“Underwhelmed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Hotel

Save Saved
You added Macdonald Hotel to your Saves list
Macdonald Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   45 - 46 Argyle Square | Kings Cross St. Pancras, London WC1H 8AL, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #99 of 521 London B&B and Inns
Mitcham boy
“Underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Solo traveller - in town for an event, didn't have the missus with me so thought I'd gamble. I say gamble because some of the absolute worst 'budget' hotels or B&B's I've stayed in have been from my home town. Yes London. This place is located in a pretty square full of similar properties. And most of them are pretty disappointing. I speak from experience. I don't know why I keep returning. The fella on reception was friendly enough, smooth check in, up the stairs to the 2nd floor key in hand to the cramped entrance to my room, which had a complete ceiling light fitting dangling from it's mounting! Open the door and the words 'cat' and 'swing' become applicable. I swear I haven't seen a TV like that for 30 years. I've also thrown better furniture into a skip. Cracked glass pane in the window, I chuckled when I saw one of those tiny bars of soap about the size of an aspirin sitting in the rusty shower rack. Toiletries. The shower was disgusting, (see pix), and soundproofing? Forget it. OK I'll try and give some positives. Bed was comfy but no way a double, heater worked well bearing in mind it was -2 and freezing ouside, breakfast in the small cellar room was adequate I suppose. And location ain't bad. And it was cheap!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montfrin, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We went once two years ago and we were willing to return. So we stayed for four days from the 10th to the 13 th of january. It's very nice place to stay, friendly, very clean. The breakfast is very good. Most of all, Paul and Szilvia and all the staff are adorable.
The hotel is ideally located wherever you come from, especially direct access from Heathrow Airport and Luton airport. Bed and Breakfast to be recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

clean, friendly staff, good prices, well located and good transports combinations, nice breakfast, wi-fi, quiet and not nosy..very well! only one suggestion: breakfast time should be until late than 9, it's too early when you are on holidays..

Room Tip: not next to the breakfast room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

we have been at this hotel recently, the staff was very helpful and the hotel was very clean as well. towels were available everyday and bed sheets were clean. the room was cleaned every day in our stay. breakfast was very good as well. i would definetly return to this hotel if i ever go to london once again,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hamrun, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here from the 22 to 30 December 2012. It was our third stay in this cosy and welcoming Bed & Breakfast Hotel. The room was always spotless with towels changed everyday. We were served full english breakfast with coffee /tea/hot chocolate and Juice in a cosy room. One could also ask for a second helping. Paul, one of the owners, was very helpful with us. The hotel is just 2 minutes walking distance to King's Cross St Pancras station and to several bus stops that take you almost anywhere in London.Even though it is so close to such a busy area the hotel is in a very quiet square, in fact we had a room at the front of the hotel and we always had a good nights' sleep. . We definitely will stay there again and recommend .it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cospicua, null, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and I must say I really enjoyed it. The hotel is very cosy equipped with central heating. Although we shared a toilet and a shower with others, they were always spotless clean since the staff is always cleaning. Also staff is very helpful and the breakfast was really good. The hotel is 2 mins away from the station so that is another reason why I'd go back. My boyfriend has been here before but it was a first for me. But I'll definitely be back if I'll ever be in London again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Was very so so. You get what you pay for. We stayed on top and no elevator which wasn't fun with our bags.
Reception man was nice enough.
Had a room facing street and even though its on a side street from a busy street it was still very noisy.
Breakfast was only from 7am-9am!!! I do not want to have to get up to get breakfast before 9am!
Toilet was shared and very clean

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Macdonald Hotel? Share your experiences!