“Phenomenal Hip Luxury Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ME London

You added ME London to your Saves list
ME London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   336 - 337 The Strand, London WC2R 1HA, England (Trafalgar Square / Embankment)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% discount
Ranked #145 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Phenomenal Hip Luxury Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I visited here at the weekend with my now-Fiancé. I'm not sure of the price as my other half booked but i think it was in the region of £300. The whole experience was perfect. I was sceptical upon pulling up outside, as it's new I'd never heard of it & I know a lot of top London hotels. We were greeted outside the doors & our luggage taken in for us, upon entering the building the decor is magnificent, its both simplistic and somehow contemporary extravagant at the same time, and theres a beautiful aroma.
I was offered a glass of Prossecco on checking in and our bags were taken to our room.
The room was a touch of luxury, it was massive with a Super King bed. Very spacious, black & white simplistic & modern decor. Large enough wardrobe with automatic light sensor! The bathroom was pretty special too, all frosted glass doors, large shower with 2 choices of shower head (or both can be used together) and double sink.
Wide selection in the mini-bar (which was a lot less "mini" than usual), a large flatscreen positioned in front of the bed on the wall, fully stocked with amentities & a coffee making machine.
Our room also featured a floor length window corner with views of Strand & over the thames (we were on the 6th Floor). It was top luxury.

We visited the rooftop bar, The Radio Bar, which was buzzing, lots of people, a DJ and dancefloor and centre bar. Outside on the terrace were lots of seating areas, patio heaters, blankets and beautiful views over London. Obviously very popular with non-guests who had to use separate entrances/exits, it was quite exclusive, not just for anyone, there were a few tv celebs about too.

I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for luxury, have a very good budget or are looking to go for an extra special occasion.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Hello Nikki_l_ro,

First of all congratulations on your engagement; we wish all the best for the future!

It’s a pleasure that you chose us for this special occasion and we are most delighted to have been a part of it. After reading your review we can see that you definitely made the most of your stay and we hope that you return soon to experience all that we still have on offer!

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us.

Warmest Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

it was wonderful:
Bed, breakfast, service, room, mini bar, check in, check out, clean-up, design, friendly

the only thing was not so good is the expensive wlan.
in my opinion it must be free for guests.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Hello Burrichter J,

What a review! Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience with us all.

Although we offer private internet wireless access to our guests we do provide a complimentary WIFI for all to enjoy.

It’s great to read that your stay with us was a positively memorable one and we hope that we can welcome you once again through our doors.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the ME London to celebrate a family members birthday. All I can say is, when can I go back, absolutely loved it.

PROS
Fantastic location on the Strand opposite Somerset House and only a 2 minute walk into Covent Garden.
The interior is so good, ultra modern, very dark in places especially the corridors but all part of the make up of the hotel.
The service from the staff was first class, we travelled with our young family and we felt comfortable with our children.
We travelled as a group and had four rooms between us, can definitely recommend upgrading to the MODE room type, huge room with enormous shower and the most comfy bed ever.
The URBAN Terrace rooms are also nice with a balcony, smaller than the Mode rooms but still very good.

CONS
The one thing for me that stands out which would be easy to alter is the quality of the breakfast. Everything about the hotel is amazing apart from breakfast, it really does let it down, the hot breakfast for this calibre of hotel is poor. Luke warm and kept in metal trays, I hope the hotel does something about this to improve the quality of food and presentation.
Sometimes the room key would not work in either the lift or room due to mobile phone but no major issue.

The hotel really is superb, there is no way I would want to score lower but please, sort the breakfast out.

Hope to be back soon,

Room Tip: I had room 608, no noise and very spacious, MODE category
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Hello Grahame_atTC,

We love a good review! Especially when it goes into detailed feedback; thank you very much for this.

We are saddened that you did not enjoy the breakfast service and we are currently looking into this matter.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back whenever you’re ready just give us a bit of a heads up so we can personalise your stay next time.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed at ME London last week for 1 night courtesy of the ME chain after a poor experience at ME Barcelona. I took a friend and despite requesting a twin room it was made up with a single King which was later rectified. It was a good sized room, well equipped with a great view onto the strand. Checking in was definitely a 5* experience; the staff were very helpful and the glass of prosecco certainly impressed. The interior lighting was very dark in both the corridors and the lift; very cool but not very helpful. I have reviewed the Italian restaurant, for dinner separately. The same restaurant hosts the hotel breakfast which was excellent. I would certainly eat breakfast there again, although not dinner.

Where the stay was ruined for me was our experience trying to get a drink in the roof top bar. The bar was occupied many with non-hotel residents. We were there very early, hoping to get a drink before our dinner in the on-site Italian restaurant. Despite several empty tables on the roof terrace we were not allowed to sit there as they were reserved. Eventually I attracted the attention of the bar concierge who at least managed to get us some drinks, which due to the wait, were on the house. We stayed for about an hour and during that time many 'reserved' tables remained empty. I felt that my guest and I didn't fit the desired 'Customer' profile and were treated as such. If I had paid for my room I would have been even more unhappy at the poor service received at the Roof Top bar. I would expect hotel customers, paying 5* prices, to get priority in the bar.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Mandy P,

Thanks so much for writing a review and sharing your experience with us!

Although you’re stay with us was courteous gesture we are so glad that we were able to reclaim your overall perception of our ME-by-Meliá brand back to a positive one.

Our Radio Rooftop Bar can be quite the destination due to its popularity with guests and locals alike and thus become very busy. Most patrons opt to reserve seating in order to guarantee spaces which is highly recommended.

We would love to have you stay with us again and might we ask if you can drop up an email or give us a call in advance so we can personalize your stay.

The Kingdom of Fife
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I booked this hotel primarily as it is a 5-star hotel close to Theatreland and it would be easy to access from airport and it has got a lot going for it. It also, unfortunately, has a few quirks and issues I've read in many other reviews and can agree with.

Good:
Location - spot on for theatres, Covent Garden, Embankment etc., all the parts of London we like best.
Architecture/design - I'm an amateur architecture fan so I loved it - the outside is pretty plain, but inside the public spaces it's truly amazing. The atrium is just sensational, I defy you to gape!
Room - well-finished, reasonably well appointed but pretty small. Bed was terrific and we slept as well as we have in any city hotel
Food - we only had breakfast, were on a B&B deal and many of the sevice issues mentioned previously on TA were no longer an issue. Buffet was pretty limited but of good quality.

Not so good:
Room - TV stopped working, and as it was so late at night I didn't pursue this at the time - never worked again for the whole stay (although didn't really want it that much)
Room again - shower doors, wrdrobe door, shutters etc are all stainless steel & glass - they clang and clank horrendously when opening & closing and don't close properly. Very poorly designed, they need some sort of dampening or gaskets to calm them down.
Room again - decor was a bit scuffed in places and security lock was broken off of the door.
Staff - very variable. All seemed very friendly but not necessarily helpful or practical. For example, on arrival concierge insisted on taking our (2 very small trolley-style) cases from us, then followed us into lift & to reception, and then to room. We were quite capable here and he offered nothing other than a shadow. Also, at breakfast we were told to help ourselves to a table and... that was it. No other service to speak of.

Overall: I booked this through a 3rd party site at a really good rate compared to rack rate so probably got one of the poorer rooms but it was still fine. It is in a great location and to be honest, I would probably still return but would go for a higher-spec room. Probably a 7 out of 10 but not a 4 out of 5 based on our room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hello Fife_traveller,

Thank you ever so much for this brilliant feedback, especially with the detail that you have been able to take the time to go into. This is the best way for us to understand where we are and how best to continually maintain standards and improve our service to all of our cherished guests.

Upon reading we can safely say that all of these issues are currently being dealt with and we are trying to stay ahead of the game by continuously updating all of our products and services.

It is great to see that we are still able to make your stay positive overall but it’s very worrying that were not able to make it 100% perfect.

We would definitely like to have you again with us in the future so that you can tell us first-hand how your stays differ in what we hope to be a more positive way.

Please feel free to drop us an email at melondon@melia.com with any further details you would like to share with us and should you require any assistance with future bookings.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have just come back from a London Weekend staying at ME London. From the welcome at the door to the minute we left we had nothing short of excellence. The room was beautiful. We had a MODE room on the 6th floor. There was no shower but floor to ceiling windows. (the 7th floor rooms have a bath but a small high up window which is not as nice).
Impeccably clean and ultra modern room which is much better priced than most ultra modern hotels.
The view from the Radio bar on top is simply amazing. The only downside is that non residents pile in there and fill it up quickly.
The shower was fantastic and the bed and towels the best we have ever experienced, even though we have been lucky enough to have stayed in some of the world's best hotels.
Well done ME London

Room Tip: High up room better and not 7th Floor if you want a floor to ceiling window for more light.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello surkes,

Many thanks for posting this great review and for sharing your experience with us all.

We so thrilled to read that we made your weekend with us one to remember and we would love the opportunity to do it yet again!

We are sorry if you felt a bit crammed in the Radio Rooftop Bar; it’s become such a popular destination with locals and on weekends it can become “the place to be.” We often advise guests to enjoy the bar at earlier times or on weekdays when it’s less busy should they choose a more serene atmosphere to soak up those amazing views of London’s cityscape.

We look forward to welcoming you through our doors in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I spent two nights at the ME London last week (March 10/11) and had a fabulous experience. I was greeted on arrival by the Concierge who took me up to the 1st floor for check-in and was given a complimentary glass of Prosecco which was was a lovely greeting. The reception area is a beautiful marble room with a light show at 8pm each night and it pyramid shaped - quite amazing. Our room was on the 6th floor and despite the corridors being very dark the room was beautiful. Very modern and streamlined. Huge bed and nice crisp sheets. Large bathroom with great shower head. I had a phone call to make sure everything in the room was ok including instructions on how to use the lighting panel on the wall which also controlled the air conditioning system. There was a Nespresso machine for coffees which was really nice. We had cocktails at the rooftop bar - great view on the 10th floor. It's very busy there so advisable to book or at least enquire how busy it is. We only had breakfast at the hotel which was substantial with great choices and lovely fresh fruit and juices. The coffee wasn't as good as the bedroom! A really convenient location for theatres, restaurants. Taxi ranks right outside the hotel and the 2 tube stations (Temple and Covent Garden) within 5-10 minutes walk. All the staff were extremely polite and couldn't do more to help. A really great experience and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hello LIZ C,

We’re so thrilled that your experience with us was so brilliant and we also look forward to your return; perhaps let us know a bit in advance so we can personalise your stay a bit more for you.

Our location is truly one of our biggest factors and we are so lucky to be here. Our architecture is courtesy of the amazing work done by the ever so creative team at Foster and Partners who managed to somehow design a space that continuously teases the senses with jaw-dropping surprises around every corner.

Fingers crossed, the sun may show its lovely face on us in London and we hope that you can check out how the Radio Rooftop Bar morphs into the perfect destination for daytime relaxation!

Warmest Regards.

Been to ME London? Share your experiences!