“Prisoners have it better.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dylan Apartments Paddington

You added Dylan Apartments Paddington to your Saves list
Dylan Apartments Paddington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Devonshire Terrace | Westminster, London W23DW, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #937 of 1,065 Hotels in London
London, England, United Kingdom
“Prisoners have it better.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Where to begin?
On arrival when you walk in you think you found a really good deal and a place to stay. You are quickly disappointed when you walk in to reception. Run down and smelly. The stairs are narrow making it hard to get up with suitcases, and you can see that everyone else has struggled as well with marks and holes in the wall.

Upon arrival i had to give out my debit card details, including security code if you wish to stay. I was not given a reason why they needed all this information from me. When i went back downstairs to enquirer about the internet i could see my card details and copy of my passport sitting out in plain view for everyone to see. Needless to say the card has been cancelled as soon as i left.

The walls a paper thin and you can EVERYTHING!!! The internet is overpriced and doesn't work well at the best of times. I was told my room would be cleaned everyday, they only made my bed and changed my towels. The floor was a mess and my bed was falling apart and made noises no matter what you did. The floor was filthy, apparently owning a broom and vacuum is to expensive. To use the toilet and the shower you have to leave the door open to be able to move around. The kitchen was shockingly small was only provided with one power outlet and an extension lead. The sheets and duvet cover i was provided with were torn. I had to use a coat hunger to hold the window open. I felt like a prisoner with less room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bonita Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Dylan Paddington advertised studio apartments. Upon arrival we found this to be more like a youth hostel. The bed was so small, I had to sleep on the floor the first night so my wife could sleep on the narrow bed. When we informed the manager the room was inadequate for our needs and we had to leave, he refused to provide any kind of refund thus in effect charging us $643.00 for one night's stay. Citi Bank would not intervene saying it was a foreign country. Stay if you are a single student, but don't do business with these people if you want a comfortable lodging and value your pocketbook.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Dirty, smelly refrigerator (smelled of dead animals), stove did not work, blowing the circuit breaker everytime we tried to use (staff refused to fix), lights blew circuit breaker - left in dark all night. Night staff "Only here for emergencies", could not replace the bulb. Woman in office (manager I presume) was the WORST person I have ever met when it comes to customer service. She was obnoxious and RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. Unaccommodating and agrumentative. Plenty of places to stay - I agree with FNBSunburnt... Tear it down and start again... with NEW STAFF!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Upon checking in, all payments were required to be paid upfront for the stay. This wasn't a problem until we requested for a refund when the conditions got unbearable.

First, we had a shower that the water could not drain. Then the maintenance guy came and pulled out the hairball, after which it was still poor, but workable. Secondly, there was 7am to 6pm construction noise non-stop next door was so loud that the wall next to the bed was vibrating. (a hammer-drill going into a shared concrete wall is not a pleasant experience)
The final straw was when the stove stopped working.

We first asked for a refund/cancellation of some of our remaining nights and they flatly refused (we would have been totally happy with losing 1-2 night cancellation fee), claiming that we “agreed” the room was fine before we moved in. The reality is we got ASSIGNED the room after we paid, had a token of assistance with getting our luggage down to the deep bowels of the most bottom room (being shown the way as it was not easy to find). Then told that this was our room and left with the key. There was no verbal agreement of acceptance and definitely no offering for alternative options.

Their initial resolution for the stove was to say the least, pathetic. We were asked to use the stove in another room, but not eat or stay in that room for very long as it was needed to be kept clean as there was another guest arriving and no rooms were available for the night. The suggested solution was ridiculous for the simple reason that we had paid for a room with cooking facilities, and reserved the right to use them at any time, and not be restricted to
the time, duration and frequency to the use of the kitchen, and require permission from the staff every time to access the other room.

After a half-hour of patient and polite reasoning with the manager (never once being offered any reasonable alternative, or partial compensation for the lack of facilities) my partner decided the best thing was to wait quietly in reception to await word back from their maintenance contractor on fear that if he was not physically there to remind them, we would not likely get a resolution before the staff went home for the day.

After another half-hour of waiting they very reluctantly came up with a final solution of moving us into another room. Yes you heard correctly, there was in-fact another room available! (to say that another way, we had been flat out LIED to)

The kitchen in the new room worked, but there was an exceptional reek from the pipes in the bathroom, but what choice did we have at that point.

Another annoying issue with the kitchen facilities is that they provide no cleaning products. At first we thought they might service the apartment, and then we were told that we needed to buy them ourselves. It's not the cost, it's the inconvenience!

In the end we paid for 6 nights and left after 4. We lost 2 nights of payment but it was not worth the pain.

It was by far the most unpleasant experience we had in UK – would never go back there again and would implore each and every single prospective guest to avoid this place at any cost!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Before booking this hotel, I have read the comments on this page. I was very aware of good and not so good things about this accommodation. Thus I had little expectation. Que sera sera-.... However, I was very lucky. I booked a single room, but I was upgraded into a double bed room, with kitchen, telly, toilet and shower. It was not luxury of course, but more than enough, since during my stay, I left quite early in the morning and I came back very late. There was also room service, thus when I came back the room was tidy and clean. It took some time (around 10 minutes) to get the hot water. The receptionists were very professional and kind. I was not disappointed at all. The location is also perfect, close to the paddington train and subway station, and also bus stop. There are some nice pubs and restos around. Hyde Park is within minutes of walk. Surely I will come back to this place again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dylan Apartments Paddington? Share your experiences!