“Delicious food, great menu” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, great menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

You can tell from the menu that this place is a different proposition to the traditional local chinese proposition. The menu is extensive and takes in three regional types. Being a major fan of hot and spicy food, the Sichuan and Hunanese styles appeal greatly. I would love to come here with a large group of friends so we could try more of the dishes on offer. As it was we had delicious pork dumplings in fine, silky cases, outstanding twice-cooked pork (with added chilli), delicious fried greens with garlic, while my girlfriend had the sweet & sour king prawns (excellent).

Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

France
“Different, delicious, worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I love Chinese food, but so many of them, in so many countries, are so very predictable and the quality is often mediocre. But not here. Lots of things you rarely see on Chinese restaurant menus: offal, for example (try the liver - it was excellent).

I loved the food - and with 4 of us we had quite a wide selection of things to try: nothing disappointed, and nothing tasted like "variations on a stir-fry".

Some of the dishes are very spicy - not a problem for any of us although I can imagine this coming as a shock to anyone not used to it (see "predictable" above!).

I had a small chuckle at one table complaining that not everything arrived "in order" - they'd clearly never eaten in China, where things are brought out as they are ready, wonderfully fresh. This was clearly the case here, so we just sampled what came, as it came, which was great.

The prices? Very reasonable for London, and for something so well done.

The setting is nothing special and rather sober, but quite honestly a pleasant change from a forest of lanterns and tassels, which most Chinese restaurants seem to favour (remember those "pictures" with fluorescent bits and pseudo-moving water?).

The service was competent (even though it was busy) and pleasant, but not over-fussy and definitely not disinterested. Just not particularly approachable either!

I'd give the place 4.5 if I could - and 5 if the setting and service had been just a little more classy and polished.

Last tip - I don't know how they make such fantastic gyoza with a soy sauce to die for - and if the staff *had* been a bit more present / friendly I'd love to ask what sort of soy sauce it was, or what they added to it.

In short, a superb evening and a must for our next trip to London.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good food but they can't get all food served togethererEr”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have been to this restaurant a few times the food is good but the problem is they can't get the food in the table at the same time
Every-time we have been they serve maybe the vegetable dish it goes cold by the time the other dishes come then always have to ask for the rice and the rest of the food is stone cold by the time everything is on the table
Such a shame as the food is good
I have been a few times and always had the same problem

“Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Visited here with a group od friends the summer and again in September 2013. One of the party lives in Shanghai and he stated "this is the best and most authentic chinese food I have had anywhere outside of China". The food is fantastic especially if you like spicey stuff.

Visited September 2013
“The best in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I am originally from Toronto where the standard and variety of Chinese Food is easily accessible and affordable. The quality of Chinese food in London is definitely poor in comparison and much more expensive!

I am so happy to have found this restaurant. I live really close by. The food is always piping hot when served (exactly how I love it), you get lots of food for how much you pay, the variety is delicious, many of the dishes I order (sea bass soup, quarter duck, beef brisket, kung pao chicken, chairman mao's pork, soft shell crab etc) are not disgustingly greasy like in China Town, and the staff are always really attentive and friendly. We always order more than we can eat so that we can take the rest home to save for lunch the next day!

I have been here numerous times- probably about 20 times. I have even ordered take out from this place.

I would highly recommend. I always tell my chinese friends to come here because they will truly appreciate the food here! I even brought my mom here when she was over for a visit.

The restaurant decor is quite plain but I like that it is clean and modern. Very simple and basic but most importantly clean! The food definitely makes up for the basic decor but I hardly notice is cause the food is so good!

• Visited November 2013