“Enjoyable and informative!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Benjamin Franklin House

Benjamin Franklin House
36 Craven Street, London WC2N 5N, England (Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square)
+44 (0)207 839 2006
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #278 of 853 Attractions in London
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Benjamin Franklin House is the world's only remaining Franklin home. For nearly sixteen years between 1757 and 1775, Dr Benjamin Franklin - scientist, diplomat, philosopher, inventor, Founding Father of the United States and more - lived behind its doors. The Historical Experience presents the excitement and uncertainty of Franklin's London years using his historic rooms as staging for a drama which seamlessly integrates live performance, cutting edge lighting, sound and projection technology.
London
11 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable and informative!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Conveniently situated near Charing Cross station, this atmospheric 1730s house is well worth a visit and is good value. For £7 (£5 if 65 or over, or £3.50, National Trust) you will have seen the house where Benjamin Franklin spent 16 years - becoming in practice the first American Embassy.in London. You will also have learnt a lot about Franklin's life and times in an entertaining way. One tip, the stairs are narrow and steep and you may struggle a little if you have mobility problems.

West Bloomfield, Michigan
“A GREAT find for any tourist visting London.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I found the Benjamin Franklin house in one of my tour books as I was planning my family's trip to London. I am a history buff and so naturally I wanted to check it out. I went with my mom, who is not at all interested in history, and she loved the experience. I say experience because that is what it was. The BF House was not just a museum but a living experience of BF's time spent in London. There was a live person, an actress you can say, who took us through the house and acted as the house's owner's wife who lent a room to BF while he was in London. I learned a lot and felt like I was at a play not a museum. The only bad thing that I would say is that it is hard to find and there is not much, if any, signs pointing you in the right direction.

Visited July 2012

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Athens, Greece
7 attraction reviews
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Visiting Benjamin Franklin s House was a great experience! You expect boring displays and period furniture but finally you join a live show which is run by a very talented actress! I liked that I learned more things about Franklin by watching a show!! The environment made me feel like I was there during 18th century! The staff is very friendly!

northants
12 attraction reviews
“Not what you think”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The house is empty, no furniture in place. A tour guide just takes you in empty rooms and tells you the history of Benjamin Franklin

Melbourne
“Brilliant! Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

A most innovative way of narrating history. The visitor follows an actor in period costume from room to room of the Benjamin Franklin House as she narrates the events that unfolded when Benjamin Franklin lived here.
Such an original way to learn about history. I will return to visit the B.F House when I return to London.

Visited July 2012