“Do not go here” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Classic Hotel to your Saves list
Agoda.com Orbitz.com
Classic Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Sussex Gardens | Hyde Park, London W2 1UH, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #709 of 1,071 hotels in London
Hamilton, Canada
“Do not go here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A great location. But you do not want to go to this hotel.

1. A huge stair climb, particularly if you have a room at the top;

2. A rather bizarre breakfast in a room that is too small, and is almost dungeon-like.

3. I have never been in a smaller room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The main reason for selecting the hotel was the location and rating of 7.2 it received on Trivago. To be honest the staff were friendly but their english wasn't great which is why they may have smiled a lot and not really understood. I have never been in a double or single room so small in my life, you literally had to navigate the room by walking on the bed if two people were staying there. I'm not a tall guy but the bathroom was about the size of a wardrobe. The room had been cleaned but no one had spent more than 5 minutes a day doing so. I was particularly unhappy about finding a curly black hair (you know the type I mean) on the white bed sheet (both me and my partner have blond hair). On the road outside the hotel is a loose manhole cover that banged evertime a car drove over it and it's quite a busy road (although this is not a direct issue with the hotel it did effect or sleep and enjoyment). None of the coffee sachets or milks were replaced with the daily clean (I know this is quite petty but it is also a cheap thing for the hotel to do and has an effect on the satisfaction). The breakfast was fair apart from the scrambled eggs that had been there a while (despite only half an hour into breakfast time) as they where an unappetising greyish colour on the bottom. Overall I would not recommend this pokey hotel or ever visit again.

Room Tip: Unfortunately I don't think they have any.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Arriving at this hotel the area looked impressive as we had our two children with us. Then it came to parking our car which by the way the guy at the hotel insisted £15 had to be paid in cash!
When entering our room it was clean and the bathroom was new but i wasn't too sure on not being able to lock the bedroom door from the inside ( no lock)
Then it came to breakfast time oooh dear. A tiny little room where many people had to wait by the doorway for a seat. When inside it was so small people couldn't even move around and was very surprised that this room was even passed as a breakfast room?!
People carrying hot kettles over your head in such a tiny space is just dangerous. Breakfast was ridiculous so we just grabbed a piece of toast and left.

One postive from this stay is that is was only one night.

• Stayed March 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Cleanliness is a must and I have to say from our 1 night stay and approx only 9 hours in the hotel it was clean but...
The bed was very small, good job I suppose as the room was only tiny.
The bathroom made us laugh, you could have sat on the toilet, cleaned your teeth & had a shower at the same time, tiny!
The shower did not make us laugh though, a bit more than a dribble but cold, just cold. Snowing outside so even luke warm would have done.
Breakfast room as cramped as the bedroom and choice of food very basic but ok, the temperature of the beans only a degree or 2 warmer than the shower.
Would we stop here again, no. Would we recommend it, no. Sorry but not a Classic

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've just recently come back from this hotel after a weekend away with the family. We decided to book this hotel as we had a pretty good deal & the location is perfect, especially if you have a lot of luggage with you as its literally a 5 minute walk from Paddington station.

We went to the hotel just to dump our bags off as we were too early to check in but didn't fancy lugging it all across London. The guy on reception can only be described as Mr Personality. Trying to get any information from him at all, you may as well give up. When you read up on this hotel it says they have a luggage storage facility hence why we went to leave our stuff there. However, there idea of a 'luggage storage facility' is actually leaving it outside of the door of someone else's room so make sure you have ALL valuables on you if you are going to leave your luggage there!

When we went back in the afternoon there was a different guy on reception and he was very helpful, happily answered any questions we had and even offered to help us with our bags. He did tell us about breakfast but as we had to leave before breakfast was served unfortunately i cant comment on this. But then as you walk towards Paddington there definately isn't a shortage of places to chose from i.e burger king, mcdonalds, costa ect.

The room itself is very basic. If you are literally just looking for somewhere to sleep for the night its ok but other than that you are better off to try somewhere else. The bathroom is very small to the point we were stood in the doorway to clean our teeth! But it does come with a tv, hairdryer, tea/coffee facility so you do have your basics.

Overall, i would say this hotel is ok if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep and don't want to pay through the nose to stay near the station. Unfortunately it isn't a hotel i will be returning to again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed one night, as did a colleague. When we walked in, I felt like walking right out again but was too tired to go out looking for another hotel. My room was basically a shoebox in the basement with odd furniture and dusty corners that looked out at a wall. The breakfast room is tiny, dark and depressing. The only OK thing was the coffee. I've stayed in hotels in Paris and other cities with small rooms many times, but never as bad as this. I felt embarrassed on the behalf of everyone in the UK about what people from other countries might think. Take my advice and go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The location is good,walking distance from subway and train station, so i can travel with to the heart of London and suburbs like Windsor. There were groceries and fast food around, but nothing quite good to eat.

i like the big windows and the balcony,but the carpet was a bit dirty.The toliet is tiny but quite tidy.

Narrow staircases. The breakfast room is underground and quite small. Limited choices of food but I think it's better than that I had in NYC...(my goodness there was just carbs....)And they provided fruits. Yet when I want to make myself instant coffee in the room, I found only cups but no spoons. I went to the reception for it, that guy said the breakfast room was closed and nothing he could borrow me....what the hell?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!