“Good value, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Athena Hotel

Save Saved
You added Athena Hotel to your Saves list
Athena Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110-114 Sussex Gardens | Paddington, London W2 1UA, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #723 of 1,055 Hotels in London
Saint Julian's, Malta
“Good value, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Hotel is just 5-10 mins walk from Paddington station, which is ideal for taking the Heathrow Express train and London tube. Rooms were recently renovated and where kept clean. Our room was reasonably sized for a double bed in London. The English breakfast is adequate. It included cereals, fruit salad and toast. The hotel has a good sized lift, which is a bonus when carrying luggages.
Wi-Fi at this hotel is not free. The shower in room 36 lacked some fittings, such as towel rails and hooks, and the shower mixer plates were missing. The tile grouting was not thoroughly cleaned. There was also some rust coming out of a shower wall.
All these things being said, I didn't complain and would return to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mount Zion, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Friendly staff, decent price for Great location, 10 minutes from Paddington Station on foot. Our room was a smallish family one. Outdated needed some work. Breakfast will fill you up if not most spectacular. Looks just like every other Victorian hotel on this street.

Room Tip: Ask to preview room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel has a policy of taking your money on arrival!! do so at your peril as they total ignore complaints and disapear behind the scenes to avoid answering your complaints.

I have stayed a couple of times now and sadly have now resorted to feedback as despite promises they have not made contact to discuss my concerns.

cooked breakfast is poor quality prepared by unqualified staff and is often cold.
the breakfast room smells of cig smoke from the staff smoking at the back door.
fire doors wedged open
Some rooms are refurbished but some such as the dump my family and I were put in are not.
room 7 had a broken toilet seat, stained mattresses, mould growing in the bathroom, dirty shower head, which is a legionella hazard in some cases, and a wall heater so badly placed thst it burns the person in the bed it is next too.
Staff are evasive and will not deal with concerns, they also bump bookings if someone else offeres a better price than you paid. Abolutely no concerns about taking your money and ignoring your concerns.
You may be lucky and have a good stay or you may get a terrible experience

But money is their god they place this above any customer satisfaction.

Room Tip: make sure its a refurbished room the rest are filthy, also check mattresses and covers for bodily fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

A group of 5 of us stayed here when we were having a weekend in London. We were going to the Hard Rock Calling Event so wanted somewhere close to Hyde Park that was cheap and cheerful that could accomodate 5 of us. We were at the concert 12 - 12 so were not spending much time in the room.

We arrived and there was parking outside. We paid the deposit and were shown to our room. Many of the rooms are like dorm type, mostly for backpackers and people travelling through. Our room has its own bathroom. The room was very basic, dressing table area, one double bed, one single bed and a set of bunk beds but did us fine. The room was nothing special but we had a tv, mirror and cupboards so that's all we needed. It worked out at £20 a person for the night which was fantastic, we were also a 10 minute walk from Hyde Park and the surrounding area was beautiful, so clean and quiet, was hard to believe that we were in London!

The avenue we were on had so many hotels like Athena and was lined with tree's.

I would definitely stay here again. We had breakfast the next morning, as much toast as we could eat and orange juice, coffee and tea. Breakfast was very basic but for what we paid for our room we never minded.

There was not much noise from other guests and fitted the bill for what we wanted out of our weekend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

After weeks of careful online research I decided to look into Athena, i was looking to plan a 3 night trip to london, i had a reservation at the dorchester and tickets to see shrek at drury lane thursday and a show at the 02 arena friday.
what i wanted from a hotel;
-cheapish
-reasonable price parking space near hotel
-short distance to most tourist attractions
-close to the tube
-close to the 02 and park lane
-clean hotel

Athena seemed to offer all of these things, i called up the hotel and was quoted around £297 for me and the fiance for 3 nights, and a bonus, you get a fried brekkie (before you get excited its on the smaller side, but will fill your belly until brunch)
car park was 15 pounds a day and its a first come first serve basis for the parking, but if you cant get outside we were told about a church you could park near, went on and booked, no problems, rang up week before to confirm, no problems.
arrived in london, using a sat nav we found the hotel pretty easy, i to tend to go on the cheap side of hotels, but thats just me, i will have an expensive hotel if im not paying ;)
looking at it from the outisde, i was pretty pleased, parked right outside the hotel, no problems, i had a gut feeling something bad would happen to the car but its quite out the way so no one would need to go near it, the hotel entrance was literally metres from where we parked the car. No problemo!
okay so i go into the hotel, i walk over to the man at reception, tell him my name, go to ask a question and ..... oh sorry whats that, hes gone and answered the phone WHILE im talking, WITHOUT excusing himself....i work with the public 5 days a week and sometimes have to excuse myself, but i would never walk away from someone speaking to me, this then puts me in a bad mood, and i become a little... lets say touchy.
right fiance comes in, we pay for the hotel, parking space get the key, no problem
(the reception is rather nice, quite clean aswell and the men at reception do always look immaculate)
so we go off into a little door and then into a lift up onto the 3rd floor (not a fan of heights, but i have stayed 10 up before so im usually okay)
get into the room... okay so it reminded me of a studio apartment, wooden flooring, very bright lights, clean, nice colourful pillows,yeah its on the small size, then i walk over to the window, its open so i look outside and down, i plan my escape route and its a long way down, theres really not much hope for me if i needed to jump out, it would be half and half as to whether i would make it, so i close the window, lock it...theres nothing for me to lock and i dont mean a key, just a general catch.... this is a problem, hubby to be is a HUGE sleep walker/jumper/shouter, what if he tries to get out the window in his sleep?
im now really doubting staying here, right lets check the bathroom... it STINKS of cigarrettes, someone has clearly had a crafty one at some point and its soaked into the walls, i cant stay in this room, i tell the fiance, and after a HUGE debate, off he trots to the reception (i was always told to view a hotel room before i paid, i will now)
he comes back up, new room key, this time in the basement, sounds good to me, open the door, yes okay its a little musky and a bit retro maybe hasnt been decorated since late 90's maybe, but its bigger, and just feels comfortable and safe, i can get out the window (its a basement where the outside is just below pavement level but its open, not underground) its just a place to lay my head each night, first nights sleep, very comfy, nice bathroom, basic, waters not too hot and theyve stuck the shower so its only warm/hot it doesnt get hot hot, how i like it. first day at breakfast, sat at the table and waitresses came straight over, take order and its there in minutes, food is a personal preference so what i do like someone may not and vice versa.
our first day out to park lane... fanstastic to get to, so i come out of hotel, 2 minutes right, 1 minute right again, and the tube is right there. about 10 mins on the tube and i got to my destination, and about 30 mins to travel to the 02 friday. no problems for the rest of my trip, no problems checking out, no problems with the car.

All in all, this hotel is basic, it is clean, a little 'mature' but its a bed, its comfy and its safe, there is food, there is hydration, 24 hour manned desk, its cheap, theres a parking space, and its close to the excitement of london.
i enoyed my stay, and after being a 'diva' at the start as the man likes to call me, the rest was fine. no problems.

Room Tip: basement, its right by dining room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a great location - 2 minutes to Paddington or 5 mins to Lancaster Gate tube. The breakfast included was not too bad - there was a choice of hot food as well, which was nice.

The room was poor. The bathroom door and tv cabinet door had stains on them. The bathroom sink was blocked. There was a generator outside which was noisy through out the night and my heating wasn't working the first night there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Leiden, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I paid more than 90 pounds a night to stay here for 4 nights, for a onepersonsroom. when I arrived they put me, without asking, in different hotel (of not even 2 starres). The room smelled, was noisy, the light was broken, the bed was rock hard and the room itself was not even 4 m2 big. The day after they promised me the rest of the stay a triple room to make up for the first terrible night. Then they put me in a triple room where there was a constant noise in the bathroom, like vaccume cleaner is continuesly on. I asked them if there was something like a button to put it off, there wasn't so i had to deal with it. Then when i came back the third day they changed my room again, and put me in the smallest room possible again - ánd moved my stuff without asking! Now I lost some papers, receipts and usb stick because of them moving my stuff. and when i'm complaining about they changing me everyday they pretent like i'm asking too much of them. I asked them 3 times if they can look again for my usb stick and receipts but everytime they said come back later.
Overall very very bad service and no understanding

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Athena Hotel? Share your experiences!