their tariff and use booking.com as a reference point and book directly with the hotel if it's the same price, booking.com charges them a 20% commission, had I thought about it, I should've said "give me the lower rate and I'll be happy to pay you back the commission."

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The Jubilee hotel is quite handy for central London and is only a seven minute walk from Victoria main line station (4 mins from coach station). As you might imagine for the price, it's fairly basic but adequate. Suitable for families on a budget and students etc. Continental breakfast is included though service felt a bit like they were doing you a favour. Wifi is not free (understandable for an economy hotel). The triple room we were in had the dimensions of a railway carriage (long and thin) and the bathroom was minute but as mentioned, we were not expecting the Hilton! One note on which they should be highly commended (and please Jubilee Hotel, take this as a USP, not an opportunity to hike price) is that you can leave bags in the dining room during the day for £1 each as opposed to £10 at Victoria station left luggage. All in all, a good place to stay in central London if you are on a budget.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Spent 4 nights at the Jubilee April, 2014 to see London sites. At 89 pounds per night, the Jubilee is affordable accommodation close to many of London's major attractions and Victoria Station, but the staff is non-communicative and the rooms are very small and not as clean as they should be. We found packaging from previous guests under the bedside table. Breakfast is included, not fancy, but the yogurt, cereal, coffee/tea and toast are adequate. The website features photos of a garden that we expected to be part of the Jubilee property. It isn't and is only accessible to residents of the area who have keys. This is misleading and should be clarified on the website. For a couple of nights the location and price may trump service and cleanliness, but I couldn't recommend the Jubilee

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

There is a limit to the quality of a budget hotel.
I'm sure there are meant to be standards even for budget hotels, this one is below any reasonable standard for an operating Hotel.
My wife and I booked this hotel last minute due to an unexpected trip to London,
We were amazed at the lack of cleanness of the toilet/shower, the size of the toilet/ shower room.
you cannot use the hand basin (NO Plug) with the door shut, we've uploaded some pics
the bedroom was approx 7' wide and sold as a double!
The breakfast is less than satisfactory, continental type only!! choice of 4 cereal, toast and a yoghurt!, No pastries, Croissant, cheese, meats, fruit!
in fact we didn't bother after the first try!
The only good thing the Hotel has for it is location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Jubilee Hotel? Share your experiences!