“Good if you're on a budget” 3 of 5 stars

Dillons Hotel
and 1 more site!
You added Dillons Hotel to your Saves list
Dillons Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   21 Belsize Park | Hampstead, London NW3 4DU, England   |
Ranked #266 of 526 London B&B and Inns
Glasgow, Scotland
“Good if you're on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

As other reviews have said, the hotel is in a very nice residential area of London. It's not very close to the areas frequented by tourists, but it's a short underground ride away from the centre and is well worth it for the peace and security you get.

The hotel seems to be well run. I actually didn't encounter anyone who worked here during my stay as I arrived after 6 PM, when the reception closes, so I had to phone the owner to be given the entrance code for the door. Although this was no hassle, it means that other than phoning the owner's mobile number, you don't really have anyone to contact after 6 PM for general information. I would have liked to have been given the code for the WIFI, for instance, but I didn't want to phone the owner's personal number to make such a small request.

My room was fairly spacious and the bed linen/furniture were clean enough, but it did have a rather dusty/old feeling to it. This should be familiar to anyone who visits London frequently as I don't think I've ever stayed in a mid-budget priced hotel in London which wasn't old and dusty. For that reason you can't really expect to be in a new, modern building for the price you pay here and all you can ask is that everything has been cleaned properly (which it was).

Overall I would recommend this for anyone looking for a cheap hotel in London as, though it won't blow you away, it's perfectly acceptable and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel for a few days each of the last four years. It is a simple hotel, but the rooms are clean, the staff friendly and the location good. Breakfast is continental but adequate. Being a simple hotel they obviously do not cater for client's every whim, but if you want a reasonably priced hotel in a nice street, then this is it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Eastboune
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

The last 2 reviews do not reflect the stay I had at Dillons hotel. I found the staff to be very efficient and friendly, even letting me borrow an ironing board and iron! I has a lovely quaint bedroom at the back of the house which overlooked their garden. The bathroom and room were very clean and we had clean towels every day and the breakfast lady did not mind that we were late down for breakfast...The breakfast was basic: cereal, tea/coffee and toast with a variety of preserves and cheese but it was perfect. The value for money was great, the cheapest and nicest hotel I have stayed in for a long time and in a beautiful part of london. The locals were all very friendly and we had a couple of good nights at the XO bar in the village.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Edmonton,alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here on the recommendation of a relative. We found the staff to be very rude! The room was quaint however I ended up with 46 Bedbug bites that I still have scars from!!! It was to say the least miserable.

Stayed September 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

We stayed here for 8 nights.

Here are the positives--
1. Easy access to tube stations
2. Safe area --even late at night --and a beautiful area of London. Hampstead is gorgeous. Lots of cafes, a couple of Starbucks- they are everywhere in London, small shops, and a large park with fantastic views of the city. A great place to stay if you don't want to be in the bustle of the city 24/7. We loved Hampstead.
3. Grocery stores nearby
4. Hotel staff is nice.
5. Cheap rates for London
6. Our sheets were clean.
7. The floor was vacuumed most days, which was important since we often ate in our room.
8. The carpets in the lobby, hallways, and our room looked nice.
9. The breakfast room was pretty.
10. Plenty of hot water for showers.

Here are the negatives:
1. Our ensuite room (room 7) really wasn't that clean -- old geasy dirt/dust on top of the toilet (they have those old-fashioned tiolets where the tank is mounted high on the wall above the flush). I noticed it immediately -- significant dirt. It was cleaned when I mentioned it to the staff, but ironically, the bathrooms in the hall had the same type of dirt -- never cleaned while we were there. Not cleaning the tops of spaces was a pattern -- the top of the wardrobe, top of the shower, etc. These are spaces where one would hang a towel to dry or store items. I cleaned them.

2. The shower caulking was black. Ugh. The shower head was broken and floppy.

3. The room had a little dresser with three drawers -- one completely useless as both drawer pulls were missing. The other two drawers only had one pull each. Signficant dust.

4. We had to ask for towels -- we often only got one towel for the two of us. The towels weren't replaced every day --but that was fine with us.

5. We scrounged to get two tiny bars of soap. Bring your own shampoo and wash cloths--neither are provided, but that is typical in Europe (and not a criticism per se.)

6. Breakfast is simple -- cold cereal, toast, juice, tea/coffee. No decaf coffee. We were there for 8 nights-- they ran out of muesli and whole wheat bread during our stay.

7. No air conditioning, although we did ask for a fan and received it promptly. We were there in the spring and the temperature was fine. But in the summer, I would think the room would be beastly hot.

8. The directions they provide to the hotel aren't that great --especially if you arrive at night. It is not far down Belsize Ave, but certainly further than the distance they indicated. Also, the numbers on the houses change as you pass an intersection. So the first time you are expecting to find "21 Belsize", you won't find it-- keep going down the road until you go past a street on your right that leads to a small square with a few shops/stores visible as you pass by. The hotel is just a few doors further.

So, the bottom line is, would we stay there again? Maybe. But if we could afford a little more, I think we would try to find a place that was a bit more comfortable and cleaner. Also, I wouldn't bother with an ensuite room. The bathrooms and showers in the hall were nicer. Certainly, with a little attention to detail, this could be the best deal in London.

• Stayed April 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2005

We found this hotel - B/B a couple of years ago walking around in the area close to where we live. We have had friends and family staying there on four different occasions and they were all very happy with their time there. Most recently, in May 2005, my sister and her young son were staying there for three nights. I had asked whether they could have a single room and share the bed which they had agreed to but instead they got two beds (with bathroom/shower in the corridor) and I still only had to pay £32.00 a night (breakfast incl)! The rooms and bathrooms are clean and cosy. The breakfast is of the simple continental kind. There is no lift and if you're staying on the top floor it is rather a steep climb to get there. The surroundings are residential and Belisize Park is an affluent, quiet, leafy area of London. It is close to Belsize Park, Swiss Cottage and Finchley Road tube stations and there are several shops and restaurants both on Haverstock Hill (Belsize Park) and Finchley Road. Central London is just a few stops away. My sisters opinion of London was not very good - previously she had only been to Leicester Square and such places but before long she was converted and realized how lovely and pretty London can be. I can strongly recommend Dillons Hotel to anyone who isn't after luxury but who can appreciate excellent accomodation and a friendly atmosphere at a low price (c:a £32.00-55.00/night)

• Stayed May 2005
Zürich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2004

This is a find in my opinion: on a quiet tree-lined street, in one of the best areas of London, yet three underground stops are short walks away. The rooms are simple yet very clean, the showers are clean and hot and the towels are fluffy. The breakfast is the continental variety.

This is a good alternative to the Earls Court B&B ghetto.

Been to Dillons Hotel? Share your experiences!