“Basic, clean hotel handy location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Classic Hotel

Save Saved
You added Classic Hotel to your Saves list
Classic Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Sussex Gardens | Hyde Park, London W2 1UH, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #641 of 1,073 hotels in London
Omagh
“Basic, clean hotel handy location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

stayed here with 2 friends, for a girls weekend away in london. Hotel was easily found. Very friendly reception staff. Room was on 3rd floor up steep steps, no lift. So might not be great for a family. Our triple room was very clean, yes could have done with a paint but meet our needs. Bathroom is tiny but clean. Only down side i would say for this hotel is the tiny basement room that breakfast is served in. I was not a huge fan of the breakfast on offer. Cup of tea and bowl of cereal would be as far as i would venture. All in all, prefectly fine stay here. if you looking for clean basic hotel, in good location this hotel will meet your needs.

Room Tip: out room was at the back of the hotel, really quite which was great-
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I checked in on 1st May 2013, having done our booking online. Our room was on the third floor - up a set of the really small staircase. luckily the guys at the reception carried our bags for us!

Breakfast was included in the rates and they were at the basement. so yes, there was a lot of huffing and puffing up and down endless steps each way.

The bathroom was the smallest I have experienced in any part of the world. everything was literally at arm's length. the toilet, sink and shower cubicle fit into an area around 4 feet by 2ft (i may be wring but it felt that tiny). to get into the shower cubicle, i had to inch my way in, careful to arrange my limbs go to in piece by piece (and I'm only 58kg, 5 feet 3in). you could not shut the shower cubicle without the door pushing in the shower head. if you bent over the sink to rinse your mouth, your bum would be pushing the bathroom door open - so make sure its locked! there was no way to towel yourself inside the bathroom as you could not swing your arms enough to do so. hence it was just a matter of patting yourself dry.

nonetheless, the service provided by Ali, Ahmad and another guy on duty was exceptional. They were extremely helpful, assisted in booking tours, and even offered rock buns as we walked in one day.

the location was a short walk away from Paddington Station, so that was a plus.

be warned. you need to be fit to traipse up and down all those stairs, and you need to be petite to use the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Think my comment above says it all. It was alright - think would have felt slightly different though if work hadn't been paying for it!

Stayed in room 10. Nice furnishings, pretty rose bedspread and in all fairness, clean enough. But sash window was rubbish and could hear all traffic noise on a busy road in Paddington (which was noisier as had been raining) ALL night - there was no double glazing, shutter or anything. Shower was mini but could have handled that if temperature was consistent but went scalding hot when had conditioner in my hair. I couldn't adjust temperature despite repeated attempts so in the end had to swill my hair over the tiny sink with a teacup!

Thought I'd grab some breakfast and grab I did as the room is horrible. Lady serving was nice and pleasant enough but with limited English I just about managed to get some toast and work out that I had to dump my tea bag on the table after making it myself as there was no bin I could see?

I had to race to catch the tube so didn't mention any of the above to Reception on the way out which I normally would if had an issue. The traffic noise for me prevents a decent night's kip - essential when you are working the next day.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 10 if you want to sleep...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A great location. But you do not want to go to this hotel.

1. A huge stair climb, particularly if you have a room at the top;

2. A rather bizarre breakfast in a room that is too small, and is almost dungeon-like.

3. I have never been in a smaller room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The main reason for selecting the hotel was the location and rating of 7.2 it received on Trivago. To be honest the staff were friendly but their english wasn't great which is why they may have smiled a lot and not really understood. I have never been in a double or single room so small in my life, you literally had to navigate the room by walking on the bed if two people were staying there. I'm not a tall guy but the bathroom was about the size of a wardrobe. The room had been cleaned but no one had spent more than 5 minutes a day doing so. I was particularly unhappy about finding a curly black hair (you know the type I mean) on the white bed sheet (both me and my partner have blond hair). On the road outside the hotel is a loose manhole cover that banged evertime a car drove over it and it's quite a busy road (although this is not a direct issue with the hotel it did effect or sleep and enjoyment). None of the coffee sachets or milks were replaced with the daily clean (I know this is quite petty but it is also a cheap thing for the hotel to do and has an effect on the satisfaction). The breakfast was fair apart from the scrambled eggs that had been there a while (despite only half an hour into breakfast time) as they where an unappetising greyish colour on the bottom. Overall I would not recommend this pokey hotel or ever visit again.

Room Tip: Unfortunately I don't think they have any.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Arriving at this hotel the area looked impressive as we had our two children with us. Then it came to parking our car which by the way the guy at the hotel insisted £15 had to be paid in cash!
When entering our room it was clean and the bathroom was new but i wasn't too sure on not being able to lock the bedroom door from the inside ( no lock)
Then it came to breakfast time oooh dear. A tiny little room where many people had to wait by the doorway for a seat. When inside it was so small people couldn't even move around and was very surprised that this room was even passed as a breakfast room?!
People carrying hot kettles over your head in such a tiny space is just dangerous. Breakfast was ridiculous so we just grabbed a piece of toast and left.

One postive from this stay is that is was only one night.

• Stayed March 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Cleanliness is a must and I have to say from our 1 night stay and approx only 9 hours in the hotel it was clean but...
The bed was very small, good job I suppose as the room was only tiny.
The bathroom made us laugh, you could have sat on the toilet, cleaned your teeth & had a shower at the same time, tiny!
The shower did not make us laugh though, a bit more than a dribble but cold, just cold. Snowing outside so even luke warm would have done.
Breakfast room as cramped as the bedroom and choice of food very basic but ok, the temperature of the beans only a degree or 2 warmer than the shower.
Would we stop here again, no. Would we recommend it, no. Sorry but not a Classic

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!